[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline PantherTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

chemelec
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:08:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank to you all who have helped me in this last day or so.
In 1980  in Wireless World Corbyn described a pulse induction detector with what he called a "sum of exponentials eliminator". This consisted of two RC exponential circuits which could be adjusted to match the response of two different iron oxides in the search ground and  these could then be  used to subtract  from the received response.
Has anyone or  any manufacturer been successful in incorporating this technique into a modern PI detector?
If this technique works it would  seem to be more useful than having two DD type coils for search heads which seem to lack sensitivity.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258193.html#msg258193

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:24:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Panther

Do you still have this article?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258207.html#msg258207

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

chemelec
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:04:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for your interest Xavier,
There is a list of all sorts of metal detectors on a Geotech site which I could not pretend yet to be able to give you a link to but it has well known magazine projects from the past listed with  downloadable pdf s for the blurb and PC s.
There is a category for PI and there are two articles there  on two consecutive  issues of Wireless World . I usually find the site by Googling metal detector PI, Geotech and Corbyn.
The relevant part of the circuit is figure 9 and  is shown on page 43 of the magazine in the first article. I have my doubts about the efficacy of the circuit because the time constants seem extraordinarily long by modern standards because I think he was over ambitiously hunting big nuggets.
If the the articles cannot be found I can send some scans of a printed version.
Again thank you and good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258208.html#msg258208

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:36:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Corbyn used a written construct to define an analog feature that is well known and incorporated into every PI detector ever made. Before the days of digital computers, the work was done using analog computers and the operational amplifiers, comparators and phase shifters in combination are what gets us the basic output. This is why even today adding a digital signal analysis is both difficult and considered a waste ot time and effort. The PI machine detects metals and does it well. It can be designed to ignore metal oxides in the ground and that is what he is talking about. The fact that we don't need a ground balance circuit is a key characteristic of a PI machine.

Today, instead of using discrete components for the design, we use high efficiency comparators to locate metal objects based on the residual eddy currents on the surface or the interior of metal objects in the ground. The level of hysteresis in the metal oxides is so very low that it can easily be ignored while allowing the ferrous and non-ferrous metals to be sensed based on the residual magnetic fields that remain after the TX pulse dies down. Those extremely tiny signals are amplified as much as 500,000 times in several stages, compared to the original pulse and the result is that beep you hear indicating that metal is present.

Posted on: May 13, 2013, 02:35:36 PM
Quote:Posted by Panther
Has anyone or  any manufacturer been successful in incorporating this technique into a modern PI detector?

Yes. All of them. The PI detector counts on it. See the above explanation.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258211.html#msg258211

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

chemelec
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:18:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD,
Thank you for your response.
I have just been reading for example the circuit description of the Hammerhead metal detector and I can find nothing in it which refers to  mitigating the effect of mineralised ground.
I am not a very experienced hunter but a few weeks back my otherwise  very sensitive kit form metal detector failed miserably at a quartz outcrop which had reddish soil to the extent that my grandchildren were desperately picking up large pieces of quartz and scanning them in the air. The alternative apparently is to have a set of DD coils to eliminate this iron oxide effect which some seem to call " ground effect". Are there  commercial metal detectors
which employ methods other than DD coils to eliminate this effect?

The modern day equivalent of his "sum of exponentials eliminator " if indeed the problem is caused by at least one exponential response not easily separated from a legitimate target would be  digitizing of the received signal and apply some quick numerical methods toward analyzing  this  into its exponential components.

The problem I am talking about is the apparent failure of PI detectors in mineralized ground unless they are equipped with DD coils which apparently cancel each others mineralized effect out.
Again thank you for your help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258213.html#msg258213

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

First of all, a DD coil is for separate TX and RX coils, not for a PI machine which uses the same coil for both functions. Secondly, if your PI failed in mineralized soil, then there was more to the story or the kit was built wrong. Sometimes there is metal there when you don't even know it. Carborundum, for example, does not look like metal but your PI machine correctly identifies it as such.

I'm really not sure you got what I was saying. His words are old fashioned words used to describe circuitry which was new and innovative at the time. We have different ways to describe it now but the function is the same. Stop quoting it back as if it were a magic spell. It's not. ALL operational amplifiers are capable of exponential differentiation. ALL of them. Digitizing the received signal is pointless because, unlike VLF/TR signals, they are not different enough to analyze. You get a beep. That's it. In the attempts that people have made to incorporate discrimination, every time they insert a marker in the TX signal that, if properly timed (as a function of quiescent time versus time it was received) can be loosely interpreted as defining the type of metal. Not much more than that, I'm afraid.

On to the mineralization issue now. Ground balance and mineralization are not the same. You can ground balance but not eliminate minerals from detection. Black sand is a mineral collection of iron oxides - not the red oxides. Sometimes, black sand is actually carborundum which cannot be eliminated. Rust in quartz probably wasn't the issue where you had your failure. Most likely it was jasper or hematite mixed in with the quartz. Both of them can foul up the best detector in the right quantity.

Ground balance issues in a real situation are more likely to be caused by water, rotting vegetation, root masses, grasses or combinations of all these things. Most mineralization which people believe they are eliminating is actually organic rather than metallic.

To answer your question more to the use of a machine, turn down your sensitivity. It will not affect your depth one iota, contrary to popular belief. It affects only your audio development inside of your machine. Turn it down by half at first. Then go back up or down until you reach a good balance point. As to your quartz, I sure hope you didn't toss some foil gold out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258214.html#msg258214

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

chemelec
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:07:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

The quartz is still there on a family farm and it is known to have an amount which  is uneconomical to extract by crushing .
I think I know of machineswhich use two adjacent rather than concentric coilsconnected to cancel each others respose
and rely on the fact the target may be closer to one rather than the other.
Have other people any thoughts on the subject?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258216.html#msg258216

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:18:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

We've had discussions here about a DD coil but the end result is not a DOUBLE D but a folded figure 8 instead. One coil, twisted into an 8 shape and then made into an overlapping set of ovals.

The results were far less than good.

You seem to have this notion in your head so pursue it. Don't take this design engineer's word for it. Go and try it on for size. I'll be right here cheering you on to success. Seriously. Just because I've never gotten it to work doesn't mean I'd be excited if someone else did it. When I rain a little on your parade here, it's only to describe what I KNOW, not what I wish for.

My last failed experiment? A monopulse PI coil arrangement. DISMAL is not a strong enough word to describe my results. Even with a 60Mhz processor clock, the coil would be too far past the target to do any good even on a super slow sweep rate. That idea? Tossed out with Saturday's garbage. I saved the wire though. Copper, don't you know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258217.html#msg258217

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

chemelec
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD
Are you saying that iron  oxides  in the soil do or do not affect PI
machines?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258218.html#msg258218

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:54:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

PI detectors work just fine with a Single mono Coil.

Yes Enough Iron Oxide will effect a PI.

Just ask the kind folks in Australia.   LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47038.msg258219.html#msg258219

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: