[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline millingtimeTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab explorer se pro
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I need to get more depth only seems like I'm getting maybe 6". i know this machine should get up to at least 8"to 10".

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85395.html#msg85395

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:48:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by millingtime
I need to get more depth only seems like I'm getting maybe 6". i know this machine should get up to at least 8"to 10".

On what? Every target? Dimes? Quarters? There's an awful lot missing from your question here including a brief description of your skill level. Are you using this machine for the first time?

Give us a bit more to work with. Finding an earring at 6" is terrific. Finding a quarter at 6" might be terrific if the area has been used only in recent times. It might be lousy if your area has been in constant use since the colonial era.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85402.html#msg85402

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:37:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Id like to find some older silver coins, been finding lots of newer clad and some rings, I hunt lots of parks and fair grounds in northern California area. my skill level- better than begginer lol!!!! had a whites mxt before this machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85417.html#msg85417

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now comes my stock answer because in spite of my extensive inventory, I don't have direct experience with your machine. This information is useful no matter what kind of detector you have.

First, begin by trying your machine in the all metal mode. That is with no discrimination, no fancy ground balance and no filtering. Read your manual to see how that setting is achieved.

Then, do some testing in the air by laying your detector on a non metal table. Don't be tempted to hang it over the edge of a metal table because the top of the coil is as sensitive as the bottom. Use a saw horse or put a 2x4 across two chairs. Anything that keeps the coil far away from metal. Using a wooden or plastic yardstick, begin testing the response in the air for all the coins in question. Record your findings.

Now do the same for the setting you were using that disappointed you. Record those findings. If you see a difference, that will be the beginning of the key to adjusting your machine correctly. If you don't see a difference, your machine may be malfunctioning or the operator may need more practice.

After your analyze your recorded findings, you have to really read your manual or perhaps go to the detector web page where more information may be available. Most manufacturers have forums where program settings to maximize your findings are posted.

Of course, you did the right thing by asking here. Wait a while and someone with direct knowledge will come by. In the mean time, the tips I gave you will work for any machine at all. Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85472.html#msg85472

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:04:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have had the SE PRO since last Sept. and have found a lot of coins with it. My current settings are those used by Bryce Brown's  "deep coin" Explorer settings. These settings are in a book put out by Andy Sabisch titled THE MINELAB EXPLORER AND ETRAC HANDBOOK.. The deep coin settings of Bryce are as follows:

Response -------Normal
Sounds======Conductive
Threshold Volume -----------10
Variability---------------------10
Limits--------------------------10
Volume Max Limit-------------7
Volume Gain ------------------10
Recovery--------------------------Deep off and fast off
Sensitivity set to Auto and at a value of 26
Iron Mask set to 22

The deep coins will have a very high pitched sqeaking sound on silver and wheat pennys. I'm currently hunting using the digital screen watching the numbers and listening to the sounds.

You might want to slow down as well if you are in an area that's producing silver, keep the coil close to the ground. If you are not sure about a target...DIG IT....

GD's advice is good to do as well.......I hope this helps you increase your finds.

Have a good day........John in Virginia

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85529.html#msg85529

Johnlaw

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:51:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

johns right great book,worth picking up

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85543.html#msg85543

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSC00308.jpg

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:04:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's the setting I'm using i think the deep silver is gone in northern California. lol last night went out got 23 quarters,16 dimes, 8 Penny's, and 10krt gold ring 2nd ring this week in 1.5 hr hunt Huh?.so i guess I'm having some luck. Thanks for your time. I'll swing a little slower

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85583.html#msg85583

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's the setting I'm using i think the deep silver is gone in northern California. lol last night went out got 23 quarters,16 dimes, 8 Penny's, and 10krt gold ring 2nd ring this week in 1.5 hr hunt Huh?.so i guess I'm having some luck. Thanks for your time. I'll swing a little slower

Looks like you are doing pretty, especially finding gold rings! I will switch to a smaller coil if there is a lot of trash. I currently use the Minelab 7.5 inch coil for the trashy sites. If you ever get into an old site where the soil hasn't been disturbed you might be surprised at how deep this particular detector will find coins.        John in Va..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85595.html#msg85595

Johnlaw

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Do those settings allow you to discriminate by tone? My Minelab El Dorado Mark II allows me to determine a target by tone (volume and pitch) which, over the years, has allowed me to recover some surprisingly deep targets.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85622.html#msg85622

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 02:50:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Do those settings allow you to discriminate by tone? My Minelab El Dorado Mark II allows me to determine a target by tone (volume and pitch) which, over the years, has allowed me to recover some surprisingly deep targets.

You can set the detector to accept everything (discrimination) and still tell what it's picking up by the tone,
pitch, numbers or movement of the target on the screen. By the above settings you can pretty well tell what the detector is picking by the sound pitch, target movement or digital reading. I'm not an expert on it yet. It takes a while to learn all the variables on this particular detector...

Hope that answers your question GD....John in Va

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13499.msg85649.html#msg85649

Johnlaw

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: