[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline pegasus
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250. C-scope cs6 p.i
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 04:08:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just wondering, if you had to pick one and one only, which one would you go for

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg57253.html#msg57253

Offline dgerst
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Treasure Baron Cointrax II, BH2200, Compass X-80
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 01:09:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'd have to include the Discovery Electronics Treasure Baron Cointrax II, also sold as the Kellyco Cobra II. Yeah I'm partial since I own one, but it holds its own quite well against very expensive new machines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg57856.html#msg57856

Offline galileo
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GMT 1650CEC / Compass X200 / Tesoro Tejon
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 02:54:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hoping this is the right place to post this, I'll proceed....

I've been sidetracked, thanks to the schematic of a Gold Mountain King Cobra coming my way.  I have a working GMT 1650 and some years ago, I opened it up, copied out the PCB layout and made another (a clone) to drive a spare 4 inch coil.  Much of the PCB was unpopulated and numerous connections were flying, so it was obvious that the PCB was made to serve more than one set of model electronics.  Well, reference to the aforementioned King Cobra schematic, reveals that the PCB (which bears the legend GM1 on the component side) was laid for the King Cobra and that the electronics for the GMT 1650 are mounted on a board that probably wasn't designed with dual model usage in mind.  I see things like a flying lead off a ground balance preset and passive components soldered directly onto the pins of chips.... half of an LF353 brought into use where the original copper had it idle (as per King Cobra schematic), etc....  Looks like the 1650 may have been an afterthought and was liad on the KC's board to save the not in those days insubstantial expense of designing another PCB.  All very interesting stuff and given the apparent interest in the GMT range of detectors, and their scarcity, I'm embarked on a project to construct a King Cobra and in due course, subject to satisfactory completion, to post any and all information that I'm able to glean with regard to the layout of the common PCB and the respective component placements.

Compliments of the season one and all

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg63956.html#msg63956

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by galileo
Hoping this is the right place to post this, I'll proceed....

I've been sidetracked, thanks to the schematic of a Gold Mountain King Cobra coming my way.  I have a working GMT 1650 and some years ago, I opened it up, copied out the PCB layout and made another (a clone) to drive a spare 4 inch coil.  Much of the PCB was unpopulated and numerous connections were flying, so it was obvious that the PCB was made to serve more than one set of model electronics.  Well, reference to the aforementioned King Cobra schematic, reveals that the PCB (which bears the legend GM1 on the component side) was laid for the King Cobra and that the electronics for the GMT 1650 are mounted on a board that probably wasn't designed with dual model usage in mind.  I see things like a flying lead off a ground balance preset and passive components soldered directly onto the pins of chips.... half of an LF353 brought into use where the original copper had it idle (as per King Cobra schematic), etc....  Looks like the 1650 may have been an afterthought and was liad on the KC's board to save the not in those days insubstantial expense of designing another PCB.  All very interesting stuff and given the apparent interest in the GMT range of detectors, and their scarcity, I'm embarked on a project to construct a King Cobra and in due course, subject to satisfactory completion, to post any and all information that I'm able to glean with regard to the layout of the common PCB and the respective component placements.

Compliments of the season one and all

This topic should be copied and pasted into a new message under the DIY section. Leave it here, though, as the topic is about the best detectors. Clearly you believe it is. Start a new topic in DIY and the discussion will ramble on with a life of its own.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg63975.html#msg63975

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: