[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 09:37:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

RM , I under stand but theres one thing that cheap detectors do that is good, and that is they get folks in to the hobbie and they can use those machines as a stepin stone, coz one of my first machines cost $4000 and that nearly turned me sour, it's better to try somethin out first to see if you like it and not break the bank ,those machines are not really aimed at folks like you and me

john

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg142992.html#msg142992

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 09:46:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by auminesweeper
RM , I under stand but theres one thing that cheap detectors do that is good, and that is they get folks in to the hobbie and they can use those machines as a stepin stone, coz one of my first machines cost $4000 and that nearly turned me sour, it's better to try somethin out first to see if you like it and not break the bank ,those machines are not really aimed at folks like you and me

john

And Sometimes those Cheap Machines are lighter in weight and easier for people with Disabilities Like Me !!
Don't bash the people with the Cheap machines till u know why the own it and even then, as long as they are having fun and finding Aluminum , That's all that Matter's !!  Grin  Grin  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg142996.html#msg142996

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 10:25:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's right KARL coz this is a hobbie for all and we are team all part of a team that reaches all around the world, so the light machines make it possible for everyone to take part and i bought a micronta 4003 for ?80/$127 form tandys in 97/98 and i've still got it
and it still works, so cheap detectors serve us all ,1 gettin use into the hobbie, 2 Making it possible for folks who ain't built like Arnie.
and 3 there great for kids, and 4 there perfect for folks on a restricted income, OY  PSSSSSTT Karl i used another one of them long words again. but this is just what i see and my best friends are on here, and although we're a little crazy we prefer all meat and no bones in our stew,

When a say this i mean coz someone ain't spent $$$$$$$$$$ on adetector dont mean that they ain't serious about it ,coz i've wasted 10000+ on those type detectors and it was'nt til i grew up ( in my head that is ) and took the time to stop swinging that thing like i was cuttin grass, and actually understand the reasons and the cause and effect of the buttons, sweep speed ,G/Bing ,gain ETC.  but most of all but the detector that suits the area that your working not the detector you want, ie junk filled sites single freq fast recovery  or high mineralization get a Pulse machine, what suits me will not suit you 75%+ of the time . take care john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143005.html#msg143005

Offline RMILLER66Topic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whies,Minelab
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 02:52:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You guys are right for the most part and I see several flaws in what I was trying to get across.

Cheap detectors are a great start,live and learn.

As you get better educated,your detector gets better.

But something like a Nokta Goldking is still in a high price range for most.

And it does little to nothing that it advertises that it can do.

If I was new to the hobby and I was researching detectors and I had came across Nokta's Goldking ad with Kellyco's discount,I would have been hooked hook,line and sinker.

I just think companies that push this kind of equipment,like a Kellyco should be boycotted from use by the detecting clubs and organizations until they clean their act up and earn our respect back.

As far as cheap detectors that work and are pretty tough,nothing wrong with an entry level Whites or Garret.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143045.html#msg143045

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 03:14:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by RMILLER66
You guys are right for the most part and I see several flaws in what I was trying to get across.

Cheap detectors are a great start,live and learn.

As you get better educated,your detector gets better.

But something like a Nokta Goldking is still in a high price range for most.

And it does little to nothing that it advertises that it can do.

If I was new to the hobby and I was researching detectors and I had came across Nokta's Goldking ad with Kellyco's discount,I would have been hooked hook,line and sinker.

I just think companies that push this kind of equipment,like a Kellyco should be boycotted from use by the detecting clubs and organizations until they clean their act up and earn our respect back.

As far as cheap detectors that work and are pretty tough,nothing wrong with an entry level Whites or Garret.

"I just think companies that push this kind of equipment,like a Kellyco should be boycotted from use by the detecting clubs and organizations until they clean their act up and earn our respect back."

I Really Don't understand this Comment.

There Retailers offering a product as yet another choice for you.

They sell Lot's of things I can't afford.

You just have to keep between your lines.  

Any one shelling out that type of money with out doing any kind of Research was going to loose the money any ways.

LOL!

KellyCo is not to Blame.

Side Note:

One time I was at a Boat show.

I saw this 90ft Sail boat and just as a passing, I asked the Attendant how much was the thing.

Laughing He Smiled and said,   If you have to ask , You Can't Afford it.    LOL!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143048.html#msg143048

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:18:35 pm by homefire »
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes RM, When i first got in to this i thought that having the best would make me a better detectorist, which proved to be my undoing and it's easy for me to blaim the dealer who sold me the thing but the bottom line was i asked them for the best detector there was and that was the GP 3500 at the time, and i was warned but i just had to have the best, so i was a victim of my own stupidity and it cost me ?2400.00/$3814.00 and they can only just disc out some things, and I would have been better off with a magnet on a stick, And yes you are right some dealers do need to put on the brakes on what they sell to first timers, like i said the detector we want Is'nt always the one we need ,media hype ,gossip, etc ,
So this is way i tell people like you and because of this forum i can warn alot more people and save them from the same trap. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143049.html#msg143049

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 10:19:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

AU, the 3500 is a fine machine. There's a place here where you can get it upgraded at a reasonable cost. Seriously. There are folks who swear it comes out better than the 5000.

Please Register or Login

http://detectormods.com/GP3000_and_GP3500_mods.php

Your mileage may vary, naturally. Woody is a member here. He's on here infrequently though. See if you can lure him back while you're there. Tell him he has a fan club here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143179.html#msg143179

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline RMILLER66Topic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whies,Minelab
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 01:08:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

We can go back and forth with this for a month.

I understand what you are saying.

As a gentleman I do respect your oppion,I just don't agree with it.

If you were to call kellyco today and asked them how good the Nokta Goldking was,they would tell you that it was the best thing since having bottled water in the dessert on a hot day.

I know,I called them when it came out.

I then went on line to research the product further because it still (even after talking to the Kellyco pros's and reading the Nokta Goldking ad three times) sounded to good to be true.

My research actually came from joining this site as I was doing a search to find out more information on it.

I got lucky that I found this site.

Experienced or a newbee,some people will never find this site.

Now imagine your new or experienced at this hobby and you go on line and view a product from a company that has been selling detector related stuff for over half a century and then you call them and they reinforce everything in their ad.

They have test teams on all their products (usually for months before they are ever released to the public) and they no that it doesn't work anywhere near what they are telling us and you think that is acceptable?

I don't.

I would think that it would be better sell anyone,especially a newbee the truth.

And companies like Kellyco don't always do that.

And lets forget about price for a minute.

The cheapest detector or the most expensive.

If it doesn't do what it is advertised to do,it shouldn't be sold with that advertisement after it has been proven not to work as advertised.

If Kellyco (and others) are not to blame for the bogus ads on theirs sites,who is?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143557.html#msg143557

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 07:01:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi RM, it's like i said the detecters work differantly in differant ares its like air tests their only good for showin you the detection patten of the coil and not much more, in junk filled sites i just could'nt use my multi frequancy machines , on ares with not much junk their unbeatable take em on an area with 2500yrs of junk and they will find stuff but paint dries faster than these machines can
hunt , this is why i chose the machines i have , and they work well in high mineralized areas and they have a fast recovery speed
which is what you need to seperate the targets from the junk. you've read my stories so these are my views, but if they were based
in you ares then they would give you a more accurite recommendation, remember what is advertized on these sites , writen as an average not a fact ,good luck,

john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143591.html#msg143591

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Side Note:
One time I was at a Boat show.
I saw this 90ft Sail boat and just as a passing, I asked the Attendant how much was the thing.
Laughing He Smiled and said,  If you have to ask , You Can't Afford it.    LOL!

Homefire - the Ford Salesman Sarcastically told me the same thing when we went to buy the Ford Expedition ,
So we left went to a different Ford Dealer and bought a brand new one wrote the dealer a check , went back to the lot with the Smart a$$ and told him , if u had just told me the price - u could have had the commission  from this sale instead of another ford dealer and drove away , the look on his face was Priceless!!

I Don't buy anything with out knowing the price first. that's just me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20790.msg143608.html#msg143608

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: