[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Tony66Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:22:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm headed to Franklin NC in October to do some gem mining. We're renting a chalet or cabin to stay for a week and I wanted to bring my MD along and maybe detect around the place I'm going to stay. I've heard not all MD's will work there due to the soil. Is this true? I have a BH QD II and i'm hoping it will at least find something. I'm not looking for much but I would prolly do a back flip if I found something as simple as a CW button or coin or anything from  that time frame. It would definitely be a thrill. I noticed there was nobody in the NC forum but hoped someone would see this and respond anyway.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3926.msg26691.html#msg26691

Offline paulnc57
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro currently, previously White's and Garrett's
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:27:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tony66,

Well I am new to the board but not NC.  As far as where you will be detecting, most any decent
modern detector will do fine in the NC mountains.  Now you may have to set ground or discrim.
(unless yours does this auto), but especially if you are hunting relics... knowing history of the
area you will be detecting is the ace up the sleeve.  Talk to the owners, locals upon arrival (older
is often best), research on the Internet will help a lot.  But back to your original question... yes
your unit should work here just fine.

BTW, enjoy the digs (gems).  I've done that once myself and though I found lower grade stones,
I DID find stones.  I'd suggest an all day run (take lunch), sun screen, a hat and an outer change
of clothes and wear old tennis shoes (you will get wet).  October may start out cool, but if this
winter is like most recent ones... it will be warm during the day (maybe even hot)... with comfy
humidity levels.  BTW, I took the bucket and dug my own rather than taking the prefilled buckets.

Good Luck and let me know if you hit it big!?

PaulNC57

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3926.msg45342.html#msg45342

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:21:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Paul, thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but it's been a little hectic on this end. We've had tp postpone our trip until next year, my wife's grandmother got real sick around May/June and eventually passed away on 8/11 so there were some unplanned flights to the west coast and we're down in FL. Because of the unfortunate turn of events we've postponed it to go about the same time next year.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3926.msg47553.html#msg47553

Offline paulnc57
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro currently, previously White's and Garrett's
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:28:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tony66,

Sorry to hear about your rough times, sorry for your loss.  No prob' on the
delay... I DO understand!

Stay in touch and I'll try to dig up some pics of my finds.  This may take a
while as it was with my "ex" of a few years, and I've packed a lot of that
away.  But, I'll try to find the pics and the locations I visited.

Take care!

Paulnc57

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3926.msg47702.html#msg47702

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

That would be great. We were planning on staying a week and set aside 1.5 to 2 days for mining. We wanted to hit at least 2 different mines (maybe 3) and were going to do just like you were saying to do. It would be nice to find that stone you can retire on but we just wanted to have fun playing in the dirt and anything we find would've been just icing on the cake. Sounds like we were wanting to do the same thing you did and I get the impression you had a great time. We were excited to go before her granny got sick and now we've got a whole year to get even more excited about going.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3926.msg47785.html#msg47785

Offline Nc-Dirty-digger
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab xterra70/garrett1350/minelab relic hawk
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hello the tony sorry for your loss.I live in NC and have done a lot of gem mining. It all started the first time i went to the mountians i think we spent 3 days my wife my son and myself and nearly $300 and had a blast but i must warn you it is very addictive! thats how it started for me and that led to finding places to go find and dig gems yourself instead of buying a bucket of dirt. there are a few places left to do this and is way more fun to find it in its natural state and knowone has ever seen the stone. you can do this at the Crabtree mine in Sprucepine NC there known for emeralds and saphirres.then there is emerald hollow mine in Alexander NC the name says it all.there are what i call bucket mines all over the NC mountains.it is a blast either way you do it.as for Metal detecting i do have a buddy that lives up that way that might would help you out as where to go detecting at.i am an avid detectorist and have travled all over in search of Civil War relics.but i would also like to visit the treasure cost of Florida and do some detecting there as well. i hope this helped you out some how. good luck with your endevour i hope you find that emerald of a life time and its still out there and NC is the place to find it NC facet grade emeralds are on the same level as Columbia emeralds and sometime sell for more because there rare.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3926.msg61234.html#msg61234

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 03:35:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Dirty Digger, thank you for the sentiments. Sorry it's taken so long to respond, it's just been a long year. Our plans are to hopefully make it to Franklin NC in 2010. We've been looking forward to going and playing in the dirt for a while. We've joked about finding retirement (the big one) but in all honesty, we'd be tickled to find anything at all, we just want to have fun doing it. My own hope was to bring my detector along and detect on the property of whatever cabin or whatever we rent for that week. There's so much history that took place on those mts that I figured "hey, ya never know, ya might get lucky". If I did find a CW relic, look for the short, fat, bald guy that hurt himself doing a cartwheel...LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3926.msg63518.html#msg63518

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: