[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 07:44:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by jimpeterson
I was in hardrock mining in Mexico, for many years

Very cool, Jim! I'm new to hard rock mining. As a rough gauge of viability for me, how many grams of Au per tonne was your break-even point?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37948.msg234397.html#msg234397

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline jimpetersonTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 08:52:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist...You had better be careful; you're going into something that's worse than drugs. When you get that gold fever, that becomes your whole life.
For years, I would go south, and play in the mines; go broke, and head north to work at a real job, just to get the money to head south, looking for the gold.
I never really made money in mining, till I got tired of going broke, and went to work for a company that had the money to do something. I tramped through the hills of Sinaloa and Durango, Mexico, for over 30 years. Seems like you have to go where they grow drugs to get to the gold locations. My wife is Mexican, and she told me a couple months ago, that I must be smarter than she thought, as I haven't been shot, and am still alive. She then changed her mind, and said that I must be just lucky.
I can give you a little information about mining, but you might be required to tell me about Malaysia. OK?
A lot depends on how much money you're willing to put into a mine. You can work a 1/2" vein, that is loaded with gold, or you might be comfortable to work a 3 meter wide vein, with lottsa equipment, that runs 2 grams a ton. Everything is dependant on each other; vein size, grams/ounces per ton, and how thick your wallet is, if you can buy the equipment or not that is needed. Do you have local help to work? If you do get the gold, can you be there to watch it, so nobody walks off with it.
I have never thought too many good things about detectors, until recently. But where they really shine, is finding placer gold. With placer, the golds already mined; all you have to do is dig it up, and separate it. The cheapest way to go. Also, you get to know your placers, and you can turn your whole life around with a couple shovels full of dirt that is loaded with gold.
The first thing you might want to look at, is: has there been gold found in your location? I've always heard, that you go were gold has been found.
Even as a hobby, you have a lotta studying to do, in finding your gold.
jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37948.msg234399.html#msg234399

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 10:17:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Jim, thank you for sharing.

You're absolutely right: placer deposits are way better. I found one very good deposit in the past, but the landowner reneged on our agreement. Since then I stick to public lands and rivers. Time and again my hobbies eventually lead to some kind of moneymaking venture, and that's when it stops being fun. You could say I'm teetering on the brink. Funding for a medium-scale mine is no problem but I've been asking myself for the past week if I want to be subjected to the usual headaches of a business, and in this case, to the inherent dangers. I've seen first-hand how people can change when they see gold. Maybe it's better for me to remain an obscure nobody hobbyist, and just enjoy the little bits of color I come across.

I've hijacked your thread enough. BTW, Whites used to sell re-branded Discovery 2 boxes till they started making their own. Hope you enjoy your TF900!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37948.msg234402.html#msg234402

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 08:32:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

When using the tf 900 you must ground balance it. Its a little better unit than a whites as have had both as have a whites at this time. I believe there is 2 modes on it a tr type where you must steady the detector when walking and a (motion) mode where it acts like a motion metal detector which is what you would normally run in.It won't find small stuff smaller than a pop can,but good for caches as I was a multiline dealer for 25 yrs and use it for finding sewer pipes and etc for people. If anyone in your area has any knowlege of detectors take it to them and thet could probably adjust it for you. just a thought.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37948.msg236664.html#msg236664

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: