[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Lord DraconTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:42:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My detector has no problems detecting iron and alu pull tabs.. but when it comes to silver, gold, lead and coins.. it seems to be overlooking them .. i'm getting confused   Huh?  .. gonna try to do some air tests with it, to see what it likes and what it doesn't .. (this might explain why i'm never finding any good stuff when i get to the beach and other sites) ..

I started to wonder whether it was me     No no! No no!

I did an air test the other day and it detected a coin ok (ish) 3-4" .. but as soon as i put the coins on the ground guess what, they vanished as far as the detector goes  Cry

Do you have any ideas as to what might be going on? possibly the ground balance? or some setting i've not set correctly?

I have adjusted the sensitivity, ground balance and discrimination settings but still no difference .. also i just realized that the machine tends to "wander" allot and I have to hit the reset frequently (i.e. the needle tends to head up slowly and the pitch changes with it).. i'll pop out and get some new batteries (the ones in it are fairly new as it is) .. I don't know if that will help but its worth a try   Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37250.msg229071.html#msg229071

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:38:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Did you ever find a manual for your detector?

I found a manual (admittedly not the greatest) at a Chinese site and downloaded the zip file.   

Here is the English portion that deals with ground adjustment

To adjust the GROUND:
1. Set MODE SELECTOR (6) to VLF position and lower the search coil to 1/2 to 2 inches above the ground.
2. If the pointer swings to the right, turn GROUND CONTROL (7) to the left, if the pointer swings to the left, turn GROUND CONTROL to the right.
3. Raise the search coil to the height of your knee and press the RED BUTTON on the handle. The pointer returns to the center (10).
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 until the pointer stays close to the center each time you lower the search coil to the ground.
After you set GROUND CONTROL, the detector is set for the soil type at that particular site. Do not reset it until you use the detector at a different site.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37250.msg229088.html#msg229088

Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:45:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

ya i've always had the manual .. i've had the machine from new  Smiley Smiley

yes i follow the instructions everytime  Undecided .. but after about 5 mins it starts to 'wander' and thats where it gets confusing .. the strange thing is the areas i search should not change much as i only search about a 20m sq area at any one given time, and once it starts wandering its hard to get it to stay put and have to keep hitting the auto-tune button (reset)

i have also found depth perception not to be as good as shown on the manual after a few minutes (i suppose that is what you get for a machine that cost around 40 GBP)

but like i said the most confusing thing is some metals seem to not register when on/in the ground. I tried a gold ring the other day Detecting and that too was not picked up when on the ground, yet the air test proved positive. Undecided Undecided ..

another thing i have also noticed as per the instructions you need to search using setting TR1, but this does not seem to work very well, No no! and i have started searching in the VLF setting (which works better and is more stable), but again still misses allot Sad .... going to get some new (top quality) batteries today Great.. i hope that irons out a few of the problems and should also help increase some depth.

it may be the ground i'm testing it on (my back yard) possibly has a very high mineralization, as when i was digging recently i came across what would be best described as slag from an iron furnace or the like, and large amounts of carbon deposits (possibly old roman smelting site or shipped in with the soil when the houses were built in 1914 - but very strange to find this sort of stuff in the ground here where i live as nearby is salt works, not iron works, and it all seems to be on one layer about 18"-2' down, under which is natural sand layer - i found this out when digging myself a nice new pond just a couple of weeks ago...  Idea I've only just put 2 and 2 together  Wink )

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37250.msg229189.html#msg229189

Happy Hunting Detecting

Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:33:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Put the new batteries in .. woot ..  instantly some of the problems have disappeared .. must have got dome dodgy batteries previously  Sad

well its stopped wandering .. thats a start.. detection range has improved greatly was 2"-3", now 6"-8" on a s/s ring, and now detects a 1Euro Cent piece at 3" .. getting there! .. got try it outside .. much better seems like it was some poor quality batteries all along  Grin Grin Grin .. hmmm still having a little trouble with the ground outside, but at least detection is much better  Smiley

Hmmm.. here's an interesting one for you all  Huh? ... i've got a stainless steel ring which i was testing it on ... but it comes up as non-ferrous  Huh? Huh?  do other VLF detectors do that also? or is it just mine

one other thing i have noticed that it does not give a tone when it comes across iron just the red light flicks on and off .. i suppose that is something in the design (good or bad) i've not decided  Undecided

also the discrimination setting is very confusing with this machine .. i went near a piece of copper pipe and rather than showing copper it went off the scale.. so i tried several metals including coins and it all depends on the distance from the coil and the size of the object .. is this usual???

On another note, think i'm gonna do like X and build myself a PI (Yup, its now been several months and still not done it yet, must get myself sorted!!! -- just looking for that elusive find to pay for it  Embarrassed ) with better depth detection  Detecting and just dig everything that squeals  Freddy Kr?ger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37250.msg229420.html#msg229420

Happy Hunting Detecting

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

SS is non ferrous.  A magnet should not be attracted to it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37250.msg229422.html#msg229422

Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:46:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

KK that explains it .. thanks  Smiley  (yup your right .. just tested it  Grin) .. funny that, being as you use iron carbon and a few other metals to make it

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37250.msg229423.html#msg229423

Happy Hunting Detecting

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:17:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
SS is non ferrous.  A magnet should not be attracted to it.

Not all stainless steel is like that. Some attracts a magnet just fine. Look it up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37250.msg229714.html#msg229714

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: