[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Jimbo99Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:18:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gidday!  Could use your help.  I'm trying to repair a Coinmaster 6000/D unit for an owner.
I have already had a schematic from member Gold Digger (Thanks again).
The owner told me that someone else had a look at it last year and I am suspicious that the battery wiring is soldered to the wrong PCB edge connector contacts.
So, with both packs (12 and 9v) connected, the meter only responds to the 12v battery test.  When the 9volt test is selected, the meter moves in the negative direction. (wrong!)
If I disconnect the 9 volt pack and try again, exactly the same thing happens.
I need an owner to describe what he sees as the correct connection on a known working unit.
I have removed 9 screws, removed the battery tray and have the detector 'upside down' with a clear view of the solder side of the printed circuit board. (see photo attached).
The 2 battery snaps are wired to (and soldered) to a PCB edge connector on the LHS (in this upside-down view)
There are 6 solder points on this upper-side and a complementary 6 points directly underneath (on the component side of the PCB). If we say that left-to-right is points 1 to 6 then
My black "9volt" Battery snap has it's red/black positive wire soldered to the point 1 on the underside but it's negative black wire to the upper-side on point 4.
My White "12volt" Battery snap has it's red/black positive wire soldered to the point 2 on the underside but it's negative black wire to the upper-side on point 3.
The 2 negative wires are, consequently, joined together by the PCB .  This does not seem correct when studying the schematic.  Your help would be appreciated.
Regards, Jimbo.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46271.msg252807.html#msg252807

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

6000D-edge.jpg

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:15:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Can only be one of two things.

The Wires are Reversed or The Wires are Reversed!

That being said some damage may have taken place as some IC's Op Amps do not like Reversed Voltages.

Crumy Photo but that solder job looks more then Dodgy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46271.msg252852.html#msg252852

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

6000BatteryCapture.jpg

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:20:45 pm by homefire »
Offline Jimbo99Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well I don't think the 12 volt pack would have given a positive (correct) deflection on the 12v battery check if it were reversed.
I am very concerned that reverse polarity may have already occurred (from the 9v. pack) but until I know the correct wiring of batteries in a working unit, I don't want to risk applying a reverse polarity myself!
This is the very reason I have made the post.  I want to be Irish !  To be sure to be sure!   
It would also give me a bit more confidence that the schematic references to the connector numbering plan is matching what I think is the physical layout on the PCB.
Please help in preventing smoke from coming out!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46271.msg252890.html#msg252890

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: