[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldHoundTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

480.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace350, AT Pro, Deluxe Pointer and a much older ADS VLF/TR Deepseeker (purchased new in the 70's) - Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 - AutoMax Pin-pointer (which is crap) / soon a GPX 5000 Minelab and Garrett Infinium
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All,

Interested to know if anyone has been able to buy Minelab products from the US and have them sent to Australia...?

I have asked about this with a couple of companies and been told Minelab USA has had them sign an agreement which prohibits sales and shippment to Australia, yet they are free to send to many other countries, go figure.... Cheesy

The problem with this is Australia and the United States of America have a Free Trade Agreement and this policy from Minelab imposes a trade barrier to trade between us and would therefor be a clear breach of this agreement which is legislated into the laws of both countries trading policies, to which all companies have to abide by. Hell our own Government departments have to bend over backward to ensure that no US Company is discriminated against from trading with us in anyway.

I don't see how two very close and friendly countries which also have formal free trade agreements in place could knowingly accept any company imposing such contractual and highly discriminative trade practices on their agents.
On the face of it there appears to be a problem with these contracts and a fundamental flaw in them which just does not appear to be lawfully or enforceable.

The fact as Australian's we are expected to pay over $1000 more for a product others around the world can buy much cheaper regardless of exchange rates, is another issue and one to be taken up soon with the ACCC.

Any thoughts...?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg165351.html#msg165351

"There's Gold in them there Hills, just got to get of your arse and find it..."
Thanks Mr Garrett, love your work...
"A bad day's detecting with the family is better then any the kids would spend watching TV." Me....

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:59:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Minelab has somehow convinced the Australian government that outside competition is harmful for all Australians. Every detector imported into Australia has huge tariffs placed on them. The only exception is a second hand detector. Does that give you any ideas about what to do?

I'd suggest finding someone here you can trust to accept delivery of your machine, try it out for a few days, and then ship it to you in used or second hand condition. Which, of course, it will be by then. Just repackage it and send it in an ordinary box with the customs declaration stating that it is a used metal detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg165438.html#msg165438

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

480.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace350, AT Pro, Deluxe Pointer and a much older ADS VLF/TR Deepseeker (purchased new in the 70's) - Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 - AutoMax Pin-pointer (which is crap) / soon a GPX 5000 Minelab and Garrett Infinium
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:29:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like a plan.

I'm about three weeks away from bring these Free Trade Agreement issues to the attention of the PM and others at high level.

Metal detectors are not the only things we are being discriminated against by this one sided arrangement.

Legal advice I have already had would indicate this matter needs to be challenged. Discussions held with the US State department also have been interesting as I understand they have been bombarded with thousands of complaints about this from Aussies especially in relation the firearms parts.

Thanks,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg165443.html#msg165443

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:33:52 am by GoldHound »

"A bad day's detecting with the family is better then any the kids would spend watching TV." Me....

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GP Extreme  / Bounty Hunter/Minelab ETrac
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:49:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

I tried to import a E -Track from America to Australia . the American company I contacted said it couldnt do it because of a breach of an agreement with Minelab , Firstly the Aus. government  would miss out on the GST on the sale , but they would snag you on import duty over $1000 .  The funny thing is the E-Track is made in Ireland by  Minelab so how could Minelab miss a sale ?  they have already sold it .

The American deal was a great price against the Australian price ,as well the American deal was going to throw lots of goodies , Pinpointer ,cover, digging tools , book , sieve  Not like the Australian deal , you got no extras for free and it was still 50% dearer.

The problem is there is no serious competition here with limited dealers Australian wide , and thoes that sell Minelab are ham-strung with guidlines set by minelab .
I know of one Big dealer from North Queensland who complained about a Minelab product and lost his Minelab frachise.   No discounting allowed   Talk about a stitch-up  
By the way I love My E-Track .  Pity about the company policy.   Little gold diggers  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg165446.html#msg165446

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Pirate-01-june.jpg

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:54:56 am by aussie »
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

480.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:59:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

I am looking in to it as I believe ACCC needs to get onto them as there are a number of issues to follow up with Minelab.

Why they think its ok to rip us off and no one else has been singled out is beyond me and I think once it is investigated serious questions will need to me answered by them.

I understand the sales of their detectors here are not small. The government does not miss out on any GST for items worth over $1000. Certainly its crazy that a GPX 5000 sells for $6995 here and in the States I have seen them for around $5,500 with extra's.

Will let you know what happens over the next few weeks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg165447.html#msg165447

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

480.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Folks,

I have been looking into this matter in more detail (along with moving house) and there are a number of significant issues which have now been raised.

I'm keen to hear from any Australian's that have tried to buy Minelab (or any other product for that matter) from the United States and been refused shipment to Australia.

If you could private message me as there are some interesting things happening by way of formal investigation into this matter which will hopefully clear the way for us not to get so ripped off or disadvantaged in future.

Thanks.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg176874.html#msg176874

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:37:28 pm by GoldHound »

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 02:49:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Goldhound
                The problem with buying your detector overseas and importing it into Australia is that you might void your warranty

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg176953.html#msg176953

Offline jamjars
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Treasure Ace 100, Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (under review) Cheapy chinese thing (your's for $5), Fisher VLF551d (currently in peices)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 03:54:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

a mate of mine has bought a couple of detectors and had them shipped here (NZ) no problem. I don't know if they were minelab, not sure about warranty issues, but he's not had any problems getting them into the country.
so if anyone needs something, send it via NZ, there is more than one person who will
happily swing it for a couple of hours and send it to you "second hand" 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg176957.html#msg176957

Living in shaky town, where the earth will move for you too {alt}

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Jamjars
           I doubt that they were Minelab , but then with a bit of luck he could have .  The issue with Minelab is they do not transfer warranties from the original owner/ buyer.
            As with most imported things even if there is an agency for a  particular brand product in the country  , You might find the retailer  reluctant to honour a warranty on that  product ( even if it is the same  brand name ) if it was not sold in an Australian store .  of course there are exceptions but generaly you have to send it back to the country of origin to claim warranty .
           I had an experience with a Kabota tractor which was imported  and when I went to get spare parts from the Australian agent I had all sorts of problems trying to get parts , they didn't want to know about me

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg176963.html#msg176963

Offline jamjars
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Treasure Ace 100, Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (under review) Cheapy chinese thing (your's for $5), Fisher VLF551d (currently in peices)
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 04:46:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

i don't think we have a FTD with the US yet, i know we do with china, but then they have been flooding every market in the world, with or without a trade deal, for years!!
thinking about it now, he might have bought whites...
We have very few dealers for anything like this from the US or UK here so anyone buying online from overseas takes it as read that they ship it back to the factory or fix it themselves if anything goes wrong.
the other thing we have here is parallel importing, which means businesses can import goods from a manufacturer (or a wholesaler usually) as well as the "agent", but they have to be responsible for the warranty and make it clear it isn't supported by the manufacturers agent.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23094.msg176966.html#msg176966

Living in shaky town, where the earth will move for you too {alt}

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: