[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bludger
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

soveriegn pro, homebrew goldseeker PI
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 01:50:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

[clapp]Thanks Digger Rubby ducky your the one, 1/4 length dipole antenna, folded back on its self.
Was never very up on antennas didnt get round to taking ham exam.
but from what your saying would your 1/2 pipe design look like 2 half cylinder parabolics?
That would be more robust than mesh parabolic dish.Would focusing be similar?
So half cylinder with 1/4 wave stub at focul around 31mm for 2.4G (length being critical for frequency).
I was also thinking we are only looking for signal loss so only need transmit to single antenna?

Cheers Jeff

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg53350.html#msg53350

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2009, 05:47:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bludger
[clapp]Thanks Digger Rubby ducky your the one, 1/4 length dipole antenna, folded back on its self.
Was never very up on antennas didnt get round to taking ham exam.
but from what your saying would your 1/2 pipe design look like 2 half cylinder parabolics?
That would be more robust than mesh parabolic dish.Would focusing be similar?
So half cylinder with 1/4 wave stub at focul around 31mm for 2.4G (length being critical for frequency).
I was also thinking we are only looking for signal loss so only need transmit to single antenna?

Cheers Jeff

RUBBER DUCKY -
1) not in the tub;
2) does not float;
3) made of helical antenna encased in rubber = very short, very flexible and has an annoying name;
4) popular use on walky-talkies.

FOLDED DIPOLE-
1) 1/4 wave length long X velocity factor (ie: in wire, VF = 0.97, if TV twin lead = 0.72 to 0.84);
2) can be a bit shorter than single wire 1/4 wave;

> from what your saying would your 1/2 pipe design look like 2 half cylinder parabolics?

Yes, but the pipe (shaped to keep cylindrical shape) would have to have a curved form to hold it open and the antenna goes length-wise, with the pipe and placed about 1/4 wave in front (minimum of 0.1 wave length. If the average frequency = 2.55 gHz, wavelength = 11.7 cm (4.63 in.) Seems to me, I said LONGER, last post, my calculator (cheap Chinese) makes errors, so only short piece of pipe is needed. A 1/2 wave folded  dipole (300 ohms) is 5.7 to 5.75 cm (2 1/4 inches!)

Focus should be a narrow beam, but less narrow at 90 degrees, kind of like a high pressure water spray (flat broom?)

A folded dipole is broader band, so 5.75 cm should work with a high frequency transistor oscillator, swept from 3.4 gHz to 1.7 gHz.

The base current can be measured, just like a dip meter, and can even be digital, using the amplified dip as neg. logic. So a beeper can be triggered, with a threshold and everything.

The hardest part is to get a sweep to cover 1.7 - 3.4 gHz.

Using a receive, the reflected signal can do just as good a job, noting a drop in signal and ignoring bumps (increased sig)

The dipole can be placed as close to the reflector as 1.175 cm but 5/8 wave or 7.35 cm is the best point for signal out and in.... it is optimum. (2 7/8 in.)

Do you figure to build it? You might use  a MMIC amp as an oscillator. They are designed for 50 ohms in/out.... how to sweep? Motor rotated capacitor? The dipole will present a frequency determinator.... that is, it should oscillate at the antenna frequency.  personally, I favour the transistor or an UHF FET.

More? I can do a simple schematic and post it... anyone interested can play to their heart's content.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg53689.html#msg53689

goldigger

Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2009, 05:54:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
Actually, I was thinking a couple pieces of aluminum vent pipe... but a 1/4 wave antenna, at 1.7 gigaHertz, is about 17 inches long! At 3.5 gigaHertz, is near to 8.4 inches... still too big! Maybe cut the pipe length wise, for a reflector.

Use a rubber ducky made for 2.55 gHz?

goldigger

I'm still wondering how the moisture in the soil will affect the overall reading. I've been out of here for a while with a nagging, indecisive hurricane but I have still been thinking and studying (no progress yet Grin)

Why not, Brian... Post the schematic and let's have a look see!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg53690.html#msg53690

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2009, 06:06:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kendavid
I'm still wondering how the moisture in the soil will affect the overall reading. I've been out of here for a while with a nagging, indecisive hurricane but I have still been thinking and studying (no progress yet Grin)

Why not, Brian... Post the schematic and let's have a look see!

Forget the rubber ducky.... it was calculator error and a joke (and a bad joke at that.)

Moisture in the soil should be relative, that is, it should not change, over the relatively short time you scan, unless soil types vary greatly.

OK. I will whomp something up and come back to the forum, with it. But in the immortal words of Danny Kaye: *But first, ve danze!* That is, I will finish my catch-up, lo out, do the schematic, and log back in.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg53694.html#msg53694

goldigger

Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2009, 06:13:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
Forget the rubber ducky.... it was calculator error and a joke (and a bad joke at that.)

Moisture in the soil should be relative, that is, it should not change, over the relatively short time you scan, unless soil types vary greatly.

OK. I will whomp something up and come back to the forum, with it. But in the immortal words of Danny Kaye: *But first, ve danze!* That is, I will finish my catch-up, lo out, do the schematic, and log back in.

goldigger
Great

I'll catch it tomorrow. I had a rough day and tomorrow promises to be rougher so I best get off here and get some rest. Lookin' forward to seein' your schematic, bro. Smiley

Take care all and HH,
Ken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg53695.html#msg53695

KD

Offline bludger
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2009, 03:44:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
Yeh maybe single transistor varactor colpitts as a vco to sweep band,
or sort of harmonic rich ghz oscillator must be something?
Adjust uhf amp feedback so it oscillates, must be standard circuits around.
Just cooking dinner in microwave hope its not looking for gold leaking the 2.45 ghz had it for 16 years and still going good,1000W magnatron would boil away those soil moisture problems Ken Wink battery life would'nt be good Grin
Look forward to seeing your design too Digger.

Regards Jeff.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg53913.html#msg53913

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2009, 09:11:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
Yeh maybe single transistor varactor colpitts as a vco to sweep band,
or sort of harmonic rich ghz oscillator must be something?
Adjust uhf amp feedback so it oscillates, must be standard circuits around.
Just cooking dinner in microwave hope its not looking for gold leaking the 2.45 ghz had it for 16 years and still going good,1000W magnatron would boil away those soil moisture problems Ken Wink battery life would 'nt be good Grin
Look forward to seeing your design too Digger.

Regards Jeff.   

I could have uploaded yesterday but could not find this section! I searched and looked at all the likely forums but NOTHING! Today..... there it is.... it pops up and slapped me in the face! Wo!

OK. The *circuit* is an expression of thoughts, that is, some ideas, and how they MIGHT be implemented. Also, the *box,* in the circuit is a stripline oscillator, on one side and an enclosure for the oscillator parts, on the other side. The box dimensions should be about 2:1

When calculating, using a varactor, I found it difficult to achieve the full frequency scan, so I would suggest two parallel stripline oscillators fed  with the same scan (sawtooth) voltage.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg54131.html#msg54131

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Copy of UHFscanner.txt
UHFscanner.jpg
UnitLayout.jpg

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:16:33 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline bludger
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 01:42:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Shocked good low component count use of same ic for saw and neat amp, should make it easy to put together
  Cheesy i'm not good with rf, the construction of the stripline, never dealt with one before that i can think of.
Is the box dimensions width and height crucial too and the coupling to the antenna is that a loop to the antenna connector?
Regards Jeff

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg55587.html#msg55587

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:45:23 am by bludger »
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Shocked good low component count use of same ic for saw and neat amp, should make it easy to put together
  Cheesy i'm not good with rf, the construction of the stripline, never dealt with one before that i can think of.
Is the box dimensions width and height crucial too and the coupling to the antenna is that a loop to the antenna connector?
Regards Jeff

I guess there is a formula for striplines but if you make the box about 1/2 as wide as it is long, should work. I usually figure the wire length as 300/mHz X 100 so you have centimeters,  then divide that in 1/2 for the 1/2 wave length and if it is a copper tube, multiply this by 0.95, but if it is #14 wire, use 0.97.

Thus for 2600 mHz : 100(300/2600) = about 11.5 cm. for full wave and 5.77cm X .97 (wire!) = 5.6 cm  If you make the box 8cm long and 3 to 4 cm wide/deep, it should work. Then solder the wire, centered at one end (drill a small hole to hold the wire and at the other end for one varactor or tiny trimmer cap), use about #14 house wire is good. The other end has back to back varactors soldered between the rod  end and the top of the box. the junction of the varactors has a 47k or 68k or 100 resistor, running square away from the rod to a pass-through capacitor (.0005 t0 .001ufd), this is for the tuning voltage (sawtooth.)

The link (about 300R) is a narrow loop with 2 or three turns. Each end can go to BNC plugs on the same side.... this goes to the *antenna,* which will provide the changing load, on the oscillator..... I think I explained the rest??? (A 1/2 turn, bent wire, grounded one end, is a 50 ohm link. Like an upside down L)

Maybe I should draw an enlarged picture of the stripline general idea???

Anyway, if one oscillator can not cover from 1.7 to 3.4 gHz, 2 boxes would be needed: 1.7 gHz to 2.6 gHz and 2.5 gHz to 3.4 gHz.... this makes a big change in box size  and rod length. The low one, centered on 2.25gHz and the top one centered on 2.95gHz are: 6.75cm rod and 10 by 5 cm box; 4.9cm rod with a 7.4 by 3.7 cm box..... this is the inside dimensions of the boxes, and they can be made of 2 side copper, pc board, soldered together.  Just make all boxes on a large piece of pc board.

Physically, it is simple, its just getting the dimensions right. If you have one of those small 2 or 4 gHz frequency counters, it helps..... build the low frequency one first and make sure it works, then the higher frequency one can be checked with 2 Schottky mixer diodes by mixing 2.25 gHz with 2.95 gHz to get 700 mHz (without modulation, in the center of the  tuning voltage ranges. There is a way to tune the rod, to get your perfect frequency: a thin square of *finger stock* with a center hole and 2 fingers for the rod. it slides towards the varactors to make the rod effectively shorter, thus higher in frequency. If you use this idea, start with a rod slightly longer than calculated. (at leas 1/4 inch or 6.4 mm longer)

It is all moot if you can not get UHF transistors that will work at these frequencies. Look at the fT rating; this is the maximum amplification frequency, but they will oscillate beyond this frequency.

The MMIC amps may work as oscillators but they have a fixed in/out impedance of 50 ohms, so a link has to be used to connect the input of the MMIC and another link (of the right phase) to connect the output of the MMIC, the stripline is then the sole determinant of frequency. Also, do not exceed operating current of the MMICs.

Have I helped or totally clouded the issue?Huh?Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg55807.html#msg55807

goldigger

Offline berkcenk
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%