[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline billderTopic starter
Bronze Member

St. Julians
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

924.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Firefox 84.0
Firefox 84.0

WWW Awards

whites prizm iii, whites coinmaster 6000, whites surfmaster ii
« on: February 14, 2021, 06:30:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't know if these were TR, VLF, BFO or what.....with the nail rejection I would say TR, but seem too strong for that, stable..... it is all metal though, with a nice feel through the handle, and round-sound wahwahs...     =
    Some time ago I came across 2 fairly old Compass metal detectors, one was a Yukon 99-1b and the other a 94b.  The 99-1b appeared to be the most intact, except there was a layered resistor/potentiometer which had become toast because both of these machines had been outside for awhile, some months.  Fortunately that was in the desert sw and not Florida. 
     I tried to rebuild the potentiometer, had three hours in the project, no luck, and then during desolder I killed the small auxiliary circuit board that the potentiometer was attached to.  The batteries on that machine were weird, either three packs of 4 AA, or two packs of 4 AA and a 9 volt. 
     I tried various configurations and found some info online which helped a lot, thanks, but I could not get past the damaged parts.  This detector did come in handy with the other detector, who had somehow along the line lost all its battery leads.  It was a lot of hit and miss but I was able to use the wiring config of the 99-1b to figure out the configuration of the 94b, and even though I fried one resistor which I have yet to replace the thing fires up and is strong, it gets  quarter easy at ten inches in the air.  It has  double d wide scan coil.  I have never used  Compass before but plan on putting this to use as  backup or dedicate it to the truck.  The 94B had one 4 pack of AA and one 9 volt, and though it looks like there was room for a 6pack of AA, the four pack works real well.  Then there is a little receptacle obviously for a 9volt which  9 volt fits in perfectly.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,72594.msg332760.html#msg332760

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSC07901.jpg
DSC07902.jpg
DSC07904.jpg

IS IT SAFE YET ??

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
7%
Male
Australia

6075.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 78.0
Firefox 78.0

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 03:42:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

this may help.
use it as references

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,72594.msg332767.html#msg332767

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

D - compass 94b.pdf

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Bronze Member

St. Julians
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

924.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Firefox 84.0
Firefox 84.0

WWW Awards

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:11:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you, and I found a treasure trove of old compass information at treasurelinx.com, they are just fun to read too, they have a lot of stuff.  After reading I see they are TR, very strong, very in line with my idea of circuitry and power.  Have been looking into making circuit boards for high power stuff, the compass circuit boards are very nice....thank you again.....b

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,72594.msg332770.html#msg332770

IS IT SAFE YET ??

Bronze Member

St. Julians
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

924.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Firefox 84.0
Firefox 84.0

WWW Awards

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:24:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

leather cover with velcro fastening, glued on bottom spacers and coil bumper ring.  the coil protections work well, though i was afraid of heavy solvent based glue so tried elmers on this and i will see.  before i have just epoxied on bands of fibreglass like they pull the fibreoptic cable through with, or other scrap fibreglass belting, leave some hanging out the edges, it was definitely more of an issue working underwater in the cobble, but still i have cracked many coils by accident and this keeps it from happening, especially on old brittle plastic....more and more i am seeing that quality of metal detectors was in the circuit board, otherwise they eventually blister and peel, and even some of the best, when exposed to salt water vapors...but heavy circuit boards mean higher power too, another good thing, compass seems worth repairing because circuit board heavy and still in good shape.....b

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,72594.msg332785.html#msg332785

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

DSC07957.jpg
DSC07961.jpg
DSC07962.jpg

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:28:13 pm by billder »

IS IT SAFE YET ??

Print