[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dr.dtector
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Gold Member

FALSE CAUSE A BANANA DONT HAVE A BACKBONE
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 07:46:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gadget1961
Thanks no just kidding  im kidding,,,   OK   now this is for mapsource topo maps , what is the difference between minutes and seconds on this map as you can use a variety of ways to read it

MAPSOURCE..YOU MUST HAVE HAND HELD GARMIN.SOMETIMES I AM RETARDED & I THINK THIS IS ONE OF THOSE TIMES..
THE DIFF. BETWEEN MINUTE & SEC IS 59 SECONDS..I'M NOT ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION I KNOW BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR REAL QUESTION IS YET.. Huh?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1735.msg15506.html#msg15506

BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Gold is where it's left behind.
Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 10:22:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi i have a question , what is the difference of the degree of when you read a map as the lat and long of feet and the difference of reading in seconds how close of a distance is it to pinpointing by useing your gps unit for measurement and how close of a reading is it in a area  ex: is it a 10 ft area or 20 ft area difference . thanks  hope you can understand what im asking  this is for cach hunting from a map for map dowsing

A degree of latitude is 60 nautical miles, or 69.04 statute miles. A minute of latitude is equal to one nautical mile, or 6076 feet; thus, a second of latitude (6076 divided by 60) is 101 feet, 3 inches. Conceptually and practically, latitude is the same no matter where you go on earth; however, in reality it varies from 69.41 statute miles per minute at the poles to 68.70 statute miles per minute at the equator due to the earth bulging slightly from its rotational spin.

Longitude, of course, varies in length according to degree of latitude. The following is a sampling of longitude lengths for selected latitudes, beginning in the southern US and working north.

30 degrees North, (approximately Houston, Texas) a degree of longitude is 59.96 statute miles, 5274 feet per minute (almost equal to a statute mile), 88 feet per second.

35 degrees North, (approximately Albuquerque, New Mexico) a degree of longitude is 56.73 statute miles, 4992 feet per minute, 83.2 feet per second.

40 degrees North, (Kansas/Nebraska border), a degree of longitude is 53.06 statute miles, 4669 feet per minute, 77.8 feet per second.

45 degrees North, (Montana/Wyoming border), a degree of longitude is 49.00 statute miles, 4312 feet per minute, 71.87 feet per second.

49 degrees North (US/Canada national boundary), a degree of longitude is 45.40 statute miles, 3995 feet per minute, 66.59 feet per second.

50 degrees North (approximately Powell River, BC, Medicine Hat, Alberta, and Winnipeg, Manitoba), a minute of longitude is 44.55 statue miles, 3920 feet (1195 meters) per minute, 65.34 feet (19.9 meters) per second.

55 degrees North (approximately Ketchikan, Alaska and Dawson Creek, BC) a degree of longitude is 39.77 statute miles, 3500 feet (1066.8 meters) per minute, 58.33 (17.78 meters) per second.

Finally, 60 degrees North (southern border of the Northwest Territories), a degree of longitude is 34.67 statute miles, 3051 feet (930 meters) per minute, 50.85 feet (15.5 meters) per second.

Please Register or Login

Calculator:

Please Register or Login

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1735.msg15511.html#msg15511

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:24:49 pm by oRo »
Offline dr.dtector
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Gold Member

GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 06:05:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

superb info as per oro..but lets not forget factoring in & calculating the curvature of earth if distance requires..
this essential calc if not included could mean the diff. between yes & no Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1735.msg15515.html#msg15515

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:09:13 am by dr.dtector »

BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline LarryB
Bronze Member

KoolyKanuk
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

3553.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro,Nexxtek,Micronta
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 09:53:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to our forum Brittanicus. Thanx for the insight and stuff too. Hope to see you communicate with some of us here in these threads, on this post (#1)  that you started. We welcome another one of your posts sometime in the future. Smiley

Oh ya, all that other stuff, I didn't know Jack about. Well, now, after all the above threads and everything, I  feel like I now know even less.  Sad  Sorry for being such a blank folks.  Huh? See Doc, I knowd I shuda went to proper school and learned more importent s__t! Grin

lb

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1735.msg15529.html#msg15529

Metal Detecting keeps us young...
lb

Please Register or Login

Offline dr.dtector
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Gold Member

GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 11:22:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

no school required..simple desire or need only Embarrassed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1735.msg15530.html#msg15530

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 12:04:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by oRo
hi i have a question , what is the difference of the degree of when you read a map as the lat and long of feet and the difference of reading in seconds how close of a distance is it to pinpointing by useing your gps unit for measurement and how close of a reading is it in a area  ex: is it a 10 ft area or 20 ft area difference . thanks  hope you can understand what im asking  this is for cach hunting from a map for map dowsing

A degree of latitude is 60 nautical miles, or 69.04 statute miles. A minute of latitude is equal to one nautical mile, or 6076 feet; thus, a second of latitude (6076 divided by 60) is 101 feet, 3 inches. Conceptually and practically, latitude is the same no matter where you go on earth; however, in reality it varies from 69.41 statute miles per minute at the poles to 68.70 statute miles per minute at the equator due to the earth bulging slightly from its rotational spin.

Longitude, of course, varies in length according to degree of latitude. The following is a sampling of longitude lengths for selected latitudes, beginning in the southern US and working north.

30 degrees North, (approximately Houston, Texas) a degree of longitude is 59.96 statute miles, 5274 feet per minute (almost equal to a statute mile), 88 feet per second.

35 degrees North, (approximately Albuquerque, New Mexico) a degree of longitude is 56.73 statute miles, 4992 feet per minute, 83.2 feet per second.

40 degrees North, (Kansas/Nebraska border), a degree of longitude is 53.06 statute miles, 4669 feet per minute, 77.8 feet per second.

45 degrees North, (Montana/Wyoming border), a degree of longitude is 49.00 statute miles, 4312 feet per minute, 71.87 feet per second.

49 degrees North (US/Canada national boundary), a degree of longitude is 45.40 statute miles, 3995 feet per minute, 66.59 feet per second.

50 degrees North (approximately Powell River, BC, Medicine Hat, Alberta, and Winnipeg, Manitoba), a minute of longitude is 44.55 statue miles, 3920 feet (1195 meters) per minute, 65.34 feet (19.9 meters) per second.

55 degrees North (approximately Ketchikan, Alaska and Dawson Creek, BC) a degree of longitude is 39.77 statute miles, 3500 feet (1066.8 meters) per minute, 58.33 (17.78 meters) per second.

Finally, 60 degrees North (southern border of the Northwest Territories), a degree of longitude is 34.67 statute miles, 3051 feet (930 meters) per minute, 50.85 feet (15.5 meters) per second.

Please Register or Login

Calculator:

Please Register or Login

Great post oRo and nice link.  Thanks for the info.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1735.msg15636.html#msg15636

Stringfrenzy

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: