[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dbannerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Trinidad and Tobago
Referrals: 0

360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Firefox 17.0
Firefox 17.0

Awards
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:19:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

check out the video i found on you tube for this detector. search "Металлоискателю 40 лет". unbelievable depth on coins. i have posted the schematic etc. anyone got a ferrite toroid with specs to make L2 coil. and germanium pnp transistors. are they not obsolete?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58075.msg284539.html#msg284539

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

3-7-1.jpg
3-7-2.jpg
3-7-3.jpg
3-7-4.jpg
bfo.abw.pdf
vintage russian bfo.pdf

Offline technos
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

250.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 38.0.2125.111
Chrome 38.0.2125.111

Awards

whites eagle spectrum
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 04:25:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by {author}
germanium pnp transistors. are they not obsolete?

Thanks for taking the time for posting this to the forum, fellow metal detector builder!

Yes, the germanium pnp transistors are in fact obsolete. On top of that, they are Russian transistors, so they would be hard to find (unless you happen to be in Russia!). You can occasionally find old transistors for sale on ebay.

The title in Russian from the youtube detector I watched was called "40 year old detector" but it really looks like it is a 50 year old design from the sixties.

This, however, would not be my first choice if I was building a BFO detector. Mostly because it would take work to engineer the circuit using modern easily available components, and the coil would need redesigning. If you peruse the 'downloads' section, you will find a schematic for an equivalent "BFO" detector which would most likely perform  equally well if not better, that was published in EDN magazine in 1997. You could probably build a similar coil for it that was shown in the youtube video for the Russian detector. The coil diameter actually is what relates to what depth that it has, and it is not necessarily "unbelievable" - as sometimes is the case there is more "hype" than reality when selling a particular design! But it is part of the metal detecting business. I think how successful your detector is depends on how much you are willing to dig!

I enjoy these old circuits not so much for the intent of building them, but more from a historical perspective to see how they were designed and how the transistors would be biased. The most practical use for a circuit like this today actually would be in a "pinpointer" design.

It is rewarding to understand how modern detectors work, but it requires a lot of effort, as they can be quite complicated. There is a book published by Carl Moreland called "Inside the Metal Detector".

I am not active in the forums too much these days, as I have other obligations and persuits. But I wanted to chime in here as it is not too often that someone posts a schematic for something!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58075.msg284607.html#msg284607

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:27:46 am by technos »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: