[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:46:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Investing part of my clad in US Mint coins will hopefully add value to my recently started coin collection. America the beautiful proof silver quarters are simply exquisite.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg126930.html#msg126930

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Grand Canyon.jpg
Hot Springs.jpg
Mount Hood.jpg
Unc Silver Quarter Obv.jpg
Yellowstone.jpg
Yosemite.jpg

Offline wolfy
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites DFX, M6
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:52:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats a good idea I just might do the same.  Cool
Wolfy
 Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg126932.html#msg126932

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Forget the US Mint coins.   There over priced from the get go.

By every Gram of gold you can with it.

Don't pay more then Spot and you will never be sorry.

If the Price goes down, your still ahead of what the Mint Coins are worth.

Sorry.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg126933.html#msg126933

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 09:11:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wolfy, starting a coin collection is a comon secondary hobby as a result of metal detecting. I became more interested in coin collecting than ever before when I found a few really nice old coins and learned about them and their history. If you are interested in coin collecting, first find out what kind of collector you will become for  there are a variety of motivations. Or perhaps, your motivations may change over time as you build up your collection and become more involved. However, don't limit your hobby to the US Mint and rather expand it to the 1000s of coin dealers and private collectors worldwide. With the Internet, it is easy to look over many of them, but of course be careful.  Great

Posted on: November 20, 2010, 08:45:25 AM

Homefire thanks for your opinion, although I respectfully disagree. If the US Mint was not a good place for purchasing coins, how do you explain that the Mint generated record sales in 2008 and are currently generating record sales in 2010 with their beautiful 2010 proof Silver Eagles? Millions of coin collectors around the globe purchase proof coins, bullions, and commemorative pieces from the US Mint. I doubt very much that coin dealers sell proof coins at prices lower than the Mint and making a profit.

Have you taken into consideration that there are different coin collectors and that not all invest in coins for their perceived future value? I bought proof coins from the Mint because they are special pieces that are beautifully designed and comparatively speaking, dealers would sell them at competitive prices, not cheaper. Silver coins are significantly more valuable than the circulating clad that we find. Plus, the pocket change clad that I find is just a way of getting my collectibe coins cheaper. I agree, however, that there are many other options for me as a hobbyist collector, just interested in collecting special coins. I recently bought three Morgan dollars, just because I wanted to have them in my growing collection. Mine cost me peanuts compare to the 1893-s Morgan that is selling for over $40,000. If I was in the coin investing business for a profit, I would strive for those rare coins, but I'm not, at least for now.

Homefire, my intention right now is not on the perceived or speculative value of the coins, but rather on owning a number of nice coins, using pocket change that relatively cost me nothing.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg127023.html#msg127023

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:24:21 am by Cyberborikua »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:47:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cool Bean!    I just have a different take on the stuff.

I can't see paying such a premium on Silver or Gold.

Crunch come to Crunch, there only worth the Content if the Chit hits the fan.

I see where your coming from, but I don't have alota faith in our government at this point and time.

With the Feds printing money as fast as they can, People are loosing faith in the O Mighty Dollar.

Prices are Going Rampid.     

Prices of Vegitables alone have gone up 62% over the past two month and it's nothing to do with Supply and Demand.

I really don't want to put my Beans in the assumtion that people are going to pay that Premium for collector coins.

As you said there haveing Record sales meaning there are going to be a pile of those coins out there and the price will fall.

LOL!

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg127027.html#msg127027
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/little_orange_guy_e0.gif

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:24:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Nice animated icon. Well, yeah you are right. Indeed, prices on goods are all relative. For example, sometimes we go to a fancy restaurant and pay premium for the same meal we could cook at home for a lot less.But we always derive a beneit for it, like service, a nice atmosphere, conversation, etc., and we just pay  Idiot

Hey, I just got a new MD, a Minelab Safari. Let's see how it helps me find more silver and gold!

Where is the best place (s) to buy/invest in gold stuff (besides a jewelry store that is)?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg127067.html#msg127067

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:16:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sometime's you can get lucky at thrift store's and garage sale's

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg127076.html#msg127076

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:24:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are right! I know a couple that are garage sale junkies and will go with them to see what I get. I used to go to thrift stores looking for treasures, but found that a lot of people are after the same thing. In fact, store owners know that and so they tag old items higher. Lots of good antique stores in Chicago as well. Thanks  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg127112.html#msg127112

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 03:54:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cyberborikua, if you're going to buy US Mint coins, the proof silvers are definitely the way to go (as opposed to the mint clads).   Of course with the mint coins, you're counting on the collector appeal to drive the price up.   That was clearly the case in the early state quarters, but doesn't seem to be carrying the same weight with either the territorial or the parks coins yet.   Diversification is always a wise investment strategy.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg127679.html#msg127679

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:15:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the advice. All the mint sets I have bought so far are the silver proof sets. My interest in coin collecting is more numismatic. However, because the collection will be passed on to my children, I have only been acquiring mint proof sets and certified coins in case they decide to sell them. Those that I find through detecting will remain as is, unless I hit a highly valuable ones, in which case I'll have them cleaned and certified as well.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19365.msg127723.html#msg127723

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: