[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Rebel73153Topic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

840.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Tesoro Compadre
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:51:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I just got started in detecting about 3 weeks ago. Bought a BH Discovery 2200 and am learning to use it. I live in Roseburg Oregon. If there are any members in that area that would be willing to take on a newbie to teach the ropes i would appreciate it.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37296.html#msg37296

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:33:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello and welcome to the forums!! Unfortunately, I live in Missouri so I can't help you out on the beach hunting.  Oh, hm if you are at the beach.  There is going to be a lot of modern trash there, but do not, I repeat DO NOT discriminate pull tabs.  They are so close in relation to rings, that most of the time rings come up as pull tabs.  There conductivity is so close, and they are about the same size and that is what makes it come up as pull tab. 

Anyways, I would have all metal detection on, so that way you can learn the different tones and such of the bad and good tones.  These machines are not always correct, first off.  I have a bit of trouble in trying to find any valuables where I live but I suppose I'll have to go to the park instead.

If you want to learn a lot about how to detect, I would search the archives are post questions.  I've been in this about....4 years now, so I know a good deal of things.  I don't know about the coasts, but most other things I do. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37300.html#msg37300

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

840.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the quick reply. I most always hunt in All Metal mode and dig everything because i live in an area with gold and i don't want to miss some because i ignored a tone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37301.html#msg37301

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:11:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to this forum & the surprising delights of detecting as you never know what you're going to discover from one day to another - hope to see some pictures of finds soon - esp the gold. Good luck - have fun! Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37312.html#msg37312

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Can't blame you there.  Large chunks of gold might ring up as silver or copper because it would read of high conductivity.  Little pieces of gold might read iron because of how small the nugget/flake may be.  I don't have to worry about gold here, I dig almost everything my detector beeps on.  Even if its sure its iron, and I'm sure.  Sometimes the iron objects could be relics, like yesterday I dug up a Model A spark plug, maybe about 90-100 years old.  Made of glass, at first I thought it was a chess piece. Grin Anyways, all metal is a good choice especially in a trashy area.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37313.html#msg37313

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

840.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:17:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

I went out today to a local park where they had a free concert last night figuring with all the people there laying around on blankets and such there had to be dropped/lost stuff. Started having problems right off as i was constantly getting signals. I figured it was the underground sprinkler system or underground wires for the electric. I did manage to ignore most of the low tones i was getting and find 5 quarters, 2 dimes, and 6 pennies. But the signals kept getting more frequent and finally i started checking connections to see if something was loose. Found that the coil wire covering had pulled back from the coil and the wires were shorting out. I only had the detector out 3 times and already it is down. I saw another Bounty Hunter recently with the exact same problem. Is this a common issue with them?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37372.html#msg37372

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:52:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That can be a problem with any detector. If it is new, take it back to the dealer or send it in for repair. You do not want to void your warranty. Sometimes the manufacturers are all right with you doing a minor repair but always call and ask. Garrett was happy to let me replace the switch on a machine myself without voiding the warranty. The switch had fallen apart. They even sent me the switch but I used another, more durable one that is still doing good service.

If the coil wires are exposed like that you need to keep them separate and usually RTV or Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber will do the job just fine. Use silicone RTV if you can get it. It's semi-transparent. Separate the wires with a tiny bit of cardboard and then squirt the RTV on to the open wires leaving the cardboard in place. Let it harden overnight before you slip the cover back on so you can remove it again if you need to. Try to shape it when you apply it so the cover will fit back on but if it does not fit you can always trim it carefully with nail clippers after it hardens.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37380.html#msg37380

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

840.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:01:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the advice. I already contacted Bounty Hunter and was told to send the coil back and they would replace it so i put it in the mail to them today. Will see what happens.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37383.html#msg37383

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:49:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When you get it back, secure the wire to the pole near the coil using a plastic wire tie. That will help to keep it from moving around and coming loose again. It will not guarantee anything but it will help. It will also eliminate some false readings from the coil wire itself. Yes, you can and do pick up the wire and when you tie it to the shaft in a near vertical position, you can actually increase the sensitivity and your depth. The coil wire, when nearly parallel to the coil surface, affects a lot of things. Any slight movement of that wire for any reason will give you a false reading every time. If you need to, you can cut the plastic wire tie to change or remove the coil in the future.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37397.html#msg37397

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

840.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 02:54:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for that info on the wire tie, i will give it a try. Would electrical taping it to the shaft do the same thing? maybe a drop of Gorilla Glue at the joint would help keep it from coming out again?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6132.msg37399.html#msg37399

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.