[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X 10.10.5
Mac OS X 10.10.5
Safari 10.1.2
Safari 10.1.2

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« on: January 28, 2018, 06:29:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wednesday last week was my first chance this year to visit my old dig site on the Afon Wen. When I left it in October, needing to carry out extensive repairs to my campervan, it was a fairly modest excavation, with a nice outflow channel and a dam which held back inflow from normal spate conditions.
On the techncial side the nugget line had been covered as expected by collapse of the mid-river gravel bank, which will require a couple of days dedicated scooping out.
However, on the bigger picture the local lads who had been digging about 150 yards above me had excavated a deepish trench all the way down to my site, banking up a steep dam along the entire gap, quite a magnificent sight in one way.
Acccording to my local friends some dopeheads (they leave beer bottles and mess around) excavated a large hole into the bank, but apparently didn't get much.
I have routine hosptial appointments for a curable condition until 8th February, then I will be free to return to the scene.
Problem is the authorities have contacted me to ask if I have been involved in digging the 150 yard trench, which has admittedly divided the river down the middle in parts.
I can of course prove that I haven't been there for the past three months, but this isn't the point.
The authorities have admitted that goldpanning has been a tradition for many years, possibly centuries, so it should be a protected cultural activity under the National Parks Act.
We shall see whether they will commence preliminary prosecution proceedings.
My local friends have been playing cat and mouse with the local police, who take photos and note vehicle details etc.
My prediction is that the authorities will eventually get fed up and leave us alone. But I wish they would clamp down instead on the dopeheads who scatter their rubbish and are probably driving under the influence of all sorts.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67022.msg323332.html#msg323332

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:31:06 pm by Waulespan »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 57.0
Firefox 57.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 07:05:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What a sad, sorry state in which you find yourself involved. I hope those idiots pay for their misdeeds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67022.msg323337.html#msg323337

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 58.0
Firefox 58.0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:24:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

We have our share of bone heads like that here too.  Muck things up and draw attentions we really don't need or wish.  Usually they don't last too long before they meet their ends but by then the damages are done, eaa?   Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67022.msg323341.html#msg323341

Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X 10.10.5
Mac OS X 10.10.5
Safari 10.1.2
Safari 10.1.2

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:09:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

The irony is that in 2011 the authorities used BBC Wales, local press and other forums to criticise my small digs, which I would say were well within the bounds of traditional gold panning. The massive exaggerations in the official anti-panning campaign drew the attention of the guys who are now involved! If they had considered the situation objectively, as part of the local customs, it could have been quietly managed, without attracting in the litter louts and potheads from far afield who occupy the public car parks in the forest. They will be back with a vengance in March.
Gold panning is now an extreme sport on the Wen and Mawddach, and I expect the 2018 season to either bring a solution or more problems. The wildlife police are over-stretched, so I don't think this will be a priority for them. In the long-run the river will fill in the holes and the main culprits will probably leave disappointed not to be millionaires. I have it on good authority that the same stretch, although not my bit, was hammered about 20 years ago by locals who used a gravity dredge and other machinery. I try to explain this but they aren't interested.
As they say, 'Where there's treasure there's always trouble.'

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67022.msg323346.html#msg323346

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 58.0
Firefox 58.0

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:58:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Funny how that happens.   We have the same but yet Opposite happening here.   The Media produce these stupid ""Reality TV Shows""  portraying people making piles of money Metal Detecting or Prospecting.  The every Tom , Dick and Harry  Simple minded rush out to have a go and being Clueless of the Rule, Laws and Regulations Make Messes.   Up goes the NO METAL DETECTING SIGNS and  More Regulations on the Prospecting. 

Homefire

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67022.msg323352.html#msg323352

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.