[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Mike95innjTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:25:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

I added external Pots for the ground balance and threshold volume. I've never tried anything like this before but said what the hell. I used this classic II for 14 yrs. I've since sold it but wish I did'nt.
Take care, Mike

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8059.msg50465.html#msg50465

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Offline JDL
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow X5
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello interesting seems to be easy enough if you are brave enough looking forward too your next mod as I have a X5 like you. Yours John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8059.msg50477.html#msg50477

Offline Mike95innjTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 01:41:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi John. I don't want to mess with the X5. I also have a Minelab musketeer that I would like to put a coincheck button on similiar to the Shadow X2. Just don't know enough about it. I have'nt been able to find anything on it. I modded it so I could mount the control housing under the armrest and added a velcro strap to the cup. Here's a few pics of it. BTW, I just joined these forums and find them very interesting.
Take care, Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8059.msg50482.html#msg50482

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

mod1.jpg
mod2.jpg
mod3.jpg
mod4.jpg
mod5.jpg

Offline JDL
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow X5
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:48:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Smiley well you are in the right place ask the question and if anyone knows how they will tell you one of the most helpfull forums you could wish to find  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8059.msg50483.html#msg50483

Offline Melbeta
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 03:21:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I enjoyed the modification to the Classic II detector. I was a Whites dealer years ago, while Ken White was still alive. He was a really great guy. I had a customer, who brought me one of the older machines, and wanted to know if it could be modified to work better finding gold nuggets. So I contacted Ken White, with this customers concerns.

Well Ken responded nicely and quickly. Keep that in mind. He offered to modify it, from a stem mount, into a body mount, and update it for the customer, to the last modified update of the machine, and plus tweak it a bit to make it more enhanced for finding gold nuggets. So I do not know exactly what Whites Electronics did, but when it came back, it was only around $30 or so, maybe a bit more, and he took it out the shop. He used a few years, and was pleased with it.

So when he was ready for a newer machine, back he came again, and traded it in on a newer machine. Later I sold it to a guy who was retired from UPS, who wanted it to look for gold nuggets too. Have not heard back from him yet, but I guess he must have liked it, or he would have come back in complaining to me...

So it pays to ask the manufacturers, every now and then, if they can modify something to work better. Once I ask Charlie Garrett and George Payne, what to do, and how to do it, to enhance a detector and make it souped up a bit.

Charles Garrett said that his company could not do it, but an individual customer could. Mfgs were radio frequency devices, and thus they were regulated by the FCC, and had to keep working under those machines. Seems they had some kind of power restrictions, had to have them to prevent signal leakage from escaping beyond a certain limit of control. Seems to me, it was something back then, to around 100 feet or so, they could not pick up the signal leakage beyond the 100 feet limit. I think it was 100 feet, my memory is not as sharp as then.

Anyway Charles Garrett said that all manfacturers could do, was enhance a machine, to look better, and respond better, kind of superficial things is what I understood. Like the meter face to look better, sound a bit better, things like that. This was before the newer programmable chips, which changed things too.

an individual customer could work with three ways to soup it up, or make it work better.

The first was to put a bit more of the battery power into the transmit circuit sections, not overwhelm them, but to play with the resistors off of the transistor amplifiers that governed the output of the transmit circuits. Then do the same thing on the receive circuits. Thus you would be putting more voltage into the coils, both Tx and Rx coil sections.

Then another way, was to intercept the coil wires, like some guys were doing, and selling a box, that fix between the Tx and Rx wires on the coil, and had a extra battery inside the box. I did not know exactly what or how it was done, but that the same procedure as above, was being done, the extra battery was putting extra voltage, or extra power, into both circuits, via an plug in box to the coil.

Then the last way, was to take the audio output, that comes to the speaker, and/or the earphone plug. Enhance the audio sound, so that faint sounds, sounded louder, but still cutting down on the surface sounds, not to enhance them, as you could blow the ear drums that way. Sound amplifier circuits, could be placed inside a plastic box, say between the earphone plug, and it would enhance faint sounds, and cut down the sounds of surface targets. I have one of those, as I am very hard of hearing and at one time, it gave me an advantage over the next guy searching near to me, as I found targets his machine could not hear. He began to stand next to me, and when I hit a target, he would use his machine to try it on the targets. I can tell you he was a bit miffed, when he could not pick up the target, and I pulled an older coin out of the ground. But today, I have no advantage, as I have bad hearing, and all it does, is enable me to hear better than I could if I did not have the unit...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8059.msg64201.html#msg64201

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: