[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dpeaseTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

looking
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:19:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

I really want to take up this hobby i live in florida and 5 min from beach, i want a good all around detector, i cant seem to find the right 1 could some one give me some suggestions for 300. 500. dolar range.

thanks any help would be appreciated

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28878.msg204135.html#msg204135

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:47:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The very best suggestion I can give you is to use the search function at the top right corner to search for "best detector".   You won't find recommendations for specific detectors so much as you will find suggestions on how to decide which detector is best for you.   Buying a detector is like buying a car.   Some people won't touch a Ford no matter how good the deal is.  Others won't buy an "import" even if it is made in the USA.
     Now, if you want specifics---given the fact that you are 5 minutes from the beach, I would very seriously consider buying a Garrett AT-Pro.   It is a little bit above the price range you mention, but since it is submersible to 10ft, you're covered if you are wading and get hit by a rogue wave.   If you don't want to go the extra $100 or so for the AT-Pro, the Garret Ace350 would be a good choice for you as would the Tesoro Silver or Cibola.   Other good detectors in your price range are the Fisher F-4, the Teknetics Delta or Gamma, and the White's Coinmaster Pro or Prizm5G.
     If you have a metal detector store near you, go to it and see how the detectors feel.....believe me if you are going to be swinging them for two or more hours at a time, that can be a deciding factor between two detectors that are mechanically and electronically equivalent.   If you're close to Orlando, I'd say pop into Kellyco since I know they have most of those detectors on hand.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28878.msg204137.html#msg204137

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What part of Florida are You?

Any thing between the low tide and high tide is yours by law there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28878.msg204149.html#msg204149

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 06:45:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!   Welcome  Good luck with finding the right detector for you!  This is a great place to get information and to learn!    Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28878.msg204159.html#msg204159

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Silvermist
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT, Whites Spectrum
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:07:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the hobby!  I live in Colorado so I am not familier with the conditions you will face in Florida.  I can't give any valid recommendations as to which detector will work best for you.  Some folks are die hard Garrett users, some White's, and so on.  I personally am a huge White's fan.  I have used other brands but always gravitate back to White's.   I will say be cautious when you set a hard price limit.  You will get what you pay for.  I bought my daughter her first detector and selected a name brand detector with some nice features and within a couple of months stuck it in a closet and purchased a more expensive but far better White's.  I even use it sometimes over my top of the line White's. 

For a really decent beginners detector I would expect to be near the 500 dollar mark.  As mentioned previously, locate a dealer close by and talk with them.  Stay away from chain stores and such, only because you want to speak with a dealer who actually uses detectors, and if they won't take you out to actually try one find another dealer who will.  If there is a club within a short distance contact them and try to attend one of their outings.  Many members will be happy to take you in hand and show you the ropes.

I will say that this is a hobby where your effort will show results.  Get a quality detector, take the time to learn it well, and use it and it will pay off.  It really doesn't matter a whole lot the brand, if you learn your detector you likely will stay brand loyal, at least until you become an expert.  The real treasure is getting out and enjoying a great hobby, even days you find nothing are great days.  As is said about fishing, the worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

A good place to research various brands and features for the price is Kellyco.  Search them on-line.  I use them to see what the various manufacturers are offering.

Good luck and enjoy! 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28878.msg204184.html#msg204184

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aboard! You got many good replies there. I would also want to throw in the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq - while it of course also much depends on your budget.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28878.msg204472.html#msg204472

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.