[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SvenS
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro, Detectorpro, Mirage PI (my own)
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 06:57:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Bugar
Allright  Eugene52=Your'e the MAN, have talked to some headphone folk, asked this question=they don't have a clue it seems, different detectors put out different volumes/decibles/sounds, thru the headphones=OK= what i would like to know IS there a way that a device can be made to fit between the headphone jack, or at the jack, (somewhere) that can make the headphone output be adjusted like in BASS or TREBLE, like a radio, I would think this would be readily accepted as some detectors, and some headphones are, tinny-some blarey- some just plain tacky sounding, something that a user could make it more plesant to use and customize the sound to their hearing an be more tolerable- Thank You-Bugar's Inquiring mind Detecting

I have purchased one of the original RATPHONES VTF headphones made by DetectUSA. They were short lived, not a lot of interest.
I did contact Rick back in 2005 asking him about a variable tone control. He just happened to build a set bought it and gave it a test run. It worked perfect on my Garretts, White's MXT, Tesoros and Minelab Musketeer. I finally could adjust the miserable tone of the MXT into a pleasant sound. Anyways, not much interest in them, so he stopped making them. Shame I sold my set years ago without looking inside at the guts. I ave contacted Rick last year inquiring about possibly getting another set, he emailed back "...why would you even want them...", no response from him after that. Recently tried getting touch with him asking about them again and possible give me an idea on how to make the tone control. No response back. Have noticed he no longer has his Ratphones DetectUSA website up. It has turned into his personal homepage. He's been an electronics tech, produced records and is a musician. Looks like he new his stuff and tried giving detectorists headphones that were superior to the rest on the market. Too bad detectorists did not take advantage of his products to keep him in business.

At any rate, I have done lots of research over the last several months and believe I just about came up with a working model of a tone control could be passive or active. Also, if active would  employ an amp to increase small sounds and with high volume limiters.
Everything is still on the drawing board. I already built a working headset with soft limiters.......It's a learning process as I am not a professional electronics person.

So I have a bunch of ideas and have parts to make two more headphones. Over the next few winter months will try to come up with something. Finding electronic parts locally in Canada is a real pain, if you can....basically have to order everything from the US.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3577.msg53179.html#msg53179

FREE Classic & Vintage Detector Catalog Downloads
Plus a whole lot more. Build my own PI's.

Please Register or Login

www.treasurelinx.com

Offline SvenS
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro, Detectorpro, Mirage PI (my own)
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 07:05:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here's one of DETECTUSA original posting from 2005 which maybe of interest:
========================================================
It is finally here! Headphones that can change the tone frequency on your machine!

RaTPhones VTF (Variable Tone Frequency) can actually vary the tone of your metal detector to your liking. What is more incredible is that they do this with no battery.

You heard right, NO BATTERY! The energy already present in the machine output is used to power the circuitry. We use advanced components that did not even exist a few years ago and have taken advantage of new technology to achieve this amazing feat.

Detect USA has done it again with innovative ideas that have never been done before.

RaTPhones VTF are in limited production, but we could not wait to make the announcement and welcome you to email us about this exciting new product.

Will they replace your regular RaTPhones? Are they for everyone?

No.

Most machines are fine the way they are, plus RaTPhones VTF work best on machines that do not have modulated audio, that is, if your machine has low volume audio for deep targets, you will hear the regular tone of your machine for those deep targets at a lower volume than you are used to. Medium to shallow targets will have the new tone that you have selected. You can use the RatPhones VTF to zero in on the medium to shallow targets to cherry pick. On machines without modulated audio, all depths will have the same volume as usual, but now you can change the tone.

Were you ever on an early morning hunt and find yourself not paying attention to your tones? Well, dial in a different frequency and your ears will perk right up!

RaTPhones VTF can be just what you have been looking for. Love your machine but don?t like the sound? Get a pair of RatPhones VTF and change it.

RatPhones VTF look exactly the same as Regular RaTPhones that are becoming quite popular and are getting great reviews. The VFT use the same speakers, muffs and innovative replaceable cord. The VTF have two controls. One is for volume and the other for frequency that can be varied between 200 and 1100 Hz.

Again, we are in very limited production and would like to hear from you.

Rick Viola

Detect USA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3577.msg53180.html#msg53180

FREE Classic & Vintage Detector Catalog Downloads
Plus a whole lot more. Build my own PI's.

Please Register or Login

www.treasurelinx.com

Offline solmer
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Spain

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer XS, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites SurfMaster PI, GoldPic III PI, DeltaPulse 2,
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 03:45:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

My setup is a Logitech Free Pulse Bluetooth headphones with a koss eq (I like to change audio response using a Koss EQ unit) Logitech Free Pulse headphones are a very light unit, even in the hot summer is a pleasure to my ears, they let me dig in the ground without any cords. If you use a Bluetooth unit you'll find that the target sounds an inch or two away from the real location, this is due audio lag, but is quite simple to locate and pinpointing the target with some practice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3577.msg61106.html#msg61106

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Logitech FreePulse Wireless_1.jpg
kossEQ50.jpg

Good Luck and happy Finds !!!

Offline peabody
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GM V/Sat
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 06:42:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

While I cant say anything about a tone control, I did build a volume limiter for my Whites Gold Master VSAT based on circuit designs at the following website:

Please Register or Login

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/limiter_prj.htm
(reference Figure 1, less the volume and limit adjust pots).
I dont have a schematic of my end product.  But the circuit is very simple.  Each signal lead from the detector feeds into a 470 ohm resistor (two resistors total to keep the right and left audio signals separate.  Correlates with R1 in the figure referenced).  The signal then goes from the resistor to the output jack, with 2 x 1N4148 diodes - one forward, one reverse connected to ground (D1 & D2 in Figure 1 - the lowest threshold voltage diodes I had in my hobby stock).  It works really well and induced no noticeable loss of sensitivity.  But it does save my ears!!!  Shocked  I hope that makes sense...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3577.msg61200.html#msg61200

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:47:48 pm by peabody »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: