[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline walking-dudeTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites coinmaster 6000 & Fisher F5
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:52:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi:

This summer, I purchased a Fisher F5.  I read a few reviews on the machine and it seemed to be a good unit.  I have enjoyed the machine, I found it took a little while to learn how to hunt with it and especially how to tune it.  The problem is, my previous detector was a White's Coin Master 6000.  I used that detector for a number of years and found a lot of good stuff with it.

I have only used the Fisher a few months, but I have yet to find a silver coin.  I worry a little that it lacks sensitivity and depth.  Perhaps, I am worring for nothing, I was wondering if silver is a lot harder to find than it used to be.  I have not done much metal detecting for a number of years.  Anyway, I like the F5 interface and design, but have a little germ of doubt about its depth capabilities.

Does anyone else use an F5?  What kind of luck to you have with this brand and does it have good depth.?  Does anyone have any tips for getting better depth from the F5?

Bill Jensen

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19731.msg129725.html#msg129725

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:46:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your depth is determined by your skill more than the machine's capability. Use it more. Use it slower. Use it with less discrimination.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19731.msg129882.html#msg129882

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bobby bridge
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

235.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F 5
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:03:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I got my F 5 in the spring and for a new b like me it has a slight learning curve but it became easer the more I read up on it on all the fourms and web sites. Learning how to set up the Threshold and Gain together are key, along with your ground bal. Depest coin I found was a nickle at around 8".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19731.msg132534.html#msg132534

Be safe out there folks.

Offline doc alex
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Lebanon

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:10:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

just digg few holes with different depth and put a test metal inside and try to localise them.i think it is the best way to get familiar with your new detector

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19731.msg132536.html#msg132536

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher x 1265 * Garrett ace 250  * Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:21:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I use a fisher f5 and the depth is very good, at the beach i have found quarters at 10" mostly in the all metal mode, as said the best is to do sampling of buried coins and rings at different depth and change the gain and threshold and see what is the best for your area. The nice thing about the f5 is in the AM mode you still get the vid read out. The setting i use for the coast is gain 60-80 threshold on -3, when possible turn the threshold to the positive position but most of the time you will get feedback so to quiet it down go negative a few numbers.On the discrimination 8 or 10 but no higher because it will discriminate out the gold.

I have a gold band tied to a string about two foot long with a silver ring on the other end. Every time i hunt no matter on the beach or in a park i bury one end and then the other and get readings at different depths, this will help you to know what your responses are in the grounds that you are hunting.

In the parks the setting is about the same the main thing to look for is that the ground balance is always in line with the phase reading.

I have four detectors and like they say the more you test and use them the better you get, looking back on each new detector i ever bought i first thought that it wasn't working right or it didn't go deep enough but with practice i began to love each one.

Good luck you will get.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19731.msg146886.html#msg146886

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:41:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi  WD,   Well in the UK they did a field test on your machine so look up Treasure Hunting mag and if you cant get it then give me a call, and i will see what i can do

j

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19731.msg146900.html#msg146900

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: