[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline climpo2Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:49:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

hi everyone , new member just joined today after going to a prospecting club in my home town, which is Mandurah, WA (Australia). Plenty of gold must be out there in such a big state, but i would much prefer to build a detector of my own than just blindly pay 6000 dollars for the top of the range detector which may not turn out to be as wonderful as the  makers claim. So any plans help info etc appreciated. Good luck to you all.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67285.html#msg67285

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:21:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

climpo Welcome from Galveston Island.

There are a lot of info about building detectors here look around and find what interest you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67309.html#msg67309

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:49:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from southern New Mexico.

If you have the Know How , building a detector is more then doable!

PI detectors are relatively simple .

There are several that could find the gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67342.html#msg67342

Offline RUSWAT
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I WENT THAT ROUTE AND FOUND OUT THAT IT IS EASY TO BUILD A DETECTOR BUT YOU WON'T BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU BUILD UNLESS YOU HAVE ACCESS TO STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY AND A FAIR BACKGROUND ELECTRONICS. PULSE TECHNOLOGY IS THE WAY TO GO. ALSO BEWARE OF FREE INTERNET CIRCUITS. YOU CAN WASTE A LOT OF TIME THERE.  THE BEST YOU CAN DO IS BUILD YOURSELF A PROBE WHICH WILL BE ALMOST AS GOOD. RUSWAT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67362.html#msg67362

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:47:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all and thanks for the help. My interests are about doing things for myself and not relying on `experts' to sort out anything i do not instantly know the answer to. I have a background in research and development and ended my working career teching design and technology at high school. Some of that work was teaching electronics so i feel i have the ability to at least construct something that works (but maybe only to a very basic standard). Anyway it could become an interest within an interest! Over here in Western Australia the distances to where one is able to do a bit of prospecting are great, and also because of seasonal temperatures there are only certain times of the year when prospecting can be undertaken with any degree of comfort. So there will be plenty of time for developing any sub standard first attempts!
All the best to you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67510.html#msg67510

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:52:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by climpo2
Hi all and thanks for the help. My interests are about doing things for myself and not relying on `experts' to sort out anything i do not instantly know the answer to. I have a background in research and development and ended my working career teching design and technology at high school. Some of that work was teaching electronics so i feel i have the ability to at least construct something that works (but maybe only to a very basic standard). Anyway it could become an interest within an interest! Over here in Western Australia the distances to where one is able to do a bit of prospecting are great, and also because of seasonal temperatures there are only certain times of the year when prospecting can be undertaken with any degree of comfort. So there will be plenty of time for developing any sub standard first attempts!
All the best to you.

Welcome from Perth. I don't get down your way often. Do you get to Perth now and again?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67513.html#msg67513

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:20:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi GD, yes get up to Perth a fair bit, especially now i can ride free on the train! What suburb are you in, I notice you have llisted a few home brew machines?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67520.html#msg67520

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 02:03:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi GD, yes get up to Perth a fair bit, especially now i can ride free on the train! What suburb are you in, I notice you have llisted a few home brew machines?

Yes, one of my former careers was as an electronics design engineer specializing in embedded control. I still do the odd consulting job in that field and since treasure hunting is my lifelong hobby, it's only natural that I'd design a few home brew machines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67579.html#msg67579

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:11:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD, guess with your sort of background you will be the idea  person to ask a few technical questions  when i get to a stage where i am actually assembling and playing around with circuits (and of course the coils of wire which go on the ends of the machine). At the moment am just doing some background reading on how these machines work (and the different types) and this alone may take me a week or two. Also have a motorcycle restoration project on the go and have a couple of `zappers' i need to make for friends ( an interesting little electronics project in itself, if you are into alternative health issues look it up), so this may slow me up!The most important question I have to ask of course is how did your home brews compare with the professional product and do you think that you would be able to emulate the performance of the professional ones? (or maybe you have already).Thanks for your interest.
ps. when i was a school teacher i made fairly quickly ( with a student, it was his project really) an electronic fishing bite alarm which compared very favourably with the expensive professional product.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67737.html#msg67737

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:59:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD, guess with your sort of background you will be the idea  person to ask a few technical questions  when i get to a stage where i am actually assembling and playing around with circuits (and of course the coils of wire which go on the ends of the machine). At the moment am just doing some background reading on how these machines work (and the different types) and this alone may take me a week or two. Also have a motorcycle restoration project on the go and have a couple of `zappers' i need to make for friends ( an interesting little electronics project in itself, if you are into alternative health issues look it up), so this may slow me up!The most important question I have to ask of course is how did your home brews compare with the professional product and do you think that you would be able to emulate the performance of the professional ones? (or maybe you have already).Thanks for your interest.
ps. when i was a school teacher i made fairly quickly ( with a student, it was his project really) an electronic fishing bite alarm which compared very favourably with the expensive professional product.

All of my home brew projects were build to test one feature or another or to test a single experimental function. There's only one home brew detector that I have built that is a full, functioning detector and it's disassembled on the work bench to see about tweaking it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10611.msg67765.html#msg67765

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: