[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ron_o
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 03:48:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,

Cheep toilet cleaners / limescale removers contain Hydrochloric Acid  and surfactants , and will therefore etch the copper pcb.

Sodium hypochlorite/ate is bleach.

The etching properties of Ferric Chloride can be improved by tne addition of Hydochloric Acid
but the risk of damage to thin tracks also increases ( "eating" from the edges and going under the etch resist )

Hope this helps

Regards

Ron

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg46145.html#msg46145

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 07:46:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank-You everyone who posted on this topic so far . Now its almost so easy a "Caveman like me" can do it . Now I need to buy a cheap laserjet printer !! 
Regards.........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg46207.html#msg46207

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:48:33 pm by Eugene52 »

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 07:53:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Eugene52, it's a pity you don't live here in Perth because I have two perfectly functioning LaserJet III printers languishing in my print room just hanging onto the network in case I ever need them again. Every morning, I dust them off and they look at me with questioning buttons asking, "Will today be the day you use us?" Sadly for them, I haven't used them in 2 years time so I'm going to disconnect them and give them away. I have a few extra cartridges for them, too.

Don't tell them. I can't stand it when they cry.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg46208.html#msg46208

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Eugene52, it's a pity you don't live here in Perth because I have two perfectly functioning LaserJet III printers languishing in my print room just hanging onto the network in case I ever need them again. Every morning, I dust them off and they look at me with questioning buttons asking, "Will today be the day you use us?" Sadly for them, I haven't used them in 2 years time so I'm going to disconnect them and give them away. I have a few extra cartridges for them, too.

Don't tell them. I can't stand it when they cry.

Hello GD . Free is always a tempting offer , but shipping from Perth to where I am working now [Los Angeles] would be expensive . I have not decided yet if I will send them to a vendor or make the PCB's myself , its a time issue ........ I heard Australia is a Great place to live . Is that rumor true ?
Best Regards...........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg46221.html#msg46221

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 08:54:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Eugene52
Hello GD . Free is always a tempting offer , but shipping from Perth to where I am working now [Los Angeles] would be expensive . I have not decided yet if I will send them to a vendor or make the PCB's myself , its a time issue ........ I heard Australia is a Great place to live . Is that rumor true ?
Best Regards...........Eugene

Absolutely. Perth is lovely. It's like Southern California with different birds and no such thing as rush hour. The only drawback is the occupation by large numbers of populations didn't really begin until the 1890s or so. Not much in the way of settler relics or before since the Aboriginals were a stone age people before the Europeans got here. Their weapons were mostly fire hardened wood which also makes arrowheads and spear tips a bit of a really rare item here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg46229.html#msg46229

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 10:07:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ron_o
Hi,

Cheep toilet cleaners / limescale removers contain Hydrochloric Acid  and surfactants , and will therefore etch the copper pcb.

Sodium hypochlorite/ate is bleach.

The etching properties of Ferric Chloride can be improved by tne addition of Hydochloric Acid
but the risk of damage to thin tracks also increases ( "eating" from the edges and going under the etch resist )

Hope this helps

Regards

Ron

Sodium hypochlorate IS bleach, exactly what I said, however, the only difference, for purposes of etching, between sodium hypochlorate and hydrogen chloride is one sodium atom: HCl:OH or H2Cl is aqueous muriatic acid; NaHCl + H2O is bleach, far milder. The video called for two cups of bleach and one cup of acid, and that is extremely more caustic than ferric chloride. Probably just as good with 3 cups of bleach and no acid.

The lacquer thinner is plain old methanol.... wood alcohol. Incidentally, the rough scrubbing of the copper is not necessary, just wipe with rubbing alcohol and let it evaporate, this will remove any oils, which is the purpose of this exercise.

You can burn up your boards, if  you like but there are easier ways of getting the resist on that board.... a little finger oil probably would not matter, after that iron!

I prefer photo work.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg46310.html#msg46310

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 11:06:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ferric Chloride is just about the weakest solution that will etch copper traces. It's used for good reason. Etching too fast with other "cheaper" solutions may undercut the smaller traces and cause open circuits where you don't want them. When you wash Ferric Chloride off, it doesn't need a neutralizer. Some other solutions do. If you use only water and leave trace amounts of dried chemical on the board, any humidity in the air can activate it and cause it to etch again inside of your working project. A slow etch makes the best boards. Even heating the solution can cause problems so it's most often used at room temperature. Gentle rocking is all right and some people use an aerator to keep the solution moving.

No matter how much it costs, Ferric Chloride isn't that expensive. If you don't like the price, make your own Ferric Chloride using scrap iron. It's not that hard and it's time tested to do the job.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg46317.html#msg46317

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline kevinr
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 01:48:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by vpr2064
absolutely,
I use a laserjet printer on photo gloss paper, an inkjet wont work. reason is laserjet toner is actually made from plastic and melted onto the paper with a heat roller or actual laser. to put the image on a copper board is just a reverse process. i usually darken the copy to get more toner on the paper. if the copy looks bad so will the board. prep board with scotch brite then clean with acetone or finger nail polish remover. dont use steelwool.

1. double check that you have the correct orientation of the print.
2. using a standard iron on high and no water i pre heat the board (you don’t have to pre heat).
3. place the copy face down on the copper board, be careful not to move it or it will smudge the image.
4. do not twist the iron or slide it. try to get as much of the iron on the image as possible and apply some pressure, lift it and get the rest. i do this for about a minute until i feel it is melted.
5. place the board in a bucket of water for about 5 minutes or until the paper is completely soaked then remove and peel the paper away.

The melted toner is pretty tough but can be scratched off by using to much scrubbing to get the paper off. i use my finger and rub what’s left over. check the board circuit after removing the paper to see how everything looks, if its bad use acetone remove the toner and do it again or doctor some minor areas with a sharpie or circuit pen. then i etch using the above method. drill the holes clean with acetone and iron another image of the parts on the component side.

VPR

Will any photo glossy paper work or does it have to be a specific kind. I was about to buy some transfers and then read your article here. It sure would be nice to be able to get all supplies locally.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58496.html#msg58496

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kevinr
Will any photo glossy paper work or does it have to be a specific kind. I was about to buy some transfers and then read your article here. It sure would be nice to be able to get all supplies locally.

Transfer papers sometimes overlay the entire image with wax - even the clear spaces. Not good. Use either erasable bond typing paper (sometimes called Corrasable) or translucent tracing velum in your laser printer. After you iron on the image, let it cool then soak the board in warm water and soap to soften the paper. When it softens, lift it up and using only your finger, wipe off all fibers left behind near the traces. Pat it dry, don't wipe it, and etch. The resist areas will wash off with hot water or you can use nail polish remover.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58509.html#msg58509

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 03:28:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kevinr

According to the authors, it has to be LASER PHOTO PAPER, nothing else will work.

I am going to play with "gum prints," later this winter, and see if the gum is chloride proof, which I suspect it is, as it is the basis of commercial, masked, photo-sensitive, pc boards. Gum prints use ammonium or  potassium disulphide (poisonous carcinogens!) to harden Gum Acacia (Gum Arabic,) where the light has not hit the gum emulsion. So it makes a resist. The resist can wash off with hot water, after etching.

Of course, I will develope a "lazy man's" method to do this, mainly because I can not keep track of complex things.

I started looking for directions on how to make a colloidal emulsion, for glass plates, as the same can be done on copper and the emulsion can be hardened with methanol, after developing the "print," which hardens it (the term is "tans" as in leather,) so it will stand up to the etchant.

I used to have the directions but I guess the internet got here too late to preserve the data.  Shocked

I just have to get a round "tooit."

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58591.html#msg58591

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: