[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ghostloccTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:37:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi everyone im new this is my first post. i am looking to build a metal detector for my school senior project that is due a month from now. i need help on the materials i need and some instructions because i have literally looke don every website and found nothing that can help. ive seen the easytreasure one with the wooden stick but i cant find any instructions or materials for that. i would really appreciate it if anyone can help me on my project by giving me some materials or easier metal detectors i can build under the little time that i have. the due date is march 15 and im a little stressed out because i think i wont get it done in enough time. please help anyone?? it will be highley apprieciated. thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10978.msg70142.html#msg70142

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

ghostlocc, I may be able to help you on this one. Since your time is short you probably don't have time for a major build. It usually takes a month for me to get everything together. The following link

Please Register or Login

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3769575.pdf
has a PDF file of a detector that is ideal for a classroom demonstration. It works and it is as simple as you can get. You will need a DVM and a soldering iron. The coil I used was 3 inches in dia and had 40 turns.  I built this as a probe and it has a sensitivity of about 2 inches for a penny. Not much good in the field but as a demonstration of the principle it will work. It uses one tranistor in a hartley circuit and a cheap AM radio as a reciever. you tune the am radio to the oscillator frequency and and wear the radio around your waist. It works better if you keep the radio and the coil at the same distance at all times. If it doesn't work the first time it is probably because the oscillator frequency is wrong or the oscillator isn't working. Buy 2 transistors and pay especially close attention to the pin out. If the first doesn't work replace it. One note of caution. When you are working with an AM radio on the bench the 60 cycle buzz from the house wiring will drownd out the oscillator. I suggest you wrap a wire around the radio several times and then wrap the radio in aluminum foil to block the buzz. run the wire to a battery terminal of your detector. After you are sure the oscillator is working, you can remove the foil and wire. (stay away from cfl bulbs they are noisy) Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10978.msg70159.html#msg70159

Offline pulper
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:09:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting and simple way to get started.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10978.msg74152.html#msg74152

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Pulper, It is deceptively simple. The patend did not mention one important requirement necessary to make anything other than a "demonstration".  A BFO working at AM radio frequencies will detect anything. Your hand or wet sand or a wooden pencil. In order to get something to work in the field the BFO frequency has to be around 100 KC. (225 will work for wet sand).  The inductance of the detector coil has to be such that the detector oscillator is beating against  a low frequency spurious oscillation of the AM radio oscillator. A cheap radio produces a number of harmonics and spurious oscillations. Some are down around 255KHz when the radio is tuned around 550 kHz. Finding the right oscillation is a trick because they are weaker than the fundamental. But it works when you find one. Gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10978.msg74237.html#msg74237

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium