[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline jhdTopic starter
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:23:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All, Im a Old Member with a new name. For the last few years I have been looking at trails and found what I believe to be some old mines. Since my pockets are empty I have decided to move on to other things. I have several topics I wish to talk about and having trouble searching the forum. I apologize if there is anything about Magnetometers as I was unable to find anything.

Digging or removing material is discourage on some of the public lands I am practicing with. Also I dont wish to jump anyone's claim. My first spot has no Tailings that I can find. But I have a rock sample that has small black material in it which I am to believe is silver or holds silver. I am told there is a silver mine where Im looking so far everything fits.

Since I dont know what Im doing and just having fun playing in the dirt. I decided to make some maps. I purchased a small Compass and noted how sensitive it was to metal several feet away. Im going to have fun walking some old spots to see if it leads me anywhere. I can tell you this will lead me to a magnetometer, or however its is spelled. Since I cant buy it at walmart I may have to make one. Any suggestions on how to use the forum, or comments are welcomed.

Im to understand I can look, just not dig so thats where Im at right now. I dont wish to loose my expensive toys so Im looking to use simpler tools and just see what I can find.

I look forward to post some of my successes and failures and wish to start a thread dedicated to just that. Im also going to use a detector and a pan when I can. I have asked for help locally and once I give out a few locations everyone bolts on me and quits returning calls. I know there is mineral here, Im just getting some practice so I know what Im supposed to see.

Its usually never why, but what you are looking for. If you know me, I look for treasure, and I have decided to look for the Padre La Rue. I plan on taking that lil hand held compass looking for the large vein of gold at the base of the mountain. I believe the lost mine is not in the Organs. I have studied Faults lines and just love what I find at them. Im working some lava tubes right now and getting what I believe to be sunstones. I dont want sunstones. Hoping for some gold  that was pushed up.

I do wish to put a brief history about sunstones and the vikings using them. They could navigate the hidden sun with these crystals.

I will let it be known that I believe there is a simple math involved to the Spanish, Mayan, and other mines. I believe using the stars and sun was also used in the trail systems. It would make sense to me how they could see a point on the back side of a mountain. As Navigation got better, so did the trail systems. If you ever had to find a spot in the wilderness, after traveling for months on a boat, would make finding these mines a lot easier. Find the mine, you can start panning dirt and detecting a tailing pile.

This is gonna be fun.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225805.html#msg225805

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:27:44 am by Occassionally »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 02:32:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

There is lots of information here on magnetometers but the search function is not working properly. User Willy Bayot has a project ongoing for a towable proton magnetometer. This book in the downloads section has information on using a compass as a magnetometer:

Please Register or Login

www.thunting.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=136

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225812.html#msg225812

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jhdTopic starter
Bronze Member

Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:34:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GD, I knew I seen it here somewhere.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225814.html#msg225814

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 07:43:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Compass needles will sense metals in two ways. Remember, as you do this, that the flux lines in the earth's magnetic field are ELECTRO-magnetic, not just magnetic. Because of that composition, a compass needle will deflect away from magnetic north for non-ferrous metals like gold, copper, brass, and align more firmly for ferrous metals like iron and steel. By aligning more firmly I mean they will not react as much to tipping the compass rapidly.

Try that tipping business away from your car and near it and see what I mean. The damping effect of the compass needle inside the compass case will be more pronounced when near the car. Also, don't use a liquid damped compass for this. Get the largest compass you can hold in one hand that is an air or vacuum filled compass. You want the needle to wiggle a bit when you are holding it. Your own heartbeat causes the wiggle.

Have fun experimenting. And don't let anyone ever tell you that gold won't cause the compass needle to react. It does. Read that book I pointed you to. First, it's a fabulous collection of tales by a renowned pair of treasure hunters (now both deceased) and one of the best descriptions of using a compass to detect large masses of buried metal ever written. It's only half a chapter but excellent.

Posted on: June 16, 2012, 03:35:08 PM
Inside the earth's core is a molten mass of metal. Mostly iron and nickle which is being sloshed around in slow motion by the spinning of the earth. That sloshing is like a slow motion dough mixing machine which generates a lot of electron movements inside that molten mass. They align to conduct from north to south just like in a generator and create a magnetic and electrical field which becomes the driving force behind the technology of a compass. The shifting of the core over the life of the earth causes the north and south poles to shift and that is what causes the north and south magnetic poles to differ from the exact poles.

That electrical and magnetic combination reacts inside large masses of gold to cause a small buildup of a charge which creates a miniature set of flux lines. They are supremely tiny forces but they will deflect a compass needle away from the mass if you walk over it. Inside of iron, steel, nickle and other ferrous metals, the compass needed gets more rigidly aligned because the flux lines are anchored inside of the metal mass. Like I said, try it with a car and see what I mean. You can easily practice on a car since it has sufficient mass.

It's all down to physics.

Posted on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:34 PM
Note my current and past avatars. All compasses. I believe that the compass is the most important invention of mankind. We'd all be in Africa and Europe if not for that. Or we'd have walked across the land bridge between Asia and North America.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225823.html#msg225823

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jhdTopic starter
Bronze Member

Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:28:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I actually purchased a new compass and bought it for the reasons you mentioned. Without realizing it, this compass was sensing the metal rods holding down curbs outside. I did not know the gold repels the compass. Thats good information and thank you. I started reading and haven't stopped. Have not gotten to the compass part yet. I bought a special trenching shovel just for tomorrows exercise.

I too agree about navigation. I read anything about the meridians that the ancients set up or the history of the sextant, backstaff, and quadrant. I cheated a little by looking at the local fault lines and found a good set of lava tubes in the right area. Im hoping they brought up some gold with em too.

Im just plotting out areas to take a detector over later to look for any gold or silver large enough to find. My main target is far north of me and along the barren stretches towards Sante Fe. The local mountains provide ample mineral, just not practical. I would like to make my detector and new tools pay for themselves this year.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225862.html#msg225862

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 06:03:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Occassionally
I did not know the gold repels the compass.

Not exactly repelling going on there. Just a slight deflection from magnetic north. It takes a keen eye to see it and a keen mind to interpret it as a deflection. You have to watch it as you walk over it or near it. The gold (or other non ferrous metals) will build up a charge around itself from the electromagnetic flux lines in the earth. Mind you, it takes a lot of mass to do that, not just a nugget or two. Something as big as a car, for example. Read the book I sent you to. Look for the chapter where they arrive on an island and decide to look for a chest of gold and use a compass to find it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225890.html#msg225890

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jhdTopic starter
Bronze Member

Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:25:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Im on page 87. Very good work and solid thinking behind how they found it. How the recovered it is another story.

If there is any big heavy metal out there I hope to know today. I have always noticed deflections when I used a compass before. Never thought anything about it. Another use of the compass, is that gold is usually found (in NM) Sw to Ne if I remember right.  Its very easy to get turned around out there.

I wont be finding any iron chest today, but will get a feel for the compass. I have some caves I suspect would be a good place to hide something. The compass may prove very helpful in there. If Im able I will get some good pictures of actual holes that concern me. The caves will have to wait for another day.

Im just doing a survey so I can get a deep seeker out there. I may grab some dirt for inspection later. I know there was silver there at one time. Im hoping for a large object. The whole range was a great place for travelers of the west to use. Trail is about 5 miles long with a good half mile in either direction for variance. There is fault lines to the north, and lava tubes to the south. The mountain range has many folds which will make sampling the large areas a little easier. While dried up, many a springs still present themselves so plenty of place to look. Ill be lucky to work a square 1/4 mile today.

The terrain is some of the hardest I have ever walked. There is a old tree stump of a mesquite or juniper that appears to be very old. A hand held compass is a lot easier to cart around than a shovel, bucket, water, detector......

If I can make this work I and find anything I will be happy.

The Treasure tale of a large exposed vein at the base of a mountain while far fetched is still worth looking at.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225892.html#msg225892

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have always noticed deflections when I used a compass before. Never thought anything about it.

It's nearly becoming a lost art. Look at all the questions asked about larger coils, greater depth and all that nonsense which metal detectors really can't do when all they really need is a $5.00 compass and an analytical mind. On the down side, there aren't that many large masses of metal underground. People have a tendency to overestimate the amount of large treasure that's really out there. If you use research to get close to one and your noggin to figure out where you'd be likely to hide a large cache, you will get as close as you can and you still haven't had a need to turn on a detector.

Now, THAT, is treasure hunting summed up in one paragraph.

Good luck, mate. Hope you find it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225903.html#msg225903

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jhdTopic starter
Bronze Member

Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 05:37:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Went  and worked some crevices this morning. The compass would move 5 to 10 degrees at drops and bends in the dry creek. I was very happy with my purchase.  My low freq VLF detector was run over same areas, and never made a beep. I cant wait to work the dirt. Its not feasible to carry water and my pans havent came in the mail yet. There is no place in town that sells prospecting equipment. There is several small dry creeks that come from the folds of this small mountain range. I will work them all in the same manner to get some hours under my belt. I used a old dish drainer for a classifier. Few buckets and the right shovel Very simple and very productive. Covered a 1/4 mile in under 20 minutes. The use of the compass was a real confidence boost

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225912.html#msg225912

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The use of the compass was a real confidence boost

It's kind of fun, isn't it?

For those who doubt other forms of long range detection (as I do), try this compass detection method after reading the downloadable book. The old timers really knew what they were talking about. The best part of it is, the cost is very low to try it and if you don't get a result, just chuck your compass in with the rest of your detecting gear for another try on another day.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36783.msg225999.html#msg225999

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: