[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lycidas69Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:51:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I poked around with this thing and had the "usual" bounty hunter problem of the darn thing falsing at any bump or when submerged. Since I plan to build my own brain-board PI detector to replace the board in this old bounty hunter I had some learning to do. And this thing was my victim to learn on.

Always my first step: Repair and improve the existing product. It's the best crash course on how something works and thinks, usually involves serious web searching on forums like this.

Hacking equipment isn't always fun. It normally involves allot of research, then VERY careful inspection of the equipment. Almost like archeology you have to peel back the layers. Mostly it just sucks, but sometimes you find the jem.

My first discovery was the cable that attached to the box from the coil. EVERY wire but one was cold soldered and could be easily pulled out by hand. (after much pain-staking carving on the plug to remove the housing.) The only wire that wasn't cold soldered was the "common" white wire. Interesting.

Note: If your not curious why it failed, don't do this, it's a pain. Clip the damn thing off and be done with it. On BOTH sides. Remove/Replace

--I removed both sides of the plug, replacing them for now with a common 4 point plug you can get off any old computer power supply. Though the plug has six (6) pins it only requires four (4.)

That done, and happy with myself. I shot off to the beach at Tybee Island only to be defeated once my coil hit salt water. The old problem returned and with a vengeance that could not be ignored by simply moving around the coil wire.

I let this sit for a while and only today finally dug in and solved the problem.

ITS IN THE COIL ITSELF!

Yep. I found another cold solder. This time it was the "ground" silver wire. The little "tube" that the coil wire inters into the coil is NOT sealed. It's only healed in by friction. This let in salt water and created a buildup that caused an intermittent contact with the coil ground.

--I re-soldered ALL contacts inside the coil. After spending a few hours slowly picking off foam from the area. Which surprisingly wont burn off, but the plastic that forms the coil will. Don't try this as a shortcut. lol

Result:
  A completely functional Bounty Hunter that now detects deeper, doesn't beep when swung too hard, or false when bumping something with the coil. I didn't seal it up again so no salt water tests. I may, or may not, depends on my whimsical nature.

Now that I have it fixed; Time to rip it's brain out and start over.  Club

Yes, I do have pic's. Just too lazy now. It's been a long day. I will post them "soon"  Wink.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18431.msg119582.html#msg119582

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:59:41 pm by lycidas69 »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:11:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you Decide to Terminate the Poor thing, I need the 100K Switch Pot out of it. Great  On / Off switch Volume control.

I received one in the Bone Yard that is in need of one.

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/contests_lotteries/the_bone_yard_is_now_open_bring_out_your_dead_dying_and_inept-t17146.0.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18431.msg119595.html#msg119595

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:19:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

heck you could probably grab one of those out of any old broken radio. these parts are universal. It doesn't have to "come from" anything. I'm guessing your TR1 Pot Switch went bad? I was eyeballing mine, but decided to leave it alone for now. Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18431.msg119604.html#msg119604

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:25:19 pm by lycidas69 »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As  the Pot / Switch is part of the stand off to the board, It's sorta hard to find the right one.

I can put the Pot back in and just add a On/Off Switch if I have too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18431.msg119605.html#msg119605

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They are normally labled. Yep they are on the circuit board normally held on by three solder points. Do you have solder braid or something to remove solder? Simply heat with soldering iron suction or use solder braid to remove solder then tap out component. Now your hacking Smiley

A potentiometer is a potentiometer. They are the same even if different colors. With my eyes now I need magnifying glasses or something to see.

Damn! I have bifocals. Guess I'm an old fart now. Don't get into a firefight with me though  Fight lol

Posted on: October 09, 2010, 10:37:32 PM
if pins/stand offs are hindering you. Then

Remove Them.

They are in the way after all. Keep the leads of new wires as short as possible and your good to go.

Hack= Cut it out, Replace it with something that works.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18431.msg119607.html#msg119607

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: