[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:20:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The malpais and inscription rock are definitely worth a trip......Where are you based out of?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155468.html#msg155468

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:26:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm sure I've heard  of area called the Malpais and some related treasure tales, Has there been some TV documentaries ? Seldom and BA could you give a bit more info ? Anyone with something to contribute please do. Starboss if you go there take photos, and don't forget to post us a report of how it was. Good luck with your adventure  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155471.html#msg155471

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:47:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Malpais in general is any bad land.   In specific the area of the El Malpais National monument is an old lava field mostly south of Interstate 40 in western New Mexico.   It's bounded on the east and south sides by New Mexico State Route 117 and on the west side by New Mexico State Routes 36 and 53 (more or less....just as I-40 more or less marks the northern boundary).   Some of the lava tubes in the flow area have naturally occuring "ice caves".    Very close to El Malpais is El Morro National Monument which is one of those places where anybody and everybody carved their name (including Spanish conquistadors....which gives you an idea of the relic potential (not to mention this is the heartland of the Southwest Native American territory)).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155478.html#msg155478

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks BA for giving out a bit of a lay of the land. Sounds like a bit of history going down in that area.
 So was it a hang out for bandits and the like.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155480.html#msg155480

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

I found a bit of info ' Some storys about a lost mine/ gold claim called the Adams  diggings, story goes the Apache indians attacked the party and only two made it out ...

Another story is of gold coins that came from a train robbery, I think the name Gus Raney was linked to some of it.

Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155519.html#msg155519

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 10:35:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, I wouldn't be looking for the Lost Adams Diggings in the malpais, but I do think that the Diggings are located within a day of the malpais.   As far as outlaws hiding out there, they might in ones or twos, but I'd expect it to be more of a refuge for small bands of renegade Indians....and even then only when the army was in hot pursuit.  Plenty of other places to hide nearby that are more hospitable.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155581.html#msg155581

Offline starbossTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Salt Lake City w/winter home in St. George, Utah.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155583.html#msg155583

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 11:25:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by starboss
Salt Lake City w/winter home in St. George, Utah.

Well that nixes the idea that I had for you for a nice Sunday afternoon drive if you were in Albuquerque or Santa Fe  Smiley   There were a couple of routes that included driving around the Malpais that I used to take any time I felt I needed to get away for a long afternoon attitude adjustment.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155584.html#msg155584

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 02:27:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

None of the outlaws associated with the Malpais  Bronco Bill, Black Jack and Sam Ketchum  Sam Bass never had enough money to bury are hide any of it. They know their life was going to be a short none had dreams of old age. So they lay low awhile then drink, gamble and whore away their money then go rob again.
Thats some pretty hard country to survive in even today can't see them hard cases staying long.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155627.html#msg155627

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
Thats some pretty hard country to survive in even today can't see them hard cases staying long.

I agree with Seldom about none of them having much money.....and to a certain extent about the land not being too hospitable even today.  Inside the Malpais proper the lands pretty much designed to wear you down and wear you out (if it doesn't cut you to shreds first).....BUT there are a lot of places in it that act as natural water cachement basins.   Most of them are really small and dry up quickly in the summer, but there are a few that are large enough and shaded enough that they can have at least stagnant water most of the year.   And while I wouldn't want to hide in the malpais for any length of time, I sure could see myself hiding in the mountains literally across the road from them  (except for that ever constant threat of hostile indians---at least back then especially when a lot of these guys never took the time to figure who the friendlies were and weren't and even the friendlies could be "difficult" if you were where you weren't supposed to be).   IF I were a successful outlaw and IF I ever managed to accumulate enough wealth that I'd feel like stashing it instead of spending it all, I'd pick the mountains overlooking the Malpais.   Biggest problem with that is the area really isn't very convenient to either the conveniences of the day (whiskey, women, supplies, etc) or any settlements of any size.  You've got mining communities down in the Mogollons (around Pinos Altos and Silver City) to the south, and you've got Grants, Gallup, and Ft Wingate to the West and Northwest...but all those are well over a day away.   Albuquerue, Santa Fe, and the mining communities between them are a long hard ride to the East.     You're basically in the middle of nowhere and surrounded (literally) by Indians.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155631.html#msg155631

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: