[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium
Referrals: 0

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tommyb

1. Is offset adjusted without a coil (or pulse set to 0)? Are we adjusting the offset so that the V at the output Pin 6 of the opamp is 0V? I know this is simple in theory but I am coming the learning curve.

That depends some are quite different in setting than others you will have to get the data sheet for that particular Op-Amp.
I set mine in this manner remove the coil test pin1 to pin 6 and pin 5 to pin 6 (LF357) I get 1.31v.

As for the delay I have set mine while presenting a gold coin to the coil there where I found the best result is where it was set it did take me quite a while as I also tried different frequencies. (Theory is good but at most time it don't work as well in practice).

If I recall I have seen that done before placing the cap and MOSFET by the coil but if I were you I'd first get it working then do all the mods that you like that way you will know if it's going better or not and you can always come back to your old configuration also only do one mod at a time (If possible)

All the best
Xavier   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23200.msg187993.html#msg187993

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline tommyb
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

91.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Xavier,
Thanks for the reply(s).  I now need to put everything in a case and get out in the yard for testing.

The bias and delay both seem to be fairly insensitive or should I say have a wide window to function. I can surely adjust them so as to make the unit barely respond to an object, but within the working range it is pretty hard to quantify the difference in detection sensitivity vs huge changes in the traces as the pots are adjusted. Maybe my workshop is noisy?

Based on the detecting sensitivity results, it sure seems that only the volume and tune pots need to be available in the field?

Ill try the jumbled coil next.
Cheers,
tommyb

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23200.msg188047.html#msg188047

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 01:16:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

True but if you are in a highly mineralized area it could be handy to have the other pots. I'm not an expert in electronics but one thing that I did find out is that even though they say that PI detectors are not affected by mineralized soil they are. I have proven it time and again this is why I now use two coils one unshielded for the beach and one shielded for in land.

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23200.msg188089.html#msg188089

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Up
Jump to: