[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SilvermistTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT, Whites Spectrum
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:27:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just thought I would say hi and introduce myself.

I have been a detectorist for close to 40 years.  I bought my first detector while living in Missouri when I was 16.  I now reside in Colorado and try to get out as much as I can. 

I am an avid White's fan and have been since I purchased my first White's back in 1976.  I have been fortunate to have detected on both coasts and many states in between.  So far every detector has paid for itself with the exception of my first, a $49 wonder!

I don't have a preference as to the type of dectecting, but I am not to fond of modern parks.  I prefer finding an old rusy square nail over a handful of modern coinage.

I can say I have seen a change over the years.  The older stuff is getting tougher to find as sites are getting hit harder with newer technology.  Of course back in the old TR days pull tabs where a bugger!  But there are still untouched sites, they just take more research to find.  And of course back in the 'old days' getting permission to detect private property was easier.  Now many land owners are more reluctant to grant access.

I do find myself avoiding the more obvious places and searching for the overlooked hot spot.  I often go out and scout areas with no success, sometimes I don't even turn on the detector.  So getting skunked is not uncommon.  But when I do find success it usually is pretty good.  A rusty artifact is as much fun for me to find as an older coin.

I was blessed to introduce the hobby to my daughter when she was eleven and she found a diamond ring on her first day detecting.  So I went and bought her her own detector. 

Winter has set in so detecting is pretty much is suspended until the warm weather returns.  Here in Colorado that my be until June for the higher elevations.  So I am resigned to just do some research and make plans for the summer. 

I would enjoy hearing from others in Colorado.

Good Hunting!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204186.html#msg204186

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy, Silvermist.   Welcome from Arizona.   So what general part of Colorado do you call home?

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204188.html#msg204188

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 12:19:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

I live in the Colorado Springs area.  Most of my detecting is in the mountains West and South West from the Springs.  What part of Arizona are you?  My daughter lives near Tucson and I likely will head that way in the Spring and am thinking of bringing a detector along.  I hear there is a club in Tucson so maybe I could link up and do some hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204194.html#msg204194

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:51:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aboard! I'm glad to see welcome such a long time detectorist! I bet you have lots of great storries to tell and finds to show. I look forward to reaing your postings.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204198.html#msg204198

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:20:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

I live in the Phoenix area.   You are right about there being a club in Tucson. Check them out at

Please Register or Login

http://www.detectorsunlimited.org/
.  You should especially check out their page on "Local Detecting" whether you decide to link of with them or not.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204203.html#msg204203

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:03:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.     Good to have  Ya here.      How is the weather over yonder?

Snowing pritty good here this morning.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204217.html#msg204217

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 06:22:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the welcome.  We have around 6 to 8 inches at the moment, I know because I just finished shoveling the sidewalk.  It is starting to melt on the major roadways.

I hope someday to move to either New Mexico or Arizona, I am tired of Colorado.  Maybe I am getting old but I remember the days when I could get into the back country and not see a soul for a week or two.  It seems these days that I am barely out for a day before someone comes by.  I am tempted sometimes to rope off my section of the woods to keep people away! 

What part of New Mexico are you located.  I have a couple of interesting leads in New Mexico I think would be fun to check out.  Maybe I will make it down that way this summer.

If anyone out there wants to do some detecting in Colorado let me know.  I enjoy ghost towning and know of some that would take hiking to access.  The only problem is they are in the National Forest so detecting is not allowed, but nugget shooting is.  As is detecting for meteorites.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204231.html#msg204231

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Animas Forks Colorado.jpg

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Silvermist, Lots of friendly folks here and lots of interesting finds too. I agree with you, its just as much fun to find a old rusty artifact as it is to find a recently lost ring especially if the artifact fits in with the history of the site.  The joy is in the find not in the possession though I wouldn't mind possessing some gold bars. I've been at it two years and I've hit the local old house sites pretty hard. Around here it seems like most of the sites have coins that go back to about 1965 but not much earlier that. I was wondering if the silver coins got hunted out when the price of silver went up in the late 70's? Another explanation might be that money was worth more then than now and people hung on to it more. A third possibility is that the houses I've hunted were not that old. I know some were built in the late 60's. I once thought the older coins had sunk into the soft sand here in Florida but I have now discounted that notion because I have a site where coins 1900-1910 are almost on top of the sand.  I have always picked up pennies that I drop but I recall in the early eighties I started asking myself why? Keep up the good work and I hope to see more of your posts gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204247.html#msg204247

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 11:43:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi gambol, Sounds as if you are at least getting out there.  I understand the silver thing.  When I lived on the East coast I found silver every time I took out my detector.  Then I moved out West and went for a long time, and I mean long time without finding silver.  I did find wheaties but never silver.  I hung up my detector for a few years when I got into exploring old mines.  I did pretty well using just the eyes.  But then I broke out the detector and started up again, now I find silver quite often. 

I would venture to say that silver is not always deeper than more modern coinage.  It seems objects don't always just migrate down, I have found older silver closer to the surface than modern zinc pennies.  I now usually avoid newer sites, such as parks and post '65 houses.  But even newer houses can offer great finds.  I found a really nice diamond ring in my driveway when I was living in the country  The house was only 7 years old.

If you have older neighborhoods where you live and there is a strip between the sidewalk and the street I can almost bet you will find silver.  Most communities that strip is public but you may get a few upset homeowners thinking it is their property.  Check with the local courthouse or police.  Last year a friend got a really nice detector for Christmas and took it out Christmas day.  In that strip I am referring to he found an old key date wheat penny that was worth more than his detector.  He was braver than I as the ground here is frozen and one needs to chisel to retrieve anything.

I found a rare token at a ghost town a couple years ago that was just an inch from the surface, so older coins can still be shallow.  Keep the patience and the dry spell will pass.  Also, it is true that no site is ever hunted out, yes the finds may get tougher to locate but there is usually still something there.  If you are finding newer coins that have been in the ground then it likely has not been hunted too much.  Go back over them a few times, if for nothing else just to hone your skills.

I envy new detectorists the thrill of finding their first silver coin.  Silver usually comes out of the ground as shiny as when it when in.   To turn the soil over and catching that glint of silver for the first time is a great feeling.  So if you haven't had that experience yet it will come, hopefully soon for you!

Good luck and keep swinging, you have many years of enjoyment ahead of you!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28884.msg204250.html#msg204250

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.