[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 05:20:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger

I know I am leaving my self open to some amusing replys but what is " Bever fever "?
And please don't tell me I should get out more or I do not know by now I will never know!
Being on the other side of world I have never heard of that. Grin

I am always interested in learning some thing new. Is is virus or parasite?

Here in down under in Australia the aborigines have very good knowlege of native foods and herbs which is always an education. I supose you guys in North America have a good local knowlege of Native herbel remidies also.

Always good know and learn.

Hardluck Grin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5414.msg43617.html#msg43617

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 06:34:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

hardluck;

Its called Beaver fever because it SEEMS to be associated with ponds and streams that have beaver (Canada's national animal) and the symptoms persist until it suddenly gets worse and one winds up in the hospital, really sick. I can look it up, it has another tech name and it is something like Giardia, a small mono cell critter. At one time there was NO Beaver Fever.

Yes, local native groups have herbal knowledge that can be a little different from knowledge a couple hundred miles away. For instance, as a kid, I started learning stuff from my grandmother that was mostly Cherokee lore from the Missouri Ozark mountains, also some from and old fellow who was 1/4 Cherokee; since then, I have learned some Cree 'medicine,' and even some European lore. Some of the Dene medicine includes treatment for some types of cancer... but the information has been lost, in the last 85 years, or so. We can only guess.

As one goes north, deep into Dene country, you run into clan secrets, 'oh, I can't tell you, you are from a different clan.'

I know of lots of wild food stuff, some of it takes a lot of preparing, to taste OK, or be safe to eat. We have 'cattails/bull rushes/ tulies' in open water swamps that wars were fought over, because the roots are edible. They have to be pulled, split, dried and pounded to get the starchy stuff out of the fiber...  then cakes were made and toasted on a rock. I think the starch is inulin because there is not much response to iodine, which turns purple for potato starch.

I guess, if I belonged to one of the local groups, I would be an ELDER, but not quite a medicine man. They would not like me, nor trust me, because I am not dark enough, I would have to be as dark as my mother or her father, my grandpa.

Tough world, I guess. There is the bark of a big bush, here that is good for diabetes, I took it for years until it was not strong enough. Its called Devil's Club and its nasty.

I have read some about Aboriginal things, taboos, sacred lands and stuff, it sounds familiar.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5414.msg43631.html#msg43631

goldigger

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 05:42:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger

Thank you for your answer very informative.

It is sad to see so much knowlege plants and herbs and herbs disappearing.

A prospector I knew from north west Australia in the Kimberly region told me a story about native medicine. He had a very bad problem of Tinea on his feet because of wearing boots in a hot and humid environment. He tried all the prescribed medicine and creams by modern doctors to no avail. The Tinea would come back.

An old aboriginal women who he once helped made up a cure for him out of bark, native grasses and other plants. She wrapped his feet up in bark like a sock with his souls of his feet in a sticky vegetable mass for a week. He was the source of jokes by many other white fellows when they saw him walking around with paperbark boots for a week. But to this day he has never had Tinea again and swears by it.

He tried to find out what was the plants she used. The Aboriginal women just laughed and winked at him and said it was tribal Blackfella's magic.

Some times Modern science due to arrogance can miss a really good cure for some thing. Just because the native does not know how it works, but knows it works.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5414.msg43723.html#msg43723

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 02:39:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

hardluck;

My broth-in-law's uncle told us a story from around 1900 (his uncle was known as NOSY, as a child) about this guy who was  traveling on the river by canoe. The trading post manager, who was the father of Nosy, asked him why or something like that and he showed him a huge thing on one arm. He said his doctor told him it was cancer, go out and enjoy yourself, you will be dead in a year.

So this guy was traveling because he had always wanted to. There were no roads, here, then so he was traveling the river "road."

There was a native lady, at the post, probably Dene; as this was traditional Dene territory, she said: "I can cure that," (probably said it in Dene Zha,) went out in the bush and came back, in a little while, with several kinds of herb (I think I know some of them.) She crushed these and made a poultice, put it on his arm and gave him the rest, with instructions on how to do it, for a week.

After a week, she came back, took the wrapping off his arm, and Nosy said it was a black jelly mass. The woman peeled it off, like a piece of rubber, and it left little holes in his arm, like it had roots, but it was all gone. She told him he was cured.

The herbs were simple common herbs, from here, because she did not have to look very long, that means they were plentiful.

That leads me to another story, which happened about 20 miles up river from the Post. I want to put it on this site, its about gold prospectors returning from the Yukon, murder and some robbery, and one person looking for the place it happened, MANY years later.

Sound interesting?

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5414.msg43795.html#msg43795

goldigger

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 07:01:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger

After wandering the world and meeting so many people with so many stories to tell. I have  aways got time to hear a story or two. It is what makes the world so interesting.

I await your story about the Yukon and the murder and some robbery of those wild and aventurous characters with much interest.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5414.msg43828.html#msg43828

Offline Shadow
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

195.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:29:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just reading your interesting string of posts Golddigger & hardluck. I've read where nature provides a cure for everything - it's a matter of finding someone who can/will help you. I'd like to hear the Yukon tale, too. Shad

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5414.msg44356.html#msg44356

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 02:20:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Shadow;

There are so many herbal....things.... out there, it is unbelievable, not just in the tropics but all the way into the polar regions! An example, is an anti-carcinogen, made from yew trees... its very destructive, on yews, unless an analog is manufactured.... man cannot always duplicate nature. Yew are protected, in BC. Maca root in the Andes, termeric/curcumin... now used in photosensitizing PC board!

The tale.... Its not a Yukon tale, its a northern BC tale with Yukon connections.... I have to fit it in, with every thing else and try to recall it all.... I heard it in 1958, a while ago, but it stuck, except for minor details. I can not ask the teller, a prime character in the story, because he has been dead for 10 years..... unless we can get some farside communication going..... then we could get ALL the answers! Anybody know James van Praag?  Great

IF one were to try that, an independant individual would have to do the seeking (of some one on the other side,) some one who does not know the story, thus can not answer leading questions, and can ask to hear from a named individual...if contacted, then ask questions! Could be interesting.  Wise

The ancestors know.   Detecting

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5414.msg44478.html#msg44478

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: