[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline vpr2064Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites Surf 2
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I thought i would share a etching solution formula i found online. it works really quick and is really cheep, but it is dangerous if you don?t follow all the safety guidelines concerning the acid. Another concern I had when considering keeping the solution to re use, was after the first use it turned a really cool lime green resembling kool-aid or anti-freeze. Last thing I wanted to do is put this stuff in any kind of drinkable container so i disposed of it.

Use Caution; muriatic acid is very poisonous both from the vapors and the acid. use gloves, eye protection and lots of ventilation etc... all metal in contact with the acid will be affected so use only plastic containers and tools i.e. brush's etc...

muriatic acid (available from most hardware and drug stores) and hydrogen peroxide (the same you buy for cuts and scrapes) mixing is two parts hydrogen peroxide and one part muriatic acid. this needs to be used in a very well ventilated area like outside and not in the wife?s stainless steel sink! I etched a circuit board in about 3 minutes and could see when it was time to take it out.
I used a Tupperware container, a five gallon bucket of clean water (for safety reasons), latex gloves, safety glasses and a small plastic cup. Poured two small cups of peroxide in the Tupperware container then a small cup of muriatic acid. Placed the board in the container, the liquid turns green as the copper etches away. Took it out a couple of times and dunked it in the bucket of water to make sure I wasn?t over etching.

this is the double sided board just after etching.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg40554.html#msg40554

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:57:16 pm by vpr2064 »
Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:24:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by vpr2064
I thought i would share a etching solution formula i found online. it works really quick and is really cheep, but it is dangerous if you don?t follow all the safety guidelines concerning the acid. Another concern I had when considering keeping the solution to re use, was after the first use it turned a really cool lime green resembling kool-aid or anti-freeze. Last thing I wanted to do is put this stuff in any kind of drinkable container so i disposed of it.

Use Caution; muriatic acid is very poisonous both from the vapors and the acid. use gloves, eye protection and lots of ventilation etc... all metal in contact with the acid will be affected so use only plastic containers and tools i.e. brush's etc...

muriatic acid (available from most hardware and drug stores) and hydrogen peroxide (the same you buy for cuts and scrapes) mixing is two parts hydrogen peroxide and one part muriatic acid. this needs to be used in a very well ventilated area like outside and not in the wife?s stainless steel sink! I etched a circuit board in about 3 minutes and could see when it was time to take it out.
I used a Tupperware container, a five gallon bucket of clean water (for safety reasons), latex gloves, safety glasses and a small plastic cup. Poured two small cups of peroxide in the Tupperware container then a small cup of muriatic acid. Placed the board in the container, the liquid turns green as the copper etches away. Took it out a couple of times and dunked it in the bucket of water to make sure I wasn?t over etching.

this is the double sided board just after etching.

Excellent Work VPR !!!!! I hope all the Project Builders here on Thunting see this very important topic . Thank-You for your Great Work on this Forum so far !!
Best Regards................Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg40558.html#msg40558

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:27:59 pm by Eugene52 »

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites Surf 2
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:10:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks, love the forum, build plans and just a wealth of tips, ideas and experiences here.

VPR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg40564.html#msg40564

Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:20:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello again VPR . Maybe later , if you get some free time you can explain your method AGAIN on the photo transfer or the laser print PCB prep work method [before the etching]. I think you and or Homefire posted on that several weeks ago ? Thanks Again ...........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg40567.html#msg40567

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:22:32 pm by Eugene52 »

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites Surf 2
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:32:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Eugene52
Hello again VPR . Maybe later , if you get some free time you can explain your method AGAIN on the photo transfer or the laser print PCB prep work method [before the etching]. I think you and or Homefire posted on that several weeks ago ? Thanks Again ...........Eugene

absolutely,
I use a laserjet printer on photo gloss paper, an inkjet wont work. reason is laserjet toner is actually made from plastic and melted onto the paper with a heat roller or actual laser. to put the image on a copper board is just a reverse process. i usually darken the copy to get more toner on the paper. if the copy looks bad so will the board. prep board with scotch brite then clean with acetone or finger nail polish remover. dont use steelwool.

