[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline conanTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

195.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows Vista/Server 2008
Firefox 45.0
Firefox 45.0

Awards
« on: March 19, 2016, 05:30:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi I'm testing for a friend a Seben 5002 Metal detector that the threshold tuning sound does not hold
and you have to keep on pressing the re-tune button to get the starting sound but dies very quickly
there for you loose a lot of depth and sensitivity I know it's not worth the time to fix etc
But has anyone had the same problem and fix it?
I checked all the IC'S and transistors and diodes and they are all seem OK  
Also he has two coils and both are OK
Not going any further for the meantime like capacitors etc
What is the more likely problem like I said if anyone had experience with this problem let us know
Detector only gets a good signal from large metal objects or very close small items
But the main obvious fault is re-tune threshold fades away loosing most power and depth
Please no criticism on the brand or make or is good or bad etc We know all that
Just facts of knowing what components could be the culprit
Thanks  

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310517.html#msg310517

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

1st series MD 5002.jpg
md5002-pcb.jpg

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:32:27 am by conan, Reason: made a mistake and removed photos »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 42.0
Firefox 42.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:52:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

If I were guessing, I'd say your Ground Balance/Discrimination circuitry was unstable and may need testing. One thing I also noted was that in the manual, step 15.4, there is a Press and Hold for the tuning button to start tuning. Not press and release. I know you're sharper than that but it would bear carefully repeating steps 15 and 16 just to be sure. Also, be sure your battery is fresh.

At the risk of facing your angry backlash, that brand used is not worth the value of even an hour of repair time. I charge $50/hour and those go for $10 used at swap meets.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310518.html#msg310518

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia

195.00 Gold
View Inventory
Firefox 45.0
Firefox 45.0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 06:57:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi and thanks for most of your reply-As you say it's not worth it but that's life
The owner is a friend and Favors are not dealt in Dollar values
Getting back to the subject the detector was working fine I have actually used it before when working properly
And it was very sensitive and powerful for what it is But the only fault now is the Tuning does not hold
We know you have to press and hold and tune dial to get the ultimate starting sound
But in this case now it fades very quickly until you press and hold re-tune button but fades straight back
I will have to check with more detail some Capacitors that would hold the tune for a lot longer that may be faulty
Without a proper schematic as you say it can be very time consuming
That's why if anybody has or had the same problem and was rectified could save a lot of time
But because of the non popularity this model has it could be a stab in the dark
It must be a low quality control issue since some are really good and most are Faulty and unstable
They have enough IC's and transistors to perform properly but no Tuning Module like the older Garrett's
But like I said that is another dilemma that is not going to fix the problem
Thanks 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310519.html#msg310519

Offline NE555
Bronze Member

Thank you124

Activity
0%

Lithuania

1540.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Elite
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:02:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

i see mine pic of board. you have to read PDFs of articles on Magnum and ETI 1500 at Moreland's site before to do something.
that ll give you a clue principle start point how this real-static unit is working. without that basic knowledge
you can do nothing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310522.html#msg310522

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:11:06 am by NE555 »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 42.0
Firefox 42.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:33:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

If you want to look into it a little deeper, you probably have a bad or malfunctioning PLL circuit. That's a Phase Locked Loop which is what keeps the machine tuned rock solid. If you can read the chip part numbers, look for one marked NE602. That's a common chip in metal detectors which is actually a double balanced mixer that can be used as a PLL. Also, an NE567 tone decoder is used as a PLL circuit. If you see either of them (both are 8 Pin DIP) those might be the problem.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310523.html#msg310523

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia

195.00 Gold
View Inventory
Firefox 45.0
Firefox 45.0

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:22:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi again in relation to NE555 comment Thanks yes you are right the pic of the board is the same one but not the actual one
Since yours does not have the Two Pots (Tuning and Discrimination Pots) Since there are slight difference of the same model
If I have more time to take photos I will remove yours and display mine Both are the same as mention for description purpose

Golddigger1950 I actually looked into that and there is a NE553 8 pin 7.5 V Operation Silicon RF Power LDMOS FET
Replaced it with a new one and no change maybe I will double check it and surrounding components
Other IC's are TLO82 checks good and TLO64 checks good and (CA3140 also replaced) and CD4060 to mention all of them
But like a mention all the IC's check OK or have being replaced maybe I missed a Culprit transistor but they are pretty standard
Sometimes you get the odd weird fault of a leg from a Capacitor bent too much not properly making contact or a dying one?
If it's not a common fault with this unit and no one with the same fault reply's I might have to look deeper and spend more time
Cheers

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310524.html#msg310524

Offline NE555
Bronze Member

Thank you124

Activity
0%

Lithuania

1540.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Elite
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 11:18:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by conan
Hi again in relation to NE555 comment Thanks yes you are right the pic of the board is the same one but not the actual one
Since yours does not have the Two Pots (Tuning and Discrimination Pots) Since there are slight difference of the same model
If I have more time to take photos I will remove yours and display mine Both are the same as mention for description purpose

i can not guess what you mean. yup two pots were removed from board - for more clear pics.
i always delete all wire and pots that obscure a bord for better view at camera shoting.
indeed on your first pic i see an unit with TWO pots at panel, NOT four pots.
while you maybe mean a chinese with 4 pots aside.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310526.html#msg310526

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:18:47 am by NE555 »
Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X
Mac OS X
Safari 9.0
Safari 9.0

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 06:04:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
If you want to look into it a little deeper, you probably have a bad or malfunctioning PLL circuit. That's a Phase Locked Loop which is what keeps the machine tuned rock solid. If you can read the chip part numbers, look for one marked NE602. That's a common chip in metal detectors which is actually a double balanced mixer that can be used as a PLL. Also, an NE567 tone decoder is used as a PLL circuit. If you see either of them (both are 8 Pin DIP) those might be the problem.

Ne567! They are still using those? The time constant RC values were temp and voltage fluctuations would cause the decoder to drift off frequency. Used to use those in home made DTMF decoders.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310533.html#msg310533

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 42.0
Firefox 42.0

Awards

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Mudflap
Ne567! They are still using those? The time constant RC values were temp and voltage fluctuations would cause the decoder to drift off frequency. Used to use those in home made DTMF decoders.

I used them in a design for a wide band rf decoder for remote garage door openers 25 or so years ago. I also used them in the remote for a PLL circuit to tune the device. Versatile beast and if you do the design correctly, rock solid stability. Yes, still in use although the NE602 has a newer descendant. If memory serves, it is the NE607 but I may be wrong. I pretty much stay away from analog these days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310537.html#msg310537

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline yasinski oscar
Pull Tab

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Argentina

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 48.0.2564.116
Chrome 48.0.2564.116

Awards

algunos construidos por mi
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 05:15:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

there any matter the value of the equipment, the important thing is the solution.
It tests the IC pins with PCB.
Visually check any clues if ay cut
It tests PCB tracks contact point to contact point
reviews and test wiring CONNECTION
Or try to replace IC setting, which almost certainly there is your probrlema.
Sorry for my bad English.
REGARDS,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62752.msg310541.html#msg310541

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: