[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Nuga YodaTopic starter
Copper Member

Treasure to the Metal
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Malaysia
Referrals: 0

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret ACE 250, Bounty Hunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 09:20:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Buy a metal detector designed for the type of hunting you are going to do. For discussion, a VLF/TR might be the absolute best for where you are using it but without ground balancing, you cannot use it on salty beaches. If you have automatic ground balance as an option, that might be the best solution for salty beaches. It really depends on the manufacturer and the machine itself.

What are you using?

Hi GoldDigger,

Am using Garrett ACE 250, it has an automatic ground balancing with an 8 level sensitivity push button control. Might be possible to work on salt water and wet sand, if i tune down the sensitivity level a bit,you think?

Nuga Yoda

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45016.html#msg45016

The hunt is as good as the find

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:09:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Nuga Yoda
Hi GoldDigger,

Am using Garrett ACE 250, it has an automatic ground balancing with an 8 level sensitivity push button control. Might be possible to work on salt water and wet sand, if i tune down the sensitivity level a bit,you think?

Nuga Yoda

Quite possibly so. Have some fun experimenting with it. Sand at the beach is an easy place to put test targets and see how your machine reacts. I played with an Ace 250 for a day and it was quite good. It's on my list of machines to acquire one day.

How have you been doing so far with it? Any good finds?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45041.html#msg45041

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Treasure to the Metal
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Malaysia

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quite possibly so. Have some fun experimenting with it. Sand at the beach is an easy place to put test targets and see how your machine reacts. I played with an Ace 250 for a day and it was quite good. It's on my list of machines to acquire one day.

How have you been doing so far with it? Any good finds?

Hunt around twice at a beach for a couple of hours, since I was on a field test dare not venture into the salty wet sand until I learn much about it. Lots of trashy stuff,pull rings, bottle caps and nails. Manage to find some coins in Malaysian currency = RM1.50 roughly AUS$0.8 (US$0.5)  Grin Got about RM2 coins at a park as well. First experience; it is an xcellent coin hunter.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45114.html#msg45114

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 09:03:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hunt around twice at a beach for a couple of hours, since I was on a field test dare not venture into the salty wet sand until I learn much about it. Lots of trashy stuff,pull rings, bottle caps and nails. Manage to find some coins in Malaysian currency = RM1.50 roughly AUS$0.8 (US$0.5)  Grin Got about RM2 coins at a park as well. First experience; it is an xcellent coin hunter.

If you are new to metal detecting, the trash is going to flow in so get used to it. Most of us who are successful at it will dig in the all metal mode and simply consider trash removal to be a public service of sorts. As you get better, the finds will improve. Keep working at it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45119.html#msg45119

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Treasure to the Metal
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Malaysia

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 09:14:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD,

Tanx Bro for the inspiration ...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45122.html#msg45122

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD,

Tanx Bro for the inspiration ...

Something for you to ponder. I put every coin I find in a bucket. This year, I have filled two of them with a total value of over $2000.00 in modern coins alone. All that from a handful of coins every day. It all adds up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45124.html#msg45124

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Treasure to the Metal
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Malaysia

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 03:37:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Something for you to ponder. I put every coin I find in a bucket. This year, I have filled two of them with a total value of over $2000.00 in modern coins alone. All that from a handful of coins every day. It all adds up.

Wow.. that is great. A very good tip indeed. You know I was thinking of a similar idea as well besides dreaming of the big cache of finds along the way which is the ultimate. Then again it always pays to be patient in this venture.

By the way GD, you joined any club or has a club on your own?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45158.html#msg45158

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 03:44:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

There are a few of us who get together informally in Perth over coffee now and again. There might be a club here but I haven't looked for one.

Treasure hunters tend to be solitary and choose their friends carefully so I think clubs are overrated. They do sponsor competition and have events in other parts of the world though.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45159.html#msg45159

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Treasure to the Metal
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Malaysia

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 03:53:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Understandable... But in my case here I would really like to form a club or get some friends to be interested in this hobby. However, no one wants to get down and dirty looking for treasures!

I may be the only one who is really interested at the moment. At least you have friends there to talk over coffee on some of the best experience you all had.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45161.html#msg45161

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 04:00:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Understandable... But in my case here I would really like to form a club or get some friends to be interested in this hobby. However, no one wants to get down and dirty looking for treasures!

I may be the only one who is really interested at the moment. At least you have friends there to talk over coffee on some of the best experience you all had.

You should celebrate that you are alone at the moment my friend. In Perth, at the beaches, there are dozens of metal detectorists these days all putting pressure on the beaches each Monday morning. At the local sand pit playgrounds, I see more and more the footprint patterns of a detectorist who has been there before me. I long for the good old days when I woudn't see another detectorist for months.

When can I fly up and join you on your quest? Is it legal for a tourist to enter Malaysia with a detector? Some countries forbid it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7247.msg45163.html#msg45163

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.