[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline golddustcarlTopic starter
Silver Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you159

Activity
1%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 39.0.2171.59
Chrome 39.0.2171.59

Awards

NOKTA SIMPLEX+,Tesoro Vaquero, VibraProbe 580, Garrett Carrot, Garrett Master Hunter ADSIII
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lets talk batteries. Who wants to go first?

Dusty Carl

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288807.html#msg288807

A bad day at gold prospecting or metal detecting is better than a good day at work.

GOLDDUST CARL

Marked as best answer by golddustcarl January 03, 2015, 03:42:40 pm
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:31:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tell us about what has worked and what has NOT work for detecting or any other aspect of you life. To get the ball rolling Here I go.   Being part Turtle, Dinosaur and Kelp I've used a pile of batteries. First battery I was introduced to was the    Dry cell.   1.5Vdc little taller then a coke can and a bit smaller around.    I had them for my Radio's. My model Plane Glow Plug..And  a few research projects you don't need to know about at this time. Them dang Lead/ Zinc batteries would give you grief all the time.  Dry out!   Explode if let to age or freeze did it every time. Then they came the PB or Lead Batteries small  enough to use in stuff. Cool.  Now all you had to do was carry them Upright all the time.  Charge before less then 40% depleted and they would last for almost ever. Then they sealed them up and no more spill.  They did vent the Sulphuric acid  out this itty bitty hole that could mess up you and your stuff.   uu Then came this WONDER BATTERY!   Tooooooo  Daaaaaaaaa!     The Nickel Cadmium Sulfide cell.   Those puppies would take well over 1000 charges if you ran them all the way down before recharging.     Much to learn here.  Tired and nap time.   Like most things, technology does a double back on it's self some time .   Li Ion Batteries are supper light and good for supper things if you want to chance fires, Explosions and stuff.    They won't last you peanuts time if you charge them here in the Desert while it's 90F or more.     There I started now carry on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288819.html#msg288819

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:33:15 pm by homefire »
Silver Member

Happy

Thank you159

Activity
1%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 39.0.2171.59
Chrome 39.0.2171.59

Awards

NOKTA SIMPLEX+,Tesoro Vaquero, VibraProbe 580, Garrett Carrot, Garrett Master Hunter ADSIII
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:52:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great memories Homie. For awhile there I gone back to my youger years. Something I do know about batteries, is that when they are in your equipment, when the weather is very hot or very cold, do not turn on the equipment. Remove the batteries and either cool them down or warm them up to about 80 degrees F before putting them back in and operating the equipment. Car batteries don't have to be treated as gentle, but regular and alkaline batteries do. At higher or lwer temps, your equipment will suck more juice out of them at startup than normal, and reduce
Battery charge faster.

Dusty Carl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288824.html#msg288824

A bad day at gold prospecting or metal detecting is better than a good day at work.

GOLDDUST CARL

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:04:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well as being discussed on many forums the Whites TDI SL is A Marvel of modern Electronic, But A few Owners have started asking questions about the Battery system and the NIMH pack gives you about 2200mah and the Voltage is around 11.29 when taken off the charger and about 11.2 after an hours rest, Where as the TDI Pro uses A 14.4 Volt Lion Battery which give the TDI Pro a Little more Depth and lasts all Day.

Where As with the TDI SL has a Battery Voltage of 11.2 v it looses A Little Depth compared to the TDI Pro because The TDI SL Has Noise Reduction Filters that also Take A Little bit more Power away, and although the Difference is around about an inch +/- where the TDI SL suffers is that the Batteries are said to Last 5 or 6 hours but some claim 4 to 5 hours,
R&B make a 2900mah lion pack for it which is good but as of yet there have been no tests been fully published to Date,

I have some AA's rated at 2600 or 2650mah and at 1.38 volts X 8 =11.04 volts, But I have seen a mod that by using 9 of them will give me 12.42 volts which is good because that will put back the power lost TO the Noise Filters,
Here's what makes the TDI SL special is that you can use it in Town or under Over head wires or near Towers and electric fences Due To EMI, Where as the TDI Pro Struggles a Little bit and the GPX5000 Is Next to Useless and at 4 X the price of the TDI SI Makes it Not A Viable Machine to Buy because it Looses Depth because you have to Turn the Gain Way Way Down in Order to get it to Run Smooth.

Anyway Back to the SL Once the Voltage is restored back up to around 12 Volts it is All But Equal to the TDI Pro and the More voltage  you can put Back the Better Along with increasing the Run Time. anyway that's The thing I am working on At Pressent.

RR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288828.html#msg288828

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:20:08 pm by Ridge Runner »
Silver Member

Happy

Thank you159

Activity
1%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 39.0.2171.59
Chrome 39.0.2171.59

Awards

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:33:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't have any of those machines, so you will have to keep us posted with your further research. Looks like you have done quite a bit already. By the way, (not knowing about your background) do you have access to a dvm? If you do and know how to use it, take a current ( not voltage) reading of the current that the detector uses when it is on and tuned in. This will help greatly in determining battery selection.

Dusty Carl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288829.html#msg288829

GOLDDUST CARL

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 11:41:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by golddustcarl
I don't have any of those machines, so you will have to keep us posted with your further research. Looks like you have done quite a bit already. By the way, (not knowing about your background) do you have access to a dvm? If you do and know how to use it, take a current ( not voltage) reading of the current that the detector uses when it is on and tuned in. This will help greatly in determining battery selection.

Dusty Carl

I Own the Top of the Range Fluke 189 which they have replace with the Newer Fluke 289, Basically the Same DMR, It has A 5 digit Read Out and it is Accurite to 0.0001 volts, The Current Draw According to Whites is 0.460mah and the Factory NiMh pack is 2200mah and I have some Energizer NiMh AA's that are 2650mah and that works out to 5.76 Hours.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288830.html#msg288830

Silver Member

Happy

Thank you159

Activity
1%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 39.0.2171.59
Chrome 39.0.2171.59

Awards

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 12:07:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nice equipment there RR. I am jealous. You are using the manufactures mah draw which is not a direct indication of current draw as mah is a value the battery companies use to determine useful life a battery, and 1 mah is how long a battery would take to drop to 70% of voltage rating drawing 1ma. Suppose you had a piece of equipment that could work efficently down to 60% of full charge. To get a more accurate value for the specific machine you are using, a current reading (and a little math) could provide you with more accurate information. What do you think?

Dusty Carl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288842.html#msg288842

GOLDDUST CARL

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 12:18:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by golddustcarl
Nice equipment there RR. I am jealous. You are using the manufactures mah draw which is not a direct indication of current draw as mah is a value the battery companies use to determine useful life a battery, and 1 mah is how long a battery would take to drop to 70% of voltage rating drawing 1ma. Suppose you had a piece of equipment that could work efficently down to 60% of full charge. To get a more accurate value for the specific machine you are using, a current reading (and a little math) could provide you with more accurate information. What do you think?

Dusty Carl

Well because of the battery system it uses I have no way of getting the probes down to the Contacts until I modify one of the Dry Cell packs, The Voltage is unregulated with a max of some say 16 volts Reg Sniff of late has been quoting 18 volts and he is the person who has been doing a lot of research on the TDI's,

The Warning Light is supposed to come on at 8.7 Volts

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288843.html#msg288843

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Safari 4.0
Safari 4.0

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 12:28:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

There's a you tube video out on fires started by 9 volt batteries also.

i think Homie posted it a while back. 

It would be great for this thread.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288845.html#msg288845

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 34.0
Firefox 34.0

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 09:06:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

I need to hear more about why a lithium battery craps out when charged @ 90 degree f or above. I use a lot of them in my work and they aren't cheap.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59424.msg288853.html#msg288853

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: