[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cascaTopic starter
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:40:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

New at this, have hunted above ground only. I am curious as what could be found on a ranch, what should I look for, where to start. On the other side of that, what would you expect to find at a saloon say built in the 1800's? This is of course with permission of the owner and private property. My other concern is claims, can a person have a claim on someone elses private property? Should have made these separate post. Trying research out any snags, as I figure Ill be either seeing old buildings, or open area here in New Mexico. Thanks.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg127980.html#msg127980

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 12:25:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Underground you will find everything from treasures to trash, lots of the latter in fact. In private property you might have to make an agreement with the owner as far as what is found in the property. In old buildings/land or ghost towns you may also find good and not so good stuff. There is no best guidance than what experience will give you. Go for it and wait to see what happens. There is no right order on this, but rather follow your instincts and do a lot of research to pinpoint the best areas. You have come to the right place. Here you will learn a lot from many savyy people from around the globe. Happy hunting.  Detecting

Homefire is an excellent guy and resource and he is from your state!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg127983.html#msg127983

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:27:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yessir, everyone has been very helpful. Homefire I believe has answered several post. I love those pics of your recent work, good find.

Im overwhelmed as to what project to start first. I dont see alot of activity here local, so its not here, or I havent bumped into them yet. But there is alot of places to start.

I may be a out of work truck driver, but my wife works for a realtor, and has done the books for several buisness owners, all of who own ranches, vineyards, and even a converted saloon. We know these people well, like family.

I was worried I would have to travel, or join a club to hunt on gold claims. Thanks to Homefire and others, I have found plenty to do. I really appreciate the pics and stories.

I thank you for the input. I am researching now. Plan to start actually looking at site and do some test digging. I will post. I dont see a permission problem. I am enjoying the research way too much.

Been setting around too much nursing a shoulder injury. Will be glad to get out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg127988.html#msg127988

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:27:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey casca

Welcome aboard and best wishes from France

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg128033.html#msg128033

Lucky Luc

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:11:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Your wife is a realtor. That's very nice. She wil be able to get you into many interesting properties to try a hunt. I don't believe people selling a property would mind to let you hunt. Also, keep in mind that your detector can find land markers, plumbing, gas lines, wires, etc. with which to make some extra money for the service. Be careful though. Some property owners may have lost treasures hidden in their properties and may hire your services to find them for a share. Many possibilities in your particular case. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

Detecting
Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg128065.html#msg128065

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for the welcome Luc. I didnt mean my wife was a realtor, she works for a realtor. Im amazed at the finds on here and plan to get out next week if all works out and get started myself.Thanks for the post cyber.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg128196.html#msg128196

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 07:39:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What  a day. Finnaly picked me up a little coin hunter. Couldnt wait for the mail. It was new, used once, but no instructions or head phones. Stopped at a park on the way home to download the manual. Didnt dig, just detected. After reading the manual. did everything wrong, but had fun. Understood the guy I bought it off of as he was glad to be rid of it.

I hesitated before in a Bounty Hunter, but found it very easy to understand and use. Once I understood the controls it was neat to see stuff comming out of the ground. My back yard was my first project.

After watching air test online, this Pioneer 202 seem lacking, but its deadly 5" and up. It could be the operator yet. I see it can accept a 4" coil, which I would prefer. I liked the indicators. I like the tone and how it changes. It is light, easy to use. I didnt like it had to be in motion to detect.

It got dark and I had to dig big holes. The ground is hard here, so need a good tool. Already eyeing a pair of ear phones.......thanks for the input. Nothing to post a picture of. Almost ready to get out there.           

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg128528.html#msg128528

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:05:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

I own 2 BHs and am happy with them. I have used and abused them, no problem. Yes, they are coin retrieval animals. I own the Pioneer 505 and that beast loves coins and silver. No, it won't go too deep that's why I recently bought a Minelab Safari. But I'm still in the process of dominating and mastering this monster machine. Happy hunting and get a digging knife. No need to make huge holes, especially don't do them in parks to avoid problems.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg128619.html#msg128619

Offline LkyEgl
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Since your wife works for a realtor, you might have a special inroad for metal detecting, beside the obvious. Town/cities change a lot over time. What was once residential is now commercial. And farms become malls.

See if you can locate old arial photographs of different areas, say from the '30s, then compare them with up to date photo's or maps. Even though areas may now be commercial, there will be areas that are legally city property that you can detect. And of course, there are always areas where the pavement and sidewalks are being torn up to refurbish them. Some of those areas could have been the site of social gatherings 80 years ago. I had incredible luck in the median strips (between sidewalks and curbs,) in the old downtown part of SanBernardino, California, back in the early '80s.

As always, check to make sure there are no ordinances prohibiting metal detecting in certain areas. And above all, Fill And Replace The Sod/Grass when you dig.

Good luck with your hunting.

Eagle

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg128648.html#msg128648

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:28:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Do appreciate it eky. I have found a 1952 map with ruins, thats outside of town on open range. Im not ready to hit historical spots just yet. Been abusing myself in the parks, and still trying to figure best way to dig. I am leaning on a digging tool, just dont know which one. The ground is very hard here.

The park I was just in had a black tarp underneath, and I was reading deep. Usually its within 3" when I find anything. Going to pick up a cheap pinpointer to see if Im loosing any of the siver the machine is telling me is there.

Even discriminating, the detector will give me a signal in a 2' foot square area. I have not found anything there yet? I notch the thing and it does well. Will recheck next week as I was finding sprinkler heads and twist off caps. Spent too much time finding them.

The BH 202 will always be in my closet of detectors till it wears out. I like the location of the push buttons I can get a good pace and search a large area. Im only getting coins, but thats the idea to get the next machine.

I favor a 12" inch flathead screwdriver right now. No digging for what Im finding. I also have a pocket knife to cut the turf so I dont leave any signs of digging. But that doest work when there is no grass. Un fortunately a scracth what I find.

I also made a screen out of a 3lb coffee can. Took some extra rain gutter screen, cut to fit bottom of inside can. Then took my can opener and seamed off the bottom. Makes a clean dirt holder for a deep hole. Also works great in sand. Tap gently with a hammer on a flat surface to get screen to lay down.

Had one problem beside trash today(budwieser twist off caps). There is a black mat under the park grass and sand. It is probably being held by a nail every so often. Need to work on discriminating better. The notch button didnt always eliminate corroded metal, or large pieces of metals. Maybe a little more adjusting, or a problem with machines that automatically ground balance.

I am sore so mission accomplished.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19501.msg128677.html#msg128677

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: