[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 01:11:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Eugene52;

I wonder, did you read the links, you put up?

link number 1 - patent refused!

all other links - unsubstantiated advertizing, one even claimed to be using the (refused) patent.

I think you may have shot yourself in the foot..... do you work for, have stock in, or get paid by Minelab? If you don't, then your claims are credible, but unsubstantiated, as is the value of using skin-effect reduction technology at audio frequencies..... you have not made your  case, yet.

One of the links even quotes the fact there IS added expense, as well as gold this and gold that.... the added expense does NOT support the minor gain that may be achieved,  it is a money-grab. Tin is a much more durable contact material and cheap, gold is nice, but a gold alloy is more durable.... there are a thousand ways to do things, with no one way the best, and some that are the worst.

goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6599.msg44472.html#msg44472

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:18:17 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline AllodiumTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Tanzania, United Republic of

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 03:57:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Please Register or Login

GB Patent 2253057
was in fact "WITHDRAWN OR REFUSED" dated August 26, 1992

That may be because Minelab already had patented it (

Please Register or Login

US Patent 4890064
) in December 26, 1989

The fact that it's patented means very little, I'm sure there are hundreds of patented products that are now obsolete or never really work well. What we need is a second or third opinion, has anyone here ever use a Commander Coil?

Here's some interesting Litz related links:

Please Register or Login

litz-wire.com/applications

Please Register or Login

newenglandwire.com/litz

Please Register or Login

engineering.dartmouth.edu/inductor

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6599.msg44493.html#msg44493

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:01:37 am by Allodium »

When science finally reveals the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to find out that they are not it.

Offline AllodiumTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Tanzania, United Republic of

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 04:28:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Eugene52
After you build your Metal Detector Circuit you will then have to make a choice on what search-coil to make , a Concentric or DD configuration ? Will it have Litz wire or not ?

I'm working on building the Goldscan IV will probably go with a concentric coil to start as I hear it has greater depth. Later an elliptical, a DD, and a probe. Will not be using Litz at first as it is still up for debate, I will experiment with it(an other ideas) at a later date once I've practiced with more concrete methods.

Allodium

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6599.msg44496.html#msg44496

When science finally reveals the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to find out that they are not it.

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 08:04:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
Eugene52;

I wonder, did you read the links, you put up?

link number 1 - patent refused!

all other links - unsubstantiated advertizing, one even claimed to be using the (refused) patent.

I think you may have shot yourself in the foot..... do you work for, have stock in, or get paid by Minelab? If you don't, then your claims are credible, but unsubstantiated, as is the value of using skin-effect reduction technology at audio frequencies..... you have not made your  case, yet.

One of the links even quotes the fact there IS added expense, as well as gold this and gold that.... the added expense does NOT support the minor gain that may be achieved,  it is a money-grab. Tin is a much more durable contact material and cheap, gold is nice, but a gold alloy is more durable.... there are a thousand ways to do things, with no one way the best, and some that are the worst.

goldigger

Hello Again Goldigger . Thanks for posting your comments and opinions . I read and post all patents for the Technical information . I do not work for Minelab but I sure would like to see the inside of a "Commander coil" . And if I ever found out there is no Litz wire used inside as advertised , I would definitely not ever buy a Minelab . Tesoro and Whites are my favorites anyway . I did read all the Links and still posted them . One way or another we will find out the truth about Minelabs claim and the answer will not effect you or me personally . Keep on posting your ideas Goldigger I appreciate it and so does this Forum . I am a moderator but you have not broken any rules . I am not here to make you look bad in any way and of course I am not your electronics instructor . I am just here to try to help people and to learn when I need help . I have learned a lot from this Forum and all the people here are Great !!! Just keep personal remarks to a minimum and you will continue to be a valuable Forum Member for many more years . Keep up the Great Work Goldigger !!! I am glad you are on this forum .
Best Regards........HH......Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6599.msg44566.html#msg44566

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:47:36 am by Eugene52 »

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 09:58:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Eugene52;

I have been doing my own personal webbot crawling and have found vry mixed results.... some bear out use of silver, for skin effect control, but a several hundred kHz, others tout silver Litz, of very large size, of course, for speaker wiring (very expensive,) and I calculated a rough cost for a simple locator at around $2500 from one source.... it seems like the field has been deliberately muddled.

I did find a bit of data (largely drowned out by silver 'noise,') that says proximity effect is FAR,FAR more responsible for losses, than skin effect. Which means: thicker insulation OR wider spaced windings. This explains why DX loops, for reception, work better if the wire is separated by several wire diameters, to inches, which can not be done with metal locators. BUT, thicker dielectric (insulation) will reduce proximity effect, and can be tolerated.

I have a mass of stuff, I can upload, including some silver wire (with copper core, mostly) and copper sources. Unfortunately, I can not remove the company names and it will be like free advertising., so I got several, so as not to favour any one company. The costs are VERY revealing!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6599.msg45642.html#msg45642

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

en-wikipedia-org_wiki_Litz_wire_gs5cirby.pdf

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: