[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 02:33:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brian, did you read my post? I've made several dozens of boards over the past 15 years using laser printers. You need to leave as much of the toner as you can on the board. Using photo paper will transfer less than 10%. My method transfers 100%. You can't always believe an Internet author. Sometimes they've never even tried their own method.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58662.html#msg58662

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 01:45:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Brian, did you read my post? I've made several dozens of boards over the past 15 years using laser printers. You need to leave as much of the toner as you can on the board. Using photo paper will transfer less than 10%. My method transfers 100%. You can't always believe an Internet author. Sometimes they've never even tried their own method.

I did read your post and the topic was about using laser photo paper and hydrochloric acid, not bond!:

"Posted by vpr2064         
absolutely, I use a laserjet printer on photo gloss paper, an inkjet wont work."

I cut and pasted the post so you can see it.

Did you actually read MY post? Doubts it, Ralf!  Grin Grin Grin

If bond works, great, because all I can get here, is inkjet photo paper and that should never be used in a laser printer.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58766.html#msg58766

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:48:28 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 04:43:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
I did read your post and the topic was about using laser photo paper and hydrochloric acid, not bond!:

"Posted by vpr2064         
absolutely, I use a laserjet printer on photo gloss paper, an inkjet wont work."

I cut and pasted the post so you can see it.

Did you actually read MY post? Doubts it, Ralf!  Grin Grin Grin

If bond works, great, because all I can get here, is inkjet photo paper and that should never be used in a laser printer.

goldigger

No, that wasn't the TOPIC, that was the question and the answer is no.

I didn't say to use bond but corrasable bond. Different stuff. Or tracing vellum. Either will work but need to be soaked off. Photo paper does not transfer well at all. Some doesn't transfer anything.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58791.html#msg58791

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 11:24:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No, that wasn't the TOPIC, that was the question and the answer is no.

I didn't say to use bond but corrasable bond. Different stuff. Or tracing vellum. Either will work but need to be soaked off. Photo paper does not transfer well at all. Some doesn't transfer anything.

Sorry. Such exotic paper is not on any market in Canada and you should go back to the beginning and look at the video, because I am right about the topic, THIS time. The video stressed laser photo paper!

I do not understand why you have to be so picky and bitchy, just like my older cousin! I learned to ignore his irritability, I can ignore yours, just as well. Without pushing the ignore button, too.

Hey, it is summer there, you can get out (at last!)  Go take a walk with your favourite locator and stop bad-mouthing. It is totally unbecoming of a person our age!  Shocked Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58932.html#msg58932

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 01:47:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
Sorry. Such exotic paper is not on any market in Canada and you should go back to the beginning and look at the video, because I am right about the topic, THIS time. The video stressed laser photo paper!

I do not understand why you have to be so picky and bitchy, just like my older cousin! I learned to ignore his irritability, I can ignore yours, just as well. Without pushing the ignore button, too.

Hey, it is summer there, you can get out (at last!)  Go take a walk with your favourite locator and stop bad-mouthing. It is totally unbecoming of a person our age!  Shocked Shocked

goldigger

Because, Goldigger, I wrote the original article on using reverse image laser printing more than 20 years ago in Popular Electronics Magazine and personally tested over 200 types of paper. Also, the TOPIC of this particular discussion is "cheep etching solution" so be mindful of chastising me on that. Fair enough?

That's why I am contradicting what they suggest. One thing you do know, I am sure, is that some laser photo paper sublimates the toner. In point of fact, all do to some degree. For those following this who don't know what sublimation is, that means the wax and toner coating on the laser printed paper soak into the paper itself because of the heat fusion inside the laser printer. Toner in a laser printer is a combination of black carbon and wax. Each manufacturer uses different sized particles and different waxes but all fuse at a very high temperature. I tested all of the papers for their ability to resist sublimation and allow the toner and wax to lay on the surface as much as possible without bonding to the layers below. I even tried things like Pam Cooking Spray and WD-40 to keep it from sticking. The end result was the two paper types I am suggesting here yet again.

Corrasable Bond has another name. Erasable typing paper. It can still be found in stationery stores. Tracing Vellum also works good. Tracing Vellum is a very thin, coated paper for tracing - as the name suggests. It's not made for laser printers but is for drafting work. Ordinary tracing paper may work but when I found the two types I recommended in the article, I stopped searching.

Use whatever paper you want, mate. Just try what I suggest before you slam the suggestion down. I've had this experience before with others here regarding the Ace250 and a hidden feature I discovered. Three members tried and proved what I suggested and yet the real world empirical evidence of it working as I stated is ignored by several hotheads. Don't join their ranks. You like experimentation, my friend. Give it a try and see what I mean. Seriously. No harm done by trying. You'll be pleased with the results.

After I wrote the article, I discovered that soaking the paper was good but adding just a few drops of Dawn dish washing soap made it come off easier and left the toner more clear. Those pesky paper fibers were almost all gone with that addition. Don't use warm water either. Just cold from the tap. The addition of Dawn detergent is not in the article and no errata was submitted since it wasn't a mistake.