1. double check that you have the correct orientation of the print.
2. using a standard iron on high and no water i pre heat the board (you don?t have to pre heat).
3. place the copy face down on the copper board, be careful not to move it or it will smudge the image.
4. do not twist the iron or slide it. try to get as much of the iron on the image as possible and apply some pressure, lift it and get the rest. i do this for about a minute until i feel it is melted.
5. place the board in a bucket of water for about 5 minutes or until the paper is completely soaked then remove and peel the paper away.

The melted toner is pretty tough but can be scratched off by using to much scrubbing to get the paper off. i use my finger and rub what?s left over. check the board circuit after removing the paper to see how everything looks, if its bad use acetone remove the toner and do it again or doctor some minor areas with a sharpie or circuit pen. then i etch using the above method. drill the holes clean with acetone and iron another image of the parts on the component side.

VPR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg40576.html#msg40576

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:34:50 am by vpr2064 »
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 03:16:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

vpr2064;

Proper etching fluid is ferrous chloride while muriatic acid is hydrogen chloride. One makes use of the fact the solution prefers copper ions to iron ions, while the other eats anything, like Mikey, remember him? It may etch too fast and even undercut.

Muriatic acid may be cheap and you can get gallon jugs, in the farm center, but it is hazardous...I dont think it will do much to stainless steel. I would rather get the powder and make up my own ferrous chloride etchant.... its safer, and easier on the environment.

There I go, throwing cold water, again...... I want to look into the photo process, that may have a different etchant. Hey! its hard to make ferrous chloride.

If you are going to use the acid (muriatic means impure hydrochloric acid) I think there is a way to salvage the dissolved copper, after  all, its expensive, these days.

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg40589.html#msg40589

goldigger

Offline Allodium
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Tanzania, United Republic of

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:24:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
Proper etching fluid is ferrous chloride while muriatic acid is hydrogen chloride. One makes use of the fact the solution prefers copper ions to iron ions, while the other eats anything

I think your referring to Iron(III) chloride, also called ferric chloride, which has a two-step redox reaction to copper(I) chloride and then to copper(II) chloride. A by-product of dissolving iron ore in hydrochloric acid(hydrogen chloride in water), or of combining iron(II) chloride (also known as ferrous chloride) with chlorine
True it is more dilute and stable, not to mention hydrochloric acid is under the 1988 "United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances" because of its use in the production of several drugs. So it may be hard to find in some places, then again Gastric acid one of the main secretions of the stomach consists mainly of hydrochloric acid.

Use your imagination  Cheesy

But I have to say, this topic is golden.
I'll have to try the printer thing.

Allodium

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg44505.html#msg44505

When science finally reveals the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to find out that they are not it.

Offline dreamin
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:33:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually the copper on boards is really no weight. On a 12" X 12" board there is usually only 1/2, 1 or 2oz of copper. Now if you're etching hundreds of sq ft boards, it might make you some $. Of course you need to store the etch in 55G barrels and transport it to the re-claimers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg44598.html#msg44598

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:39:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Allodium;

Hair splitter.... I well know there is a difference between ferric and ferrous, and here, Muriatic is a farm-use thing, however, I think muriatic is too strong to have around when you can buy sodium hypochlorite/ate, at Walmart.... or even  the toilet bowl cleaner, which I mentioned, before. Its funny, I dont remember the suppliers saying FERRIC chloride/ate.  Funny

I saw a guy try silkscreen technique, once, without much success, because he did not have a proper silkscreen frame, nor a way to hold the pc board.... it smeared. A resist, that will set and resist acids, will not necessarily make a good printing ink... a commercial silkscreen resist would be needed. It is too expensive for a one time run of boards. Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg45664.html#msg45664

goldigger

Offline Allodium
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Tanzania, United Republic of

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:54:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here's a few links that go into more detail(w/photos) on this process.

Please Register or Login

First one uses magazine paper and muriatic acid

Please Register or Login

Second one uses magazine paper and FERRIC chloride

Please Register or Login

Third one uses photo paper and FERRIC chloride

Allodium

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg45805.html#msg45805

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:00:09 am by Allodium »

When science finally reveals the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to find out that they are not it.

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: