[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline budlangTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Tesoro Lobo, Bounty Hunter
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:12:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Haven't been on the forum for a long time but thought these finds might be of interest.  I was detecting in Colorado about a mile south of Tin Cup.  It is an old mining town and I was working along a creek in the mountains when I got a signal.  I was surprised because I was not in an area where it looked like anyone had been before.  Nevertheless I dug down only three inches to find a coin on edge.  I knew by the size it was a quarter but delighted to find it was an 1861 quarter when I picked it up. On another occasion I was camping near Taylor Resevior and found the area where folks camped in the horse and buggy days.  That site gave me a silver dime and quarter out of the 30's and 40's and one really nice 1917 Walking liberty half.  Find those old sites in the mountains.  It's lots of fun as well as some of the most beautiful country in the world.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35369.msg215159.html#msg215159

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:18:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like some good hunting grounds there.

Yea, some places have little to no trace of past activities but did at one time or another.

Photo's are always good.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35369.msg215162.html#msg215162

Offline TriDitty
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:23:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Congratulations my new friend.

My favorite coin that I have ever pulled out of the ground was a "Half Dime" from 1858"  I am sure that you can see it through my pictures stored on this site if they are still there.  I am sure that your quarter is on the seated liberty type.  We Americans don't have the opportunity to find coins older than three or four hundred years old unless it is loot from pirates, etc.  These kinds of coins can make my year for me.

I know that my half dime was sold for $22,000 US in perfect condition but mine was so messed up that it's edges were nearly sharp and I had to take two, not just one, bends out of it. 

It is still my favorite coin by far.  I don't know what you used to find your silver but if your unit is as cheap (relatively) as mine, you would have registered this little half dime as more than one target and might have passed it up for trash.  I strongly recommend that if you are finding coins in that time range that you dig up things that don't show a constant target because of that very coin.  More expensive detectors might not have had that issue though. Welcome

Posted on: March 03, 2012, 10:20:12 PM
"Yea, some places have little to no trace of past activities but did at one time or another."

Homefire, that is one of the most intrigueing things about our hobby.  I live in an area that has swamps where things change so constantly that research is just the beginning of what I do to find new spots.l  Sometimes I actually google earth the cane field to find clumps of trees where once stood houses.  Other times, an out of place huge Oak tree might tell me that an old house may have been there.

Our hobby goes very deep so to speak. Teach

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35369.msg215167.html#msg215167

Tri City Ditty

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:38:25 pm by TriDitty »

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:47:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Congratulations on your finds! If you get a chance to please show us some pictures. Hope you will make more nice finds this season!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35369.msg215236.html#msg215236

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline budlangTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Tesoro Lobo, Bounty Hunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

I probably should have taken pics but I have been back to these places so many times and had already taken so many pictures I just didn't think about it.  Colorado is a long way from San AntonioTexas so I don't know when or if I'll correct thatAnyway, there . are a lot of great hunting sites to the north of Gunnison if you ever get up that way.

Posted on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:20 AM
Yep, it is a seated liberty and in pretty good condition.  It is not a rare date and only shows to be worth $35to $40.  But the fun of finding it was worth a lot more.  I'm convinced it was lost by an old miner who was panning the creek.  The area was full of activities in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  If you get the chance go to Taylor Resevoir and do some camping and hunt the surrounding mountains.  It is marvelous country.

Posted on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:13 AM
I'm hoping to go back but at the price of gas I'm not sure if it will work out as it is 1100 miles from where I live. It is a most beautiful place though and worth the drive.  Pull up Taylor Resevoir Colorado on your search engine and you will see what I mean.  Lots of places in the mountains to detect and the fishing isn't bad either.  The national camp grounds are very nice with accomodations for RV's and all other kinds of camping.  Sorry about no pics but I just wasn't carrying a camera at the time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35369.msg215474.html#msg215474

Offline HuntingNamibian
Namibian Hunter
Copper Member

Hunting a new democracy is challenging
Namibian Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Namibia

235.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:15:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great posts, nice to read and learn for those of who have good XP.

Thanks for sharing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35369.msg255593.html#msg255593

You never know what you might find!!!!!

You never know what you might find!!!!!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: