[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline FlowerOfTheSeaTopic starter
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:21:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My coil on my Garrett ADS III has a large split or crack on top. I air tested it and the deepest it would pick up a 7.5 gram gold ring was 1 1/2 inches. Are there modern coils I could buy for it that would put it back in the 6-8 inch range on the ring like it used to have? Ideally want a waterproof coil to salt water beach hunt and also, nugget hunt. I checked with Kellyco and they said they don't have coils for it. I figured any would fit, but, don't really know squat about anything. If I get a coil, I am going to start detecting again after many year layoff.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg251922.html#msg251922

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:41:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That machine is a 5.5Khz Machine.  Not so Hot on Gold, but it should be doing better then that.

Was that in all Metal?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg251923.html#msg251923

Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:58:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
That machine is a 5.5Khz Machine.  Not so Hot on Gold, but it should be doing better then that.

Was that in all Metal?

Thanks for your quick response, homefire.+

That was on all settings the machine has, sensitivity all the way up, all the way down, same with discriminate. A modern quarter goes to about 3" with no difference in any settings. I am hoping it is just the coil's crack messing it up. I tried it on tr and vlf on all settings. It used to reach at least 6-8 inches on coins.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg251926.html#msg251926

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:00:50 pm by FlowerOfTheSea »
Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

These coils show up frequently on an electronic auction sight that I will not name here. I do have a functional 10.5" for your machine that I could be persuaded to part with, but the 6.5" is much handier to work with.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg251927.html#msg251927

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, that is really cool. How do I go about relieving you of that big coil, poptop. I have been looking on some auction sites, but, with my limited knowledge, if they don't specifically say for my machine, I won't buy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg252001.html#msg252001

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The ADSIII is a 5.5 khz machine with 4 pin plug. there are other ads coils that have 5 pin that will work after modification. The coil I have came with my ADSIII that I have since sold, after losing a job. lots of sorrow there, but I kept the big coil and it does work fine. It will take me a little time to get a picture posted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg252008.html#msg252008

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by FlowerOfTheSea
My coil on my Garrett ADS III has a large split or crack on top.

After reading your post, here is what I recommend. If you have a gas oven with a pilot light, put the coil in the oven for a couple of days to dry it out. If you have a gas or electric without a pilot light, put a large candle in the oven in a bowl along with your coil. Keep relighting the candle or replacing it for a couple of days. If your oven is airtight, you may have to crack the door with a toothpick or match stick. Don't open it too much.

After you do that, put the coil into a plastic Tupperware style of container that fits it and can be closed tightly. Cover the entire coil with uncooked rice. The cheap kind because you'll be throwing it away later. Give it another two days time in the rice.

Then seal the crack with a mixture of epoxy and sheet fiberglass. You can get fiberglass sheet from any hobby shop that sells radio control cars or planes. They use it for repairing the car bodies or airplane wings after a crash.

That should bring your coil back to normal operation. Really. It will. I promise.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg252014.html#msg252014

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:54:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
After reading your post, here is what I recommend. If you have a gas oven with a pilot light, put the coil in the oven for a couple of days to dry it out. If you have a gas or electric without a pilot light, put a large candle in the oven in a bowl along with your coil. Keep relighting the candle or replacing it for a couple of days. If your oven is airtight, you may have to crack the door with a toothpick or match stick. Don't open it too much.

After you do that, put the coil into a plastic Tupperware style of container that fits it and can be closed tightly. Cover the entire coil with uncooked rice. The cheap kind because you'll be throwing it away later. Give it another two days time in the rice.

Then seal the crack with a mixture of epoxy and sheet fiberglass. You can get fiberglass sheet from any hobby shop that sells radio control cars or planes.

Hmmm, great tip GD, I am definitely going to try that. Thanks for the clever idea.

Quote:Posted by poptop
The ADSIII is a 5.5 khz machine with 4 pin plug. there are other ads coils that have 5 pin that will work after modification. The coil I have came with my ADSIII that I have since sold, after losing a job. lots of sorrow there, but I kept the big coil and it does work fine. It will take me a little time to get a picture posted.

No need to bother on the photos poptop, just tell me how to pay you for it. Surely could use a larger coil in addition to mine.

Sorry about the delay in my response, I have been storage unit hunting,lol. No luck yet. Also, had a few too many and bought me a Garrett Sea Hunter, slightly used. As soon as it gets here I am headed to Galveston beach.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46162.msg252373.html#msg252373

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: