[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline DavepTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

75.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 51.0.2704.103
Chrome 51.0.2704.103

Awards

White's Silver Eagle
« on: July 13, 2016, 12:02:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey all, been looking at the DIY projects.  While I'm no electronics engineer, I am a decent fabricator. I'm looking for a project that will be able to pick gold out of black sand in dry streambeds etc.

After drooling over several threads, and finally realizing I didn't even know where to start, or what I really need.

I'm looking for a fairly complete project documentation wise, I can do the build, I just don't know electronics that well.

What would you build for dry land gold?

Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63223.msg312289.html#msg312289

Offline Timc
Copper Member

Thank you10

Activity
0%

Australia

245.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 49.0.2623.112
Chrome 49.0.2623.112

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 06:05:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Dave. Yep, it's addictive. Hmmm.... my suggestion would be either a PI capable of very short delay, with either a litz wire, tinned copper stranded, basket weave, or spiderweb coil, of small size.....or a 15-50kHz VLF or IB. The best bought ones I have is the Garrett Infinium (PI), and the Whites GMT E-series (VLF 50kHz).
 The GMT has a black sand meter, which is handy, because where the black sand accumulates most is the best chance of gold. But the black sand will drown out the gold signal.
Older 100kHz IBs, like my Compass 94B, can also "detect" black sands, in that the threshold tone will disappear over iron or black sands.
The best idea with this is to then dig the black sands, then pan it to take off the light stuff. A magnet can then be used to remove the sands from the gold.
Another handy machine is the Falcon MD20, which can detect  gold you can't even see.
A PI with an adjustable threshold and delay may be able to discern a small nugget over the black sands signal. A GMT with the SAT (self-adjusting threshold) turned off, and gain up, may also.
For a homebuild, you are best to start with a PI, as VLF/IB coils are very hard to get right. The most documented are the Whites Surfmaster/surfpro, the Baracuda, the Minipulse, and the Hammerhead, which are all extensively covered on the Geotech forum, as is building a "fast"coil for these.
Sven at Treaurelinx has a machine called a Mirage PI, which is a souped up Hammerhead, but boards are hard to get and expensive, and he has never documented his modifications, to my knowledge.
My Surfpro I purchased the completed board from Tacoma56 on Ebay, and assembled the detector from it using a Minelab 10x5DD coil.
It will see 1.7g of flour gold at 4-5 inches in an air test. The surfpro has variable delay, sensitivity, and threshold, and automatic ground balance.
My Baracuda was purchased as a bare board from Silverdog UK. I now have it working well, but am still experimenting with coils.
Currently my best is 3-4 inches on 1.7g flour gold air test. It has variable delay and threshold.
I have the Minipulse board and IDXpro(VLF) on the way from Silverdog also. He is the best value for homebuild boards, and can supply all components also.
But my best performer so far is the Surfpro(made for a DD coil).Not to be confused with the Surf PI 1.2 that Silverdog sells, but apparently that is good also.

For creekbeds with black sand, I would probably first try a PI.
I'm really only a beginner, so Goldigger or other more experienced members may disagree or contradict some of my statements here- hopefully my post will spark some more replies for you Dave.
I suggest you sign up to Geotech also, if you're not already. Most posting on similar subjects here will be members there also.

Here's some project pics.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63223.msg312486.html#msg312486

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

camera 458_small.jpg
camera 475_small.jpg
camera 494_small.jpg
camera 495_small.jpg
camera 496_small.jpg

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 47.0
Firefox 47.0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 07:40:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the Forum.   All above info looks fair to me.  All of those project are well documented .  Silverdog does not do a Surf Pro kit but the information is out there.

I would like to try the TGSL kit he offers.  Runs at 12Khz a little low for fine gold but that's ok.

Eugene was working on the Lobo (20Khz) .  You would need to burn your own board and come up with the parts.  Most all information is available.

Some Info for you. 

Please Register or Login

http://www.silverdog.co.uk/shop2/index.php?route=product/category&path=36

One guys plan ! 

Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlV4KY6Al0

Let us know what you think.

Homefire.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63223.msg312487.html#msg312487

Offline Timc
Copper Member

Thank you10

Activity
0%

Australia

245.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 49.0.2623.112
Chrome 49.0.2623.112

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 08:44:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cheers Homefire. Yeah the Lobo would be good, but meanwhile I have the IDX&Minipulse coming-and still have Newhobbys Bulgarian Magnum to start. That's 17 kHz from memory, and may be a good gold-getter yet. A very neat 2 board IB. I'm not one for flashy displays and the like, but will go for the 2 tone mod on the IDX.
Also will acquire some LM3914 LED drivers to attempt a 10 red, 10 green Id IB-maybe the Arado 120B. Meters are too expensive, or small, or faced wrong.
My go-to machine currently is my Compass 94B- it's only a tad less sensitive than the GMT, but ignores iron. I have hand sketched the layout, and found the schematic. Will re-design the board on PCBexpress(should download Gerber instead), but I need some coil experience first.
The test coil I got for the IDX is a 6x4 shooter, plus I have a supposedly faulty IDXpro box,topshaft,meter, with Mr Bill mods, coming too.
Oh well, back over to Geotech now- I'm up to page 107 on the IDX thread....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63223.msg312488.html#msg312488

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: