[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline xavierTopic starter
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium
Referrals: 0

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 05:56:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

I must say that having a depth indication dose sound like a great thing to have but is it reliable wont the size of the object interfere with the reading? never mind the fact that it could be steel or silver.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg106726.html#msg106726

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 03:37:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Since most of the real pros here hunt using the all metal mode, the bells and whistles are irrelevant. As you know by now, Xavier, the detector is only as good as its TX/RX circuitry and its operator. The rest is totally unreliable and marginally correct at best. I can't count the number of rings I would have passed up if I rejected pull tabs. Depth? Forget it. A piece of foil near the surface can sound exactly like a dime at 6" both to your ears and the detector. What good is that?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg106864.html#msg106864

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Since most of the real pros here hunt using the all metal mode, the bells and whistles are irrelevant. As you know by now, Xavier, the detector is only as good as its TX/RX circuitry and its operator. The rest is totally unreliable and marginally correct at best. I can't count the number of rings I would have passed up if I rejected pull tabs. Depth? Forget it. A piece of foil near the surface can sound exactly like a dime at 6" both to your ears and the detector. What good is that?

All my machine are of the older types.

I would never use the meter except on tuning or GB!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg106887.html#msg106887

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 04:58:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'll join the chorus here.  I consider every ring and nickle I've ever found to be a trophy.  The most modern programmable detector costing more than $1k will not reliably discriminate between nickles and pull tabs so I have a choice.  I can either dig all the questionable signals or walk away from what might be a really good find.  Given that, I'm just as well off with my Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX II and I sure didn't pay a thousand dollars for it.

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg106896.html#msg106896

Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 04:55:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great comment's form all of you and I agree with all that has been said. I have been working on a VLF design as a lot of you know for some time now well actually close to two years the thing is that I'm in no hurry to finish it every time that I learn something new I apply my theory to the physical thing and it's a great stay out of trouble project I did however include a rejection mode on it   Ferrous, All Metal, Non Ferrous  I thought that it could be handy when detecting old dump sites. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg107132.html#msg107132

Xavier

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 04:31:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I only know bell & whistle Garrett gti 2000 detector, but I'm usually amazed at how accurate it can be - you do have to pinpoint it thoroughly though. I disciplined myself by only taking a knife with me and leaving all digging devices at home. I'd stab where x was and if nothing was there, I'd start all over again with the detector. My fav feature is the surface elimination where the detector only starts reporting at the depth I choose. I've found old silver dimes that others have missed due to all the clutter on the surface of the ground. I don't know if surface elim is even considered a bell & whistle as I don't know what's standard on detectors, but surely it is. I bought what was the top of the line when I got it because people on a forum kept buying the new & improved models - I couldn't afford a closet full of detectors. It was waaay smarter at detecting than me and the manual was obviously for someone with some experience. I didn't know anyone locally who even detected so I spent a summer just out learning as I, also, bought the detector online. It does lie once in awhile, but the lies are the same so I can deal with it. Very rusted iron will read as silver on the farthest notch, for example. I've learned to ignore it. The ladies voice I turned off - I didn't need her telling me the depth, size, metal - she was annoying. If a blind person wanted to metal detect, I suppose it would be a good feature, though  Smiley Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg107220.html#msg107220

Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If a blind person wanted to metal detect, I suppose it would be a good feature, though  Smiley Sue
[/quote]

I Guess as long as it's not a land mine or a rat trap  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg107231.html#msg107231

Xavier

Offline mikebg
Copper Member

I prefer to think instead to experiment
Thank you2

Activity
0%

Bulgaria

310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is great topic! TNX Xavier for starting it.
The postings in this thread gave me the idea how should be designed a LOW BAT supervisor for every metal detector. It should sound.
For now we use a red LED or battery symbol on LCD display as LOW BAT ALERT, but it is not the best solution. The worst solution was operator often to set a switch in position BAT CHK to test battery condition. However in the old Garrett machines should be used switch with two BAT CHK positions because they use separate batteries for audio section. Garrett "modernised" this by automatic battery test with meter. It operates only in the first moment after the detector is turned on. If you wish to check condition of batterries in operation mode, you should turn the detector off and then to turn again on to see how moves the needle in two steps of batteries check process. :-(.
The best design solution for LOW BAT alert is short sound pulses in large intervals when the battery is near to discharged condition. The interval between pulses should shorten  when discharge goes near to the allowable voltage minimum.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg107269.html#msg107269

Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 03:10:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Mikebg

I used an LM741 configured as a comparator with a red led that turns on once the battery reaches 10 volts it's the simplest system that I could come up with I could have it in such a way that it would tun off the detector on the other hand by using an LM339 you could very easily configure it for four different voltages lets say 11.5, 11, 10.5 and 10 volts each one giving you a different  audio pulse from long to very short then detector turns off at 10 volts come to think of it I think that I will do this on mine. Thanks for the good idea. (here we go again another mod)  Cheesy

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16645.msg107299.html#msg107299

Xavier

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: