[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GregBeamTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites M6. Garrett Ground Hog
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:27:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm thinking about getting a second coil for my Whites M6 using my bonus bucks.  Should I get the 4 x 6 Shooter Eclipse or the 6" coil?  Most of my detecting has been in parks in Central CT and places where there is alot of Aluminum metal buried.

Greg

East Hartford, CY

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6003.msg36576.html#msg36576

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GregBeam
I'm thinking about getting a second coil for my Whites M6 using my bonus bucks.  Should I get the 4 x 6 Shooter Eclipse or the 6" coil?  Most of my detecting has been in parks in Central CT and places where there is alot of Aluminum metal buried.

Greg

East Hartford, CY

Buried? Now that's funny. In fact, I may be laughing for days over that one.

Dig the aluminum and get it out of the way. Do that for a good stretch of ground and then go over the area again but much slower. I don't mean slower in terms of how fast you walk but turn down your threshold and swing your coil slower. A single pass from left to right with an overlapping swing is best. Your single pass speed should be annoyingly slow but when you hear a faint signal, dig it. Do this for every signal and in a short while you'll have some older targets.

The aluminum masks your deeper targets. As annoying as it is to dig them, try this technique and see if you don't increase your finds. Of course, the newer parks won't yield any older coins but the older ones will surprise you. Do a bit of research on rainy days to see when they were built.

Good luck! Well, half is luck - the rest is developed skill.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6003.msg36583.html#msg36583

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GregBeamTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites M6. Garrett Ground Hog
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, I'll try it.  What do you think about the coils?

The aluminum was small pieces of aluminum siding or sheet metal and pull tabs and flattened cans.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6003.msg36765.html#msg36765

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:16:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

On my understanding, I would get a small coil.  The small coils can sift through the trash better than a large coil could.  So, since there is a lot of aluminum there, it would be best to get the small coil so that you can single out the good and bad items.  Though, you still might have to dig up some but mainly you can detect certain items easier with it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6003.msg36767.html#msg36767

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

For reasons of physics, aluminum always sounds much bigger than it really is when you detect it. The technical reason is that magnetic eddy currents are set up on the surface of the aluminum even though the material isn't magnetic. Those eddy currents make the aluminum seem like a hard target rather larger than the mass would indicate. When you dig up a pulltab or pop top, they're always smaller than the sound indicates. When you realize that the detector, no matter how good it is, will eliminate some very nice things like rings and gold objects if you get rid of the aluminum, it makes no sense to discriminate against the metal. Your choice of coil will not affect the detecting of aluminum. That's all down to your detector and your settings on the detector.

Like I said earlier, if you eliminate the aluminum, you eliminate some other choice targets. I know it seems quite daunting to dig all that scrap metal out before you get to the real juicy stuff but if your area is old enough to have a lot of good stuff, one valuable find can make it all worth while. In the mean time, think of all the good you are doing for nature getting rid of that stuff from the ground.

Regarding coils in general, I'd see about a Concentric coil, Coplanar coil, a 4 inch coil for tight areas and a 10 inch coil for deeper targets. I'm not sure if the M6 ever had a Double-D coil.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6003.msg36768.html#msg36768

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:26:23 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: