[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline phillee024Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:13:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings All,

My Name is Phillip and I am a newb to the site but not new to detecting. I used to be very active seeker of lost things when I was younger and had funds I could waste on my countless hobbies but that was 20 years and 3 kids ago. I am a military and college educated electronic engineering technician(Basically an over-educated electronics technician) that is no longer able to work in my field due to a back injury that I received while serving my country that has now come back to bite me in the backside. I don't want to completely throw away what I have spent my whole life working on learning so I figured that instead of shelling out money that I don't have to line someone else's pockets to buy on off the shelf detector that may or may not do what I want it to do.
I've looked through a lot of the plans and idea's that other members have posted on the site but most seam to be incomplete or don't really explain what that circuit would be capable of doing once I am done building it. Basically I have the means to build just about anything and I do mean anything electronic out there if I can get my hands on a decent schematic and parts list. I have all the software that will allow me to design my own PCB boards based on the schematics that I input into the software. I even have software that will allow me to check the project virtually to make sure it works properly.
I am a living historian as well as a hunter of relics from our countries turbulent past to share with the many school children that I try to teach. What I am looking for in a detector is something that will give me the ability to distinguish between the heavily mineralized soil in these great southern states and the lead of musket balls, brass buttons, steal hardware and gold and silver that might be in the ground as well. I need something that can go deep into the ground and can be used in streams as well. I can design a housing that will be water resistant and possibly water proof because I would like to search the shallow waters off of the coast of Florida for some of that Spanish gold that occasionally washes up on the beaches after bad storms next time I go see the in-laws.
Unfortunately I am not an electronics designer and I kick myself in the ass for not learning how to design the more complex circuits that are used in the high tech world but what I can do is work wonders with PIC, designing PCB's for threw hole or SMT circuits, build incredible inductors & coils, properly & thoroughly test circuit virtually and physically. I also have the skills necessary to manufacture beautiful resin or plastic covered search coils for the detector once I get a good design to work with. I've made search coils for friends in the past and built a few basic detectors for friends in the past but I've never taken the time to build what I want and right now I just don't have $3k to $5k to drop on a brand new metal detector. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Respectively
Phillip C.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16666.msg106814.html#msg106814

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: