[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:30:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been seriously enjoying reading many posts about the modifications, tweaks and hacks that people here are doing to their commercial detectors. I have also enjoyed the schematics and thoughts about building your own machine.

Let us all put our heads together and design, at least the specifications, for the ultimate detector - The Dream Machine!

It may never come to be but we should have some fun deciding what it should do. I will start the ball rolling. To be most clear, put an asterisk next to any new suggestion that you wish to add. Lay out the best features of what this Dream Machine would do. The sky is the limit. When this thread runs its course, I will post a summation of the features our Dream Machine will have. I will be hopeful that we will not need a forklift to carry it around.

* Bluetooth(tm) headset incorporated in the audio system so when my phone rings, I can answer it without having to fumble for the phone, take off my headphones and answer it. Bluetooth(tm) being wireless means no cord in the way. Ideally, the machine would go silent for the duration of the call and return to service when I hang up.

* Able to tell me the real shape of an object - round, square, long, skinny, tubular and etc.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg42679.html#msg42679

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:53:42 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:49:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I have been seriously enjoying reading many posts about the modifications, tweaks and hacks that people here are doing to their commercial detectors. I have also enjoyed the schematics and thoughts about building your own machine.

Let us all put our heads together and design, at least the specifications, for the ultimate detector - The Dream Machine!

It may never come to be but we should have some fun deciding what it should do. I will start the ball rolling. To be most clear, put an asterisk next to any new suggestion that you wish to add. Lay out the best features of what this Dream Machine would do. The sky is the limit. When this thread runs its course, I will post a summation of the features our Dream Machine will have. I will be hopeful that we will not need a forklift to carry it around.

* Bluetooth(tm) headset incorporated in the audio system so when my phone rings, I can answer it without having to fumble for the phone, take off my headphones and answer it. Bluetooth(tm) being wireless means no cord in the way. Ideally, the machine would go silent for the duration of the call and return to service when I hang up.

* Able to tell me the real shape of an object - round, square, long, skinny, tubular and etc.

Great Idea GoldDigger !! Maybe a VLF with DSP / Microcontroller . Wireless headphones . Bright LCD Display , Dual-Frequency . What if a telemarketer is on the phone , AUTO-HANG-UP ? ....Sorry , I just saw this post Today . If anyone has more comments about the features or options to add , Please post them right here !!!
HH..........Regards.........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44658.html#msg44658

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:13:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've had a few other ideas since but the telemarketer hang up feature is a hot suggestion! A 32 bit DSP computer is essential to this device as the feature list will become enormous. Wait until the "will it detect a target at 10m" guys see this topic.

Further suggestions:

* A battery condition "gas gauge" like on laptops which tells the actual battery state in both volts and remaining amp hours.

* Rechargeable batteries similar to those in power tools which can be zipped in and out instantly when needed. Lighter, of course.

* An ultra-bright green LED at the focal point of the coil with a switch on it so you can briefly turn it on and impress a red spot on your retina temporarily to put a virtual spot on the ground for you. When you move the coil aside, the red spot indicates where to dig.

* Little rear view mirrors on the side of the box which allow you to see kids and other pests sneaking up on you. LoL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44661.html#msg44661

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:15:13 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey golddigger and Eugene,
*What do you think about optional gps input and output to a laptop with software for imaging? Like gpr and  mute button for phone calls?  Great idea
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44662.html#msg44662

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 06:28:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by findoldstuff
Hey golddigger and Eugene,
*What do you think about optional gps input and output to a laptop with software for imaging? Like gpr and  mute button for phone calls?  Great idea
FOS

I like it! In this machine, the sky is the limit so add it all. Downloadable data logging with GPS is a great idea. Integrated with the Bluetooth(tm) technology would allow it to do it in real time.

I was thinking of a data logger to allow you to map a small area beneath you, perhaps a meter square, where you get a 3d image plot with peaks and valleys to give you a good idea of what is down there. If you go into the plot mode, those annoying manhole cover sized targets could be mapped to show that they look like a soda can or an axe head or whatever.

Hey, it IS a dream machine after all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44665.html#msg44665

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 06:36:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I mentioned that on another thread and got shot down. I really like the bluetooth part (wireless), multi- frequency. Oh course if it gets too heavy there will need to be a backpack.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44668.html#msg44668

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:39:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I mentioned that on another thread and got shot down. I really like the bluetooth part (wireless), multi- frequency. Oh course if it gets too heavy there will need to be a backpack.

As I recall you wanted to incorporate a datalogger into a PI machine and I mentioned that converting the analog to digital was required. It sill is but remember, this is a design project not an adapt-a-detector project.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44669.html#msg44669

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:44:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats right- the analog to digital converter I last looked at was less than $10. Looks like only you and I are dreamin up the dream machine for now- What size coil do you think?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44670.html#msg44670

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:01:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats right- the analog to digital converter I last looked at was less than $10. Looks like only you and I are dreamin up the dream machine for now- What size coil do you think?

That would be $10.00 for a single chip not for all the stuff you need to record your analog data. That's not a plug and play chip, you know. You need a microcontroller, a good chunk of external memory and a program to save the data. Then you need another program to interpret the data and display it in a usable format. All doable, of course, but not at all simple.

Coils? Why, lots of them for a variety of uses. What would be ideal is a single specification for the coil that was not a secret but public domain so you can design your own.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44686.html#msg44686

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 08:11:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok the microcontroller- there is source codes online right-  chip programmer is $59.00 and the software to decode- there is Surfer7 which expensive but I have a bookmarked site with several other software titles- with all the intelectuals on here I bet someone knows how to write a program but if not I will dig further into the other softwares and source codes. Ok memory- the new small laptops maybe they could be a source! It is still an interesting subject.
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44689.html#msg44689

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: