[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Assembler
Bronze Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

760.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows Vista/Server 2008
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 05:29:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello

The models of detectors don't matter as much as you mite think for going after coins for example. 
If one is more interested in prospecting for metal ores or native metal then it pays to get a detector that is designed for that in any make or brand.   Best to have a number of different types of detectors and coils to cover more types of  intended targets.  One can detect the same ground as others and still find left over targets especially if others are using a lot of discrimination on there metal detectors.

The only real tip this one has is that the background minerals in the NW are a real pain and sometimes one can take the 'Intended target rock' away or off the ground to scan alone to help find out what may be inside.
If one is lucky to start paying for there detectors then the above starts to becomes easy to do.  Still working on this part.....LOL.   All it takes sometimes is one really good find.  Kiss

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65121.msg317733.html#msg317733

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 06:27:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That MXT should be good for a Few Nuggets if you can get it over em.  As far as detectors go  I'll pretty much use what ever is at had if need be.  Just took possession of a GMT yet to get it over gold.   I have Bounty Hunters, Garrett's, Whites, a Compass, even a Radio Shack and DIY PI detectors in the Mix. 

Have any Ideas were to go yet ?

HF

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65121.msg317734.html#msg317734

Offline Assembler
Bronze Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%

United States

760.00 Gold
View Inventory
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 09:37:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
Homefire wrote:
Quote:Posted by {author}
As far as detectors go  I'll pretty much use what ever is at had if need be.
 I have Bounty Hunters, Garrett's, Whites, a Compass, even a Radio Shack and DIY PI detectors in the Mix.

People have found both lost items such as coins and native metals with any and all of the above excellent information there Homefire.  Clapp

Maybe the only way to find small flakes of metal may be away from other mineral targets in the ground or background?  One will have to play with different coils as well to help find very small targets.

The 'Old timers' only had there eyes and say a hammer to break open the rocks so any way to 'Scan inside rocks' can save a lot of back breaking work of opening rocks.  Even if the detector will tell if there is a higher than normal 'Mineral zone' within a given target rock this could save one from opening every rock say in a out crop of many tons of rock.
By the way scanning a given rock target with more than one detector and coil setup can also tell one what may be inside and the shape thereof as well.  This maybe true with 'Cash hunting' as well?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65121.msg317735.html#msg317735

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 06:02:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

As has been mentioned, the model itself and even the manufacturer are not as important as most people think. The key is computerization. No, not the one in the detector. The one between your headset. You will eventually learn all the quirks of your machines and become proficient at determining things like depth and actual location. Your machine may tell you that there is a quarter down there but your ears and brain will almost always either confirm that or have you questioning. Either way, the more you use it the better you will do. I predict that those machines will do you perfectly for a very long time.

As for prospecting, you may be disappointed in a lot of ways. Nuggets are rare and gold is often too fine or small to detect. So, you once again will have to refer to the computer between the headset to find gold. Join the GPAA (Gold Prospector's Association of America) and you will be provided with an atlas of the club's locations where you can be sure gold is present. There are a number of GPAA claims in Washington that you can use free of charge as a member. The GPAA requires that if you use a claim, all you have to do is small improvement work on the claim. Things like moving tree branches, cleaning up trash left by other members (who should never do that but sadly do) or clearing obstructions to a stream.  Well worth the money since your membership has free perks.

Good luck and do some bonding with your son. I lived in Bremerton, Washington for a while when the USS Ranger was in drydock. I loved it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65121.msg317736.html#msg317736

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline letsexploreTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 56.0.2924.87
Chrome 56.0.2924.87

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 07:36:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you, very good information. I will use that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65121.msg317743.html#msg317743

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.