[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 03:46:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well if you have a big treasure perhaps thats to hide it BA Not many people to poke around and se what your up to. Just the indians to watch out for.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155646.html#msg155646

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe....but the thing is none of these guys ever had a "Big" score....and when they did have a successful robbery, most of them tended to go through the money real quick.   The specific ones we're talking about definitely were known to go through the money quickly (when they had---and frequently they didn't have it even after a job as many times their take turned out to be less than $20).....that's what led to a lot of them being captured.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155649.html#msg155649

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just walking though the Malpais can cut up a new pair of boots in a 100 yards plus as BA said water is a problem. I have heard of there being several year round springs there used by the Indians but have never found them on any map, so may just be legend.
As far as outlaw treasure I am betting little if any, but there is more modern treasure like the plane crashes BA point out.
If it was used as a hideout most camps would be 1 mile are less in and probably searched several times over the years.
If anyone goes looking take plenty of water lets don't make this place another Lost Dutchman were we lose hunters.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155675.html#msg155675

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline starbossTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 07:05:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You know, BA, bringing up The Lost Adams Diggings strikes a chord that I gave a lot of thought to.  Being in the area of El Malpais I believe you said that your feelings are that they would be within a day of El Maipais to the south or the southwest.  I've heard that they were in the area of Fort Defiance and was thinking a jaunt down that way for ten days or so could give me a chance to do some playing around Ft. Defiance, some looking (now) at El Malpais. Another place that I heard about involved an Indian who agreed to take a horse, saddle, and rifle in exchange for leading some prospectors to a creek where nuggets were found lying around in the creek.  A falls was close and they were told not to go up over the falls or they would be slain- they did and were.  Do you know anything about that story?

Also I want you to know that I am interested in battle sites, old army sites, anything that would turn up a relic or two.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155711.html#msg155711

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 11:17:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Starboss, I got info that Adams diggings were in El MAlpains.?
J.J.Adams& friend John Brewer were the survivours, of an Apache attack? I think I remember now
 seing this story that was on a dvd about this! lol
 Then there is the train robbery ? Think I mentioned it earlier.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155755.html#msg155755

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 12:33:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Starboss,

If you look around Ft Defiance, you are WAY too far north.  The Adams party started out southeast of Phoenix.  When Adams was found, he was south of Ft Wingate which is/was not far from modern day Grants, New Mexico which is quite a ways southeast of Ft Defiance......Besides you don't want to hunt in the Ft Defiance area.  The Navajo don't take kindly to people digging up their reservation.

Seldom, as far as springs in the malpais, there may be some, but I thing rather than springs like we generally think of with water bubbling up or seeping out what's there instead is natural lowspots where run-off and snow melt collect.... I've seen a couple of the larger natural basins that still had water in them in June before the summer monsoon had a chance to replenish them.   (I wouldn't want to drink the water in them unless I was absolutely desperate, but they are there).....and based on some of the signs (as in worn footpaths, not treasure signs) some of them must have been regular way stops for Native Americans crossing the area.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155760.html#msg155760

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Last time I was there was in the 90's and the old guy (Clem) I was with spent most of his time hunting the Malpais he showed me several water holes that were almost dry but it was late August. Clem had an interesting assortment of artifacts and rocks he had collected over the years but nothing of great value.

As for the Adams, Dobie was the first to write about it and not till 1925 so its all second hand accounts. Most of the hunts for it I have heard about center around Grants but who knows it may be north of there. This one is so far down my list I don't even have a file on it any longer guess I gave it away or destroyed it that is not a lot of factual info out there for it anyway.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155830.html#msg155830

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 01:04:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
Last time I was there was in the 90's and the old guy (Clem) I was with spent most of his time hunting the Malpais he showed me several water holes that were almost dry but it was late August. Clem had an interesting assortment of artifacts and rocks he had collected over the years but nothing of great value.

As for the Adams, Dobie was the first to write about it and not till 1925 so its all second hand accounts. Most of the hunts for it I have heard about center around Grants but who knows it may be north of there. This one is so far down my list I don't even have a file on it any longer guess I gave it away or destroyed it that is not a lot of factual info out there for it anyway.

I'm just the opposite...I have a thicker file on the Lost Adams than I do on anything else (probably because I've spent most of the last 20 + years in New Mexico and Arizona).   I think Grants is too far north.   If I were to bet, I'd  put it somewhere between Show Low Arizona and Pie Town New Mexico and Mogollon New Mexico.

Most of my trekking through the Malpais occurred well before the National Park Service controlled any more than a little sliver of it.    Should have spent more time there...but I had other things to do (like chase women and work).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155932.html#msg155932

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 01:08:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
If I were to bet, I'd  put it somewhere between Show Low Arizona and Pie Town New Mexico and Mogollon New Mexico.

Thats interesting got to dig out some maps.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155937.html#msg155937

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So BA, Do you think it's possible for some creek bed in the area you mention to have some rich pickings?
I was just thinking that someone could have found the area, Even if not actually looking for the Adams diggings.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg156366.html#msg156366

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: