[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline NiobiumTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Sweden
Referrals: 0

625.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter Digital
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:37:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you all for the friendly welcome!
It?s a new day at work, i have to try to catch up reading about all new finds... Kiss

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg40350.html#msg40350

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Niobium;

Hi Tony, I talked to you before but I just found your introductory note... had to get  in a few licks, as it were. Funny

What I am about to say, I do NOT want you to take this the wrong way.... when I was a kid, we had this rhyme that could be used as norwoggens or swedes, but rhymes better, this way...

Ten thousand Swedes, ran through the weeds,
At the battle of Copenhagen.
Ten thousand Swedes, ran through the weeds.....
Chased by one Norwoggen!

The point is: was the battle of Copenhagen real, and is  IT searchable???

Any small, historically insignificant, skirmish might be good for searching.

I posted something about Vikings... so I wonder, can YOU tell me what a VIK is? I know.

Can you give me a registry of web Cams, in Sweden? I have been looking at web cams in Norway... looks a lot like here.

goldigger (Brian)

You have such potential, over there, I am totally envious!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg40700.html#msg40700

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:52:20 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Sweden

625.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 12:22:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger-

Fantastic positive replies over here at this forum, like it a lot!

Well, the Vikings was mainly from Island, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, as far as i know there were no battles between the countries but since they were divided into small kingdoms there might have been some battles between them. I don?t think the battle of Copenhagen was something that actually happened since i have not found any information about this specific battle, but these times were quite unstable so to say, so i might be wrong.

Often the Vikings prepared themselves before a raid by drinking "Mj?d" a brew almost like beer spiced up with honey and sometimes halocinogenic mushrooms turning them into raging war machines on their own.

If you guys are interested in the Viking era there?s loads of literature and old findings around these countries. 

Regarding the Swedish webcams, except people showing off, i presume you mean the public ones and i can share this link for you:

Please Register or Login

http://swecams.telgebo.se/

I?m really eager to get going waiting for my detector being shipped from the states, i?m gonna try it out without a permit at my moms place and the nearby farmers fields, even these areas is off limit without a permission but hey, as long as the landowners gives me thumbs up, i?m not gonna wait for a permit since i have to have a proper learning spot to practice at.

Thank?s for all the information and friendly posts i have received!

//Tony

The whole Viking "poem"

Ten T?ousand Svedes

Ten T?ousand Svedes ran tru da veeds
Chased by vun Norvegian
Ten t?ousand more ran to da shore
In da battle of Copenhagen.

Vay, vay back in history
Back ven da vorld vas new
Norvegians searched all over
To find some snoose to chew.

Dey fished for Lutefisk and Torsk
It helped to make dem strong
And you and me, ve know a Norsk
Cannot do nutting wrong.

But Svedes and Danes were envious
Of Viking trips and raids
Da Viking shields and helmet horns
Made all dose folks afraid.

T?roughout da world da Vikings sailed
To Ireland and to France
Dey even found America
Vun afternoon by chance.

My Grandpa says, and he should know,
Da Svedes made up their minds
To beat da Norsky Vikings
And kick a few ?behinds.?

But history, so my Grandpa says,
Shows dat da Norskies von
Dey clobbered all da Svedes and Danes
And made it lots of fun.

Ten t?ousand Svedes ran tru da veeds
Chased by vun Norvegian
Da dust from da veeds made snoose for da Svedes
And dey called it COPENHAGEN!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg40705.html#msg40705

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:26:08 am by Niobium »
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 08:59:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Niobium;

Very good.... I have never seen the whole verse, that is the whole verse. Right?

Well the finding of north America (one afternoon by chance) has been pretty well established. Funny

At L,anse aux Meadows, in noofy land. (not sure how that is spelled, my French has failed me)

My question about the Vikings has not been answered by anyone..... after years of digging I found a simple answer: vik like the English wik, is apparently a creek, so the flat bottomed boats could easily go up the creeks and get a surprise element, this way.... the viking boats were what is now called clinker-built.

"Mj?d" is probably equivalent to the English (Saxon?) mead which is made from honey and flavoured with various things. I know some people named "Mj?ddahlen" but semi-Anglicised it to Mjugdahl also some Mhyre, which was pronounced like myoo-ra, in Norway, but here, it is my-er

Where I grew up, there were many Norwegian settlers, a few Swedes and also some Icelanders... there were these two Norwegian settlers, (I remember is one was named Inar Knutsgaard, and the other was Chris Vigdal... actually happened) the one was demonstrating his new, shortwave radio... he said, you turn here and get Radio Moscow, you turn over here, and you get Radio Italy, and so on and so on. Finally he said to the other gentleman: Vell vot do you tink ov it? The other guy said, as he pulled out his snoose can: Ay got sumting vill beat dat.... you yust turn dis (the top of the can,) an you get Copenhagen.

Tony, I can not speak Norwegian but I can understand a lot, because of that community, and I can figure out a lot of the printed word. (Both have common words with English and Icelandic even more so.)

I am really interested in all the finds and history, involved

goldigger (Brian)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg40839.html#msg40839

goldigger

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Sweden

625.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 01:51:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger-

Regarding the Mj?d, you hit the spot, that?s exactly what i was talking about, historians says that some kind of mushrooms were added to get a chemical sort of tripp, bringing the rage level and boosting the ability to perform in battle.

Regarding the verse, i think i got it all, found it on a Danish guys website, i have actually never heard it before.

Regarding the boats, the were wide wide and not so deep so the could use the to travel great distances on open sea but also use it upstreams in small rivers, vikings actually did go to Russia and places around the Arabic countries.

Regarding the language, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and ab it of German language is quite alike, German is the "cousin" of the languages but could be understood regarding some words, although Finnish language, there we don?t have a chance to understand but Sweden had some colonies and ruled Finland for some years so theres actually Swedish speaking communities over there as well.

If there?s something i can provide or translate just tell me and i?ll try to help you out Brian. Smiley

//Tony

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg40871.html#msg40871

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 12:41:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hay Tony,

I found this definition,

"Berserkers (or Berserks) were Norse warriors who wore
coats of wolf or bear skin and were commonly understood
to have fought in an uncontrollable rage or trance of fury,
hence the modern word berserk. It is also likely they were
called Berserkers because of their close relation to bears
and the fact that they wore a "serk" of bearfurs. Serk simply
meant a dress in the old Nordic language."

Maybe these are the Vikings you were talkin about?

HH,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg40912.html#msg40912

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 06:31:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Niobium;

(Niobium - That is some relation to Tantalum, right?)

Finnish, and a couple other European dialects, including Lapp, are related to Turkish..... but then the experts say our Innuit languages are also related to Turkic... they class the related languages as /Ugrian./

I think you have to classify English, Dutch and Flamish in the Germanic language as western Gothic descendants, and the Slav languages and Russian (greatly influenced by Vikings) are of eastern Gothic descent. Experts claim the Gaelic languages are descended from a language that was a sister language to the parent languages of Latin and west/east Gothic. I think it is pretty well a jumble that has not included Hindi which has basic Gothic and Celtic words.

What I find interesting is all the Scandanavian borrow words, in English, that we use every day.... without even thinking! We have the borrow words AND the English words with slightly different meanings. I can only think of one example, right now, that has come down from the colonies, in England... /dish and disk/ but we failed to borrow fisk. Perhaps it was on the disk and somebody ate it. Funny

Is there any placer mining done in Sweden??  I have read that Finland has a small placermining industry.

goldigger (Brian)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg40983.html#msg40983

goldigger

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Sweden

625.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:07:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tabdog-

Yes berzerkers / vikings are the same regarding some documentation. there were no proofs of vikings wearing horn on their helmet but it was quite common to use animal skins from bears, wolfs etc for camoflauge and the ability to frighten the enemies.

Goldigger-
Niobium is a metal slightly bearing the same caracteristics from titanium, mined in Norway for an example.
regarding the turkish language, there was a time were the Swedish king ruled and had a heavy war machinery fighting against the turks... Tongue

Mining in Sweden, in Falun theres was some serious copper mining and also the manufacturing of the world famous red paint "Falu r?df?rg" being quite common on old cottages.

Now day the biggest Swedish mining town is Kiruna, mining for iron.
Don?t know the correct terms, but it was Sweden who supplied both sides of the WWII with steel so weapons could be built... Both a bad and a good thing.

///Tony

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg41093.html#msg41093

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 12:31:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Niobium;

Tony, when I say /mining/, I mean gold, silver, platinum, tantalum, niobium.... the GOOD stuff, oh I know, we would be nowhere without iron.... but its not exciting.  Got any diamond mines yet?? Funny

Meteorites are high Iron and more exciting than digging Limonite. So I  should not be disparaging about iron, I guess.

My cousin had one go through her shed roof, a couple years ago. No no!

goldigger (Brian)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6660.msg41172.html#msg41172

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.