As to our age, we are entitled by now to be a bit stubborn. Call it experience. I went out hunting today. Found 2 old pennies and $4.85 in modern coinage in an hour while the dog sniffed at every bush in the area. No jewelry today. My normal quota of trash appeared.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg58972.html#msg58972

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:59:23 am by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 03:41:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Because, Goldigger, I wrote the original article on using reverse image laser printing more than 20 years ago in Popular Electronics Magazine and personally tested over 200 types of paper. Also, the TOPIC of this particular discussion is "cheep etching solution" so be mindful of chastising me on that. Fair enough?

That's why I am contradicting what they suggest. One thing you do know, I am sure, is that some laser photo paper sublimates the toner. In point of fact, all do to some degree. For those following this who don't know what sublimation is, that means the wax and toner coating on the laser printed paper soak into the paper itself because of the heat fusion inside the laser printer. Toner in a laser printer is a combination of black carbon and wax. Each manufacturer uses different sized particles and different waxes but all fuse at a very high temperature. I tested all of the papers for their ability to resist sublimation and allow the toner and wax to lay on the surface as much as possible without bonding to the layers below. I even tried things like Pam Cooking Spray and WD-40 to keep it from sticking. The end result was the two paper types I am suggesting here yet again.

Use whatever paper you want, mate. Just try what I suggest before you slam the suggestion down. I've had this experience before with others here regarding the Ace250 and a hidden feature I discovered. Three members tried and proved what I suggested and yet the real world empirical evidence of it working as I stated is ignored by several hotheads. Don't join their ranks. You like experimentation, my friend. Give it a try and see what I mean. Seriously. No harm done by trying. You'll be pleased with the results.

Sublimation, to me is exemplified by CO2. It goes from a solid to a gas without a liquid phase and that is sublimation. I do not see how it can be applied to the copier photo process.

I was NOT knocking the method, that was you jumping to conclusions, again. I just said I want to try the gum process, similar to commercial photo sensitized pc boards. I do not intend to try the laser process, because I detest hot irons.... soldering irons are bad enough.

I do not have the chemicals, yet and have not tried it, so I will not brag it up.... except, it does not use hot irons.

I will bite, against my better judgement; what is an Ace250? And should I care?

We can not get the same version of Dawn, here... It used to be Joy and when the name changed to Dawn, the formulation changed. It is also good in watercolours and acrylic paints, to prevent freezing, when doing watercolours outside, in the cold.... not that you needed to know that, I doubt if it freezes anywhere in Australia, except for the Snowy Mtns. How are you at watercolours?

I do not care which formulation Dawn/Joy is, it sure works good in panning, but I prefer Sunlight liquid soap (lemon.) Sunlight smells better, and it is still basically Ethyl Lauryl Sulphate.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg59251.html#msg59251

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 02:08:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dye sublimation is a heat setting of the dye deeply into a substrate.

Please Register or Login

http://www.sublitech.com.au/products.html

In laser printing to photo paper, the paper is designed to allow the toner to sublimate deep into the paper when heat is applied. It makes the photos more scratch resistant and heat resistant. At the same time, it makes it so the toner won't transfer back onto the copper clad board very easily. That is why I recommend the paper that I do instead of the photo paper. The toner tends to stay on the surface which is the desired result.

The Ace250??

Please Register or Login

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_ace_250_key.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg59323.html#msg59323

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A parallel to the copper in the etching solution is the silver in photographic film.  I worked for a small newspaper and shot lith film (about 16 X 28 inches) and machine processed it.  The overflow of the fix tank went to a silver recovery unit that thru electrolysis deposited the silver on a rotating stainless cylinder. Once a year I would scrape the cylinder and every couple of years the publisher would sell it.

BTW ferric chloride will etch stainless, I put my initials on a stainless pocket knife blade, it doesn't go deep but it will change the surface texture.

Dennis
Golddigger1950,

Gramps43 here on the slowly warming Oregon Coast.  Would I be safe in saying that the only difference in your procedure and Golddiggers is the paper which makes a lot of sense once you explained it.  I just recently got a laser printer and tried some transparency sheets but it didn't lay down an opaque image.  This sounds like the solution to my problem.

Cool'o,

Gramps43

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg94056.html#msg94056

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 03:53:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gramps, if you use onionskin, tracing paper or tracing vellum the toner is left behind at 100% because you soak the paper off. When you look at the result, you'll see the toner on the board and bits of paper fiber on top. Don't worry too much about that because the etching solution will go right through those tiny fibers but not through the toner.

Some older laser printers had knobs for adjusting the toner. Modern ones use the control software to do that. Some don't allow the option but almost all laser printers have control commands that you can enter manually to increase the thickness of the toner.

One laser printer I had actually allowed me to slide in a PC board from the rear. It was designed to print on cardstock for booklet covers and it accepted thin PC boards. Made work really easy that way. There are some plotters out there that will accept pens that contain resist type ink, as well. The tips on those can be blunted over time but the results are fast and beautiful.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg94730.html#msg94730

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 06:31:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD,

Many thanks for the come back, I'll have to get my buns down to our one and only stationary store and see what I can come up with.

Talking about running a thin board thru a laser I read an article about a month ago about modifying an Epson Stylus C84 inkjet printer for direct printing on pc boards using imaging ink.  There weren't any pictures of the finished product but sounded cool but I think your method is better in that I don't have to take anything apart.

I was just wondering how one of those small irons they use for leather & vinyl repair would work insteat of cranking up the mama sans clothes beast.

Y'all have a good'un,
Dennis aka Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6716.msg94788.html#msg94788

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: