[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Doesn't everything fall off your bench that way?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61067.html#msg61067

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Sov535
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

1201.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sovereign, Whites 6000/DI Pro, Whites Surfmaster Plus
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 01:25:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Pretty much.  I try to use Gorilla Glue...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61099.html#msg61099

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 02:20:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Living in Australia, we all have to wear Velcro(tm) on our shoes to keep from falling off the earth down here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61100.html#msg61100

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bludgerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

soveriegn pro, homebrew goldseeker PI
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 02:42:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi again Sov.

Sorry hav'nt replied sooner.
Did reply to you in length with the photo's i posted but lost it all, ended up with those duplicated photo's posted instead No no!.
Basically was about the small hoard you found, must have been a lot of stoppages on that short walk.
You into ham radio too, can see the transcievers there  Great
Full on bench set up  Shocked nice, have had a reasonable set of new and salvaged parts and bought and built equipment myself over the years, but become disenchanted at times and get rid of things.
If i need a part occasionally now i usually buy it because it usually is readily cheaply available here.
From all the excellent information you've posted i'm sure there's a reasonable chance of a successful repair soon
and thank you for the very kind offer of sending parts or fixing it over there if i ca'nt do it here.
For now i'll look around the area of the board you mentioned, when i get the time, I hope this has'nt put you out too much and i hav'nt got bored with the repair myself at all, but can understand if this thread is getting worn too thin now and can contact you more directly on the email if thats ok.
From the power supply you put together, pretty much proves like you said it was an ok for its time, so might be better to change it out for regulators, i wouldn't mind the split battery system, good idea i reckon, if there's only an uneven draw to worry about. Like the coffee cup in your photo, by the way, very colourful,
For now Detecting i'll just put the Mark Stuart PI back together, have recently consolidated the enclosure and got the laptop cells ready for the waist pack and bungy cord lead.
Like to says thanks too,to the others contributing on this thread that i hav'nt been able to reply to due to too many comitments at present, in between play fighting with my 3 young boys and taking on a new aspect of business installing solar panels.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61156.html#msg61156

Offline Sov535
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

1201.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 10:19:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bludger,
Keep in touch on email, I would like to hear that you have had a successful repair!

The final thought I will leave you with before ending this post is that if you bypass the regulator with + & - 5V with a common connection to the capacitor center tap, you should see around 55-60 milliamps of current drain (total for both supplies). That will tell you that the load is OK. This supply could be difficult to troubleshoot if you have issues with too light or too heavy of a load on it. If you question the load you can always lift the 4 filter inductors and use 100 ohms across the +5V and 200 ohms across the -5V as I did on my breadboard. Then you can troubleshoot the supply isolated from the load.

As for my efforts, I am thinking of developing and trying out an improved supply for my Sovereigns so it was a stepping stone for the development.

I hope this helps!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61233.html#msg61233

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 05:58:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Why is that when you post a file the site does'nt reckonise or try and drag and drop you can lose an hour's worth of post  Angry
Clapp Fixed detector by the way Thanks Frank will put another post together in a few hours, hope to not loose it again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61324.html#msg61324

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 07:27:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bludger
Why is that when you post a file the site does'nt reckonise or try and drag and drop you can lose an hour's worth of post  Angry
Clapp Fixed detector by the way Thanks Frank will put another post together in a few hours, hope to not loose it again.

Clarify your question please and someone here may be able to answer. Files work fine unless they are too big (over 1000k). Then they are posted as zero length. Is that what happened?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61337.html#msg61337

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 02:48:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

No GD 2 files posted were less than that about 200k though 1 was a WMA file of the sov tones, as soon as i tried to pop it into the post bye bye an hour long post No no!. The other day i tried to drag and drop a photo same deal, lot of wasted time  Thumbs Down.
Oh well hope this one goes ok.
Managed to get the detector fixed, the simplest fault causing the drama. No fuse protection to the reversal diode.
The other day I tested the +12V, from the battery connector on the small front panel board which runs through the volume/on/off switch and ribbon cable to the main board. I noticed it was a few ohms between these points which was varying slightly didnt think too much about it as the boards are very highly lacquered to protect them.
I did try to get the pcb off the front panel but nearly cracked the pcb so gave up, had another go today phew!!
success the pot spindle holes are tight as, prised it off, blown track (mixed emoticon) embarrasment,happy, wiser.
Photo of area enclosed.
Sov the supply like you have painstakingly proved, could probably quite easily be modernised with regulators or a simple small switchmode and fuse protection to build out design faults and might be a good mod for anyone playing with supply alternatives.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61364.html#msg61364

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

pics 006.jpg

Offline Sov535
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

1201.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 03:34:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great to hear that you got the supply repaired!  Smiley

Aside from the issue with the trace, the MOSFET was the failed part, correct? Was this Q7 on your board, did you need to reorient the part or was the pinout the same as the original part?

Do you have the original part marking and the replacement number? I would like to add the info to my schematic, then I will repost the lastest schematic with all the notes to share with anyone interested. Teach

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61417.html#msg61417

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 03:36:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Sov, no the fault was just the track hence the Embarrassed ,feeling small, sorry, simple but difficult to get to and probably a path through low impedance in an inductor through me,rest of the circuitry now seems to be fully functional, all up and running, suggest sovereign's with this reversal diode for crowbar protection should have a simple fuse backing it, standard electronics, especially for those playing with alternative supplies, like me  No no!
Do you think your issue that damaged yours might have been overvoltage Sov?
If you need the part numbers and id numbers for that area you were referring to i can get some more detail for you ?

The Q7 is a BS170 should just be able to see the board marking in the jpg 12
and U2 looks like TLD62CP cant find data must be a TLO62CP.

U24 sorry not U2

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61604.html#msg61604

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: