[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dumbdiggerTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

0.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 83.0.4103.116
Chrome 83.0.4103.116

Awards

1987 Revenge of the Nerds II (gold finder)
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:49:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello everyone!
 Not new to detecting but new to this forum!
I am sure you have seen me on other forums.
Ill be thread watching! lol
Jer

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71126.msg330852.html#msg330852

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:43:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jer!  Welcome to this forum from Oregon!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71126.msg330853.html#msg330853

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Chrome 83.0.4103.97
Chrome 83.0.4103.97

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 12:46:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Glad to have you here

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71126.msg330915.html#msg330915

Offline black00cat
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 86.0
Firefox 86.0

Awards

66TR,6000/d.6000/Di
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:20:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting
Hello,
A month or so ago, I posted that I had purchased a few detectors (after finding the older ones I already had were toast) and was going to make time for an evaluation of whether I would enjoy this activity. I had had hopes of getting my Wife outside and more active. Well I went out yesterday on my own Private Property and practiced. While my Wife did not join me (shame since I bought her a new detector) I brought in each find and showed her. Now I only searched about a ten foot radius in the front yard, but I found several items. Keep in mind that I am still learning my detector.

Finds:
1: a metal "truck" from an old skateboard
2: 2 pennies
3: one FDR dime, I thought it was a penny as our soil is so mineralized it was rusty. When I cleaned the back i thought it was a Mercury. But the front revealed it was a 1996.
4: a Hot Wheels type chassis with one wheel
5: a single monkey from the barrel, if you remember those (was in the hole with another item)
6: a copper wire that the detector told me was a penny, kind of makes sense.
7: a six inch nail, perfectly vertical in the ground. This was slightly wider than an eighth inch i diameter and about 5 inches under ground.

I also learned the value of my pinpointer, a tooth brush and a good pair of gloves. I will be buying a proper digging tool soon, as I was using a regular gardening shovel. It was during that last
find that I discovered how determined I was. The detector kept telling me there was something there, but the pinpointer kept losing the find. Kept giving intermittent hits. So I kept digging. By this time it was getting dark, so this was by flashlight. I would dig and crumble the dirt and watch for shapes, but nothing. then the little shovel uncovered the top of the nail. I pulled on it
, but no budge. Finally i got it out. Now I had also found tacks which would give intermittent hits, but this was a Big nail. It was the kind that would be used in a barn with thick timbers. Now I know of no buildings on the property of that type, especially near the house. Also weird was that is was perfectly vertical instead of laying sideways.
Anyways I was a little disappointed; but after thinking it over it over I wasn't likely to find big treasure by the house. Especially since this house was only built in 1969. At least I know my detector is working! I plan to make more time for this in the future and get the fundamentals down. Also wanted to thank those who have posted their tips and experiences.

BC

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71126.msg332884.html#msg332884

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
5%
Male
Australia

6065.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 78.0
Firefox 78.0

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 03:19:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by black00cat
  It was during that last
find that I discovered how determined I was. The detector kept telling me there was something there, but the pinpointer kept losing the find. Kept giving intermittent hits. So I kept digging. By this time it was getting dark, so this was by flashlight. I would dig and crumble the dirt and watch for shapes, but nothing. then the little shovel uncovered the top of the nail. I pulled on it
, but no budge. Finally i got it out.
 At least I know my detector is working! I plan to make more time for this in the future and get the fundamentals down. Also wanted to thank those who have posted their tips and experiences.
BC

Welcome to my world,
to our world.
You are hooked.
wait until the first silver or gold bit come out of the ground
Its a great hobby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71126.msg332888.html#msg332888

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline black00cat
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 86.0
Firefox 86.0

Awards

66TR,6000/d.6000/Di
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 07:21:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the reply Nickel-N,
I will pop in periodically as my schedule permits. I have almost 10 acres to practice on before  I get experienced enough to venture elsewhere. 6 acres of logged off area and the rest is residential. So different types of terrain to practice on. Seems as if this is just as much fun as fishing, but you get more exercise and there's less waiting. Will wait until payday to get more gear.

Thanks,
BC

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71126.msg332892.html#msg332892

Offline black00cat
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 87.0
Firefox 87.0

Awards

66TR,6000/d.6000/Di
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:32:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I recently purchased a 15 in Whites coil and field tested it in "the back 40". Seems I had one bear of a time ground balancing it. I came to a compromise and seems it only could detect about
3 inches. I found 4 aluminum diet Coke cans. I then switched to a Whites 9.5 inch coil (also ground balanced it) and found 3 more cans and two big nails. Only thing is that the smaller coil went deeper! The last can was 5 inches deep. I may have found a "sweet spot" for soil conditions and coil size. Also I could not pinpoint with the larger coil. Now I know there is heavy mineralization (iron) in the soil as even the Whites Bullseye II pointer chases "ghosts" within the plug holes. I also tried samples above ground to periodically check my detector. Have a 14K ring, nickel, a penny, flour gold. I found out that flour gold (20-50 mesh) is invisible to my detector! So I am looking for a similar sized solid nugget. I have also leaned not to trust the meter too much as there is a lot of overlap, and with differing size the depth isn't accurate. However if I pinpoint with the detector and watch for the furthest R.H. swing I get a better pinpoint (really helps with larger targets!). I was reading that aluminum will also register as gold, so dig aluminum too. Was really hoping the bigger coil would work better. Will have to try it at the beach, and if it doesn't work maybe use it to surf with.

I also ordered a Whites GMT. Back to the reading

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71126.msg332990.html#msg332990

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.