[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings, I am a Marine Electronics Technician looking for an experienced review on the differences between the field shapes and depth performances of different sized coils.

I currently use a Pioneer 505 with the 4in and 8in coils. 

I must say that if anyone is wondering about the Bounty Hunter 4 inch "prospector" coil, it has surpassed every one of my expectations.  I will say that it is much deeper than I would have thought.  Also, I found a silver quarter just outside my office door where I had passed my 8 in coil a hundred times.  The 4 in coil sniffed it out without a hitch once I got it over the coin.  It does, of coarse, take three passes by the prospector coil to cover the same ground as the 8 inch coil.

Back to the point...

I will be doing some research on this and plan to buy the 10" Bounty Hunter Coil tomorrow but I sure would like to hear the thoughts of a technical minded hunter out there who has seen this and done that for a long time.  Is it's depth directly related to the outside coil or the inside coil?  How does power effect the depth of the fields?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have on this topic.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152451.html#msg152451

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well with the coil sizes ie 9 1/2" a 12" will give you up to 30% increase in depth but the trade off is the bigger coil
see's more ground so therefore it see's up to 30% more mineralization pr you may have to turn down the power a bit
so therefore you may even loose depth in extreme groud, If you set you detector up at a 1/4 power and take a target
you can map the shape of the coils field with a ruler and plot it on paper and if you do this at differant gain settings
you can see how much depth you loose when you turn it down, because you don't loose that much really, and you will
be less likely to over power the ground and blinding your discrimination so targets will be more accuritly ID
I have also put this on your other post because they are related.

Posted on: March 10, 2011, 01:17:13 PM
With DD coils the field runs from front to back as one sid sends and the other recieves the signal and they put a blade into the ground
If you were to stand a book on the front edge then that would be how a DD puts it's signal in to the ground and if you were
to put a dinner plate on the back of the book with the book running from one edge to the other going across the middle of the plate
then that would be how the pattern would look and that is where the DDs hot spot is.

As for concentric coils these have a field alot like a mixing bowl that comes to a semi point and the coil has an outer coil
that sends the signal and an inner coil that recieves the return signal, The concentric will always go deeper on a size for size
bases ie you would need a 12" DD to equal that of which a 9 1/2" Concentric coil can achieve, but the DD is better on target
seperation and it handles mineralization better, alot of detector companies fit only DD coils to their machines but i feel it is
because the can't make their machines quiet enough to use a concentric coil so quite often you will find cheaper detectors
will acctually go deeper than those costing more than twice as much, and another point to remember is that a concentric coil
hits targets harder. and also concentric coils you can use in a wide veritiy of grounds but the DD can be used any where,
some companies do not offer a concentric as an option and i believe that this is because of what i stated earlier and i don't
trust them for not telling use how it really is, i how this is of use.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152477.html#msg152477

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Perhaps that says something good about the Bounty Hunter units?  I have only seen the round coils from them. 

I am curious about target pin pointing though.  The round coils that I have can pin point very well while in motion mode.  This helps me to get a feel of the target's ID and trash probabilities.  This also allows me to see the size of a target.  I am sure that you understand my reasons for this.

My question revolves around pin pointing.  I pin point by looking at the trailing edge of the inner coil that I have.  After hitting the target from all four directions I can get a feel of how strong and tight the target is and if it is a coin or ring can be determined to some degree this way.

By your explanation, I assume that I would use the trailing edge of the DD's right hand coil?  THis seems to be a more difficult co0il to pin point with in motion since this right hand coil is so big.  Maybe I am misunderstanding you?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152487.html#msg152487

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:58:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No your not misunderstanding me with your concentric coil you can pinpoint by sweeping the coil left and right and pushing it forward
and backward without having to turn 90 deg and sweeping again with a DD you can pinpoint just as fast when you get use to it
i started of using DDs then i got machines with concentrics so i also bought DDs for my machines but you do loes depth on
the DD compared to the concentric, one coil i use no matter what is the big 12" concentric even in trashy sites although some
say you can't, well i say you can because i have found more in 2 1/2 weeks than everone else has in two years in this certain
field and as for sensitivity that big 12" is way more sensitive than all previous DDs that i have used, but i have all sorts of coils
for my machines, so there are coil for all situations and i do use them

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152493.html#msg152493

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:20:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by auminesweeper
No your not misunderstanding me with your concentric coil you can pinpoint by sweeping the coil left and right and pushing it forward
and backward without having to turn 90 deg and sweeping again with a DD you can pinpoint just as fast when you get use to it
i started of using DDs then i got machines with concentrics so i also bought DDs for my machines but you do loes depth on
the DD compared to the concentric, one coil i use no matter what is the big 12" concentric even in trashy sites although some
say you can't, well i say you can because i have found more in 2 1/2 weeks than everone else has in two years in this certain
field and as for sensitivity that big 12" is way more sensitive than all previous DDs that i have used, but i have all sorts of coils
for my machines, so there are coil for all situations and i do use them

I have an MPX that I acquired as a package deal with my 505.  It came with a 10 in and an 8 inch round coil.  Although it will not separate targets as well, I certainly must agree with your assessment.

The only coil that truly impressed me with it's ability to separate trash and multiple targets is Bounty Hunter's 4 inch coil.  That coil is a must for anyone who is hunting in a cluttered area.  Maybe people who are more concerned with depth in old war areas like open fields or woods can say that the bigger coils are a must but that little coil does not lose nearly enough depth to deter me from using it when the targets are hard to separate.

The only downer is that it is harder to cover ground.  It seems to take three sweeps to cover one of the 8 inch coils sweeps.  I have found coins with that little coil that I had passed up dozens of times with my 8 inch in my own yard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152501.html#msg152501

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will tell you a secrete, On the river Thames that runs through London there is so much junk there, the most sucessful hunters
are using Bounty Hunters because of their very fast recovery speed, you can find differant shape coils for Bounty Hunters but you
have the best of both worlds with the machines/ciols that have

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152507.html#msg152507

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 05:52:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
The only coil that truly impressed me with it's ability to separate trash and multiple targets is Bounty Hunter's 4 inch coil.  That coil is a must for anyone who is hunting in a cluttered area.

Often overlooked tip---most detectorists would do themselves a major favor if the first NON-Standard coil they purchased for their machine, regardless of make, was a 4"'er  rather than going for a bigger "deeper digger" coil first.   Most detectorists I know that have at least 3 coils use the "sniper" more than they use their largest coil.   But since you already have the sniper and KNOW it's benefits going to a larger coil is a natural and logical way to increase your machine's capabilities.  

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152524.html#msg152524

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:36:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tanx for the heads up AU.  I've got a little secret for you as well.

I took the wife to that cemetary a little while ago and the first two targets that I found were a musket ball and a 1905 "V" whatever that is.  I will post the pics later after I know what it is.

It sure doesn't look silver so I guess that I will be looking that up after this post.  I am eating some gumbo down here and feelin' good about this new spot bro.  Of coarse, the next thirty targets that I dug up afterwards were trash. :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152549.html#msg152549

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I thought this was common knowledge.

Coil Size works like this:

Larger coils go deeper but loose the ability to find smaller items.

Smaller coils Don't go as deep but Find Smaller Items.  And you can pick between targets better.

Rule of Thumb.

A coil of any type can see about as deep as they are Wide.   DD type a little less but have ground Bal advantages.

Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152554.html#msg152554

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
I thought this was common knowledge.

Coil Size works like this:

Larger coils go deeper but loose the ability to find smaller items.

Smaller coils Don't go as deep but Find Smaller Items.  And you can pick between targets better.

Rule of Thumb.

A coil of any type can see about as deep as they are Wide.   DD type a little less but have ground Bal advantages.

Shocked

My biggest reason for this thread was to figure out if getting the Bounty Hunter 10 inch coil would really give me noticeable deeper depth or is it more important to have more power to increase depth.  I guess I did not say it like that but that is what is on my mind. 

I will buy the 10 inch coil tommorrow and hope that it wil give me those extra couple of inches that I have been needing lately.  The town that I work in is pretty old relative to the surrounding cities but it is in a low lying area that has been filled in over time.  The older coins are certainly much deeper than if the land would have been higher back in the old days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21969.msg152563.html#msg152563

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: