[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mkiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT
« on: October 14, 2010, 02:19:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi everyone,
I am thinking of buying a Minelab Sovereign GT and I found a deal on a used one that looks brand new, comes with the box and all manuals, etc. for $450. The detector has no scratches, hasn't been abused or anything like that so I was wondering if that is a good deal, I know Kellyco is selling this same deal for $800!
My second question is if any of you has experience with the Sovereign GT, pros, cons, anything that might help me with my decision. I am planning on using the MD here in Georgia and maybe down in Florida on the beach looking for coins, jewelry, relics, etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18544.msg120507.html#msg120507

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:56:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi mki I bought  my sovereign GT over two years ago, when i bought it i was told to turn it on and leave it flat out, the first week i hated the thing.then i started  to experiment with the sensitivity by turning the sensitivitiy at the 3 o'clock position on a piece of clear ground then at 1 o'clock, then at 3 minutes to 12 it was running hot but very stable, disc set at zero, notch set at zero,with the iron mask on, this machine will do the work for you if you trust the machine, if the threshhold is unstable then just turn down the sensitivity a little bit at a time, this method worked for me so try and see if it works for you.  If your thinking of buying extra coils then buy coiltek coils, I bought butterfly coils and the round coils from the same company,dont  believe the all sales hype, I bought a total of 9 coils and i kept three of them and the were the coiltek coils, I gave the other coils away. they were not as sensitive as the three coiltek are and the depth was not as good. It cost me alot of money to get to the truth but this was the only way, Detecting and Don't under estimate the std 10" tornado coil, I found a 1 and a half inch toy soldier at a depth of 17" inches with the std 10" coil and the above settings.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18544.msg120799.html#msg120799

Offline mkiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:28:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for sharing your experience with me auminesweeper,
I needed to hear something like that, and 17 inches on a inch and a half toy soldier is impressive! I'll meet the guy selling the detector this coming Sunday and hopefully the detector will match his description. I will keep you posted and once again thank you for encouraging me!!
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18544.msg120810.html#msg120810

Offline mkiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:58:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

auminesweeper,
I met the guy and saw the detector. It looks almost new, he only used it once 2 years ago on some Florida beach. Since then it has been sitting in the closet. I already mention that I have zero experience with Sovereign GT so please have this in mind! I tried an air test and it got a quarter at about 4-5 inches. I am not sure if I adjusted it correctly or if the battery was fully charged but I was not impressed. We tried a test in the ground and it could not detect (or maybe it was us) the same quarter at 6-7 inches. Could that be a sign of a problem?
Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18544.msg121954.html#msg121954

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:12:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi mike yeah well done the sovereign or any multi-frequency machine DO NOT air test well,but even when the sensitivity is turned right down (thats when the sensitivty is turned to the right) because to the left it is at its max , they go very deep so just ignore any results of airtests. remember 0 - disc, O notch, volume against the stop at max because thats the secrete to getting the depth on those faint signals, then iorn mask on, run a quite threshold so it is just loud enough so it is smooth but so small items can break through the threshold sometimes on very deep targets all you will here is a rise in the threshold, start with the sens at 3:oclock and turn it to the left (higher) if  it is ok at 2' Oclock ,go to 1 oclock the at around 3 minates to 12 mine is at its max for the area were i found the toy soilder. if there is no iron in the ground sweep the coil over the ground slowly and increase the sens untill the threshold goes then turn it down a bit if your threshold goes it is either the sens is to high or you're sweeping too fast or there is iron in the ground, tosee if there is iron in the ground just turn to all metal and you will hear it for sure.the sovereign actualy makes 17 differant sounds, one for each frequency, just listern to a load of differant types of ring pulls or differant coins i also us grey ghost udt headphones which have a noise limiter to stop your ears gettin blasted off ya head because of running the volume at max on the detector you can just turn the head phones volume down a notch or to. any way try these settings and keep going as i said before i hated my machine when i first got i then i found these ansewers just by trying everything  and then it came alive and its never stoped since. all the best

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18544.msg125383.html#msg125383

Offline mkiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you auminesweeper, just to let you know that I ignored the air test and I bought the Sovereign GT and I love it! I haven't used it that much and I am still learning it but so far it is great. Learning from others experiences has helped me to adjust the knobs right and to get good results. When I was testing the detector in the beginning I guess the battery wasn't charged properly because right now I can get a quarter at about 10-12 inches in an air test. The DTI meter works great and it is really accurate, I can tell a pull tab 9 out of 10 times!!!
Thank you for your help and great advices! I'll keep you posted on my finds!

Posted on: November 10, 2010, 07:23:20 PM
auminesweeper, I forgot to ask what's the impedance of the headphones you are using with the Sovereign?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18544.msg125387.html#msg125387

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

yeah mike the thing about the headphones is that the sovereigns highest frequency audio output is about 600htz so the grey ghosts udts go way beyond this range at 3200htz and the sharpness will give you a more accurite tone like when you go over a ring pull or a silver coin,  the nugget busters are the same but with the built in noise limiter so you get an even sharper sound than the grey ghosts and are abit better at nugget hunting because of the sharpness but to save you'er ears go with the grey ghosts because when you hit a large item close to the coil or a large shallow target you'll bebcome wide awake. Also i never use the disc knob because ring pulls come up at the same meter reading as our henry 4th cut silver pennies that are about 750-800 years old so if you notch out ring pulls you would notch out  the silver pennies.  Aslo sorry for not getting back to you sooner but iv'e been worying away from home for the last three weeks, but while i was away i found a william III silver shilling from 1696 its very wirn but its stilla good find.

Posted on: November 10, 2010, 08:01:43 PM
the importance of the impedance of the head phones, is that thehigher the impedance the louder the signal will appear also the less power is required to drive the headphones therefore giving slightly longer battery life

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18544.msg125400.html#msg125400

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